2014 15" MBP Iris + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [Dschijn]

This (my) setup. What hardware would I need to do all the the things you did in your setup but with the 980ti? Listing it down would be helpful. Thank you so much for the help!

@Tango: Did you take a look at page one? :D

I listed all the hardware I used and it's gonna work with a GTX 980Ti as well.

Be aware that I used a powered riser, but the usage of powered risers isn't recommended. But you will need a riser if using the eGPU setup with a ITX case (like I did).

You can get a high end x16 riser with propper isolation/shielding for electro magnetic protection (without molex power!!!) and power the AKiTiO with a Molex -> Barrel mod:

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8317-%5Bguide%5D-making-molex-barrel-adapter.html

Please also read the basic guide:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10061-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-macs.html

So all I need is the Sonnet III-D, 980ti, high end x16 riser with propper isolation/shielding for electro magnetic protection, Windows 8.1 through Bootcamp and a Thunderbolt cable?

@Tango:No… ^^

You will only need a riser if you take a AKiTiO and put it all into a PC case.

With a Sonnet III-D (1000$ btw) you just need the 980Ti and the 6/8-Pin PCIe cables that you have to mod so they can be attached to the Sonnets PSU.

Here are great guides and videos with the Sonnet III-D:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/10088-2012-mac-mini-gtx970%4010gbps-tb1-sonnet-iii-d-win8-1-%5Beoiz%5D.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/7685-2013-11-macbook-air-titan%4010gbps-tb1-sonnet-ee-iii-d-osx10-9-4-%5B-kryzaach%5D.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8059-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-iii-d-osx10-10-%5Bmark%5D.html

With an Akitio, I will need a riser (with a molex adapter or not?), the GPU, a PSU and a Thunderbolt cable then. Right? Sorry for being ignorant ;)

Plus PCIe cables (6/8 pin).

Again, you only need a riser (which is not recommended) without power, if you want to relocate the graphics card outside the AKiTiO box (like putting it all into a PC case).

Please get a powerful 500+W PSU (don't try to be smart and get a 300W one…).

You will also need cables and a barrel adapter to power the AKiTiO. For that please read:

1. http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10061-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-macs.html

2. http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8317-%5Bguide%5D-making-molex-barrel-adapter.html

• 8 months later...
On 6/1/2015 at 11:34 PM, Dschijn said:

Again, you only need a riser (which is not recommended) without power, if you want to relocate the graphics card outside the AKiTiO box (like putting it all into a PC case).

Please get a powerful 500+W PSU (don't try to be smart and get a 300W one…).

You will also need cables and a barrel adapter to power the AKiTiO. For that please read:

1. http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10061-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-macs.html

2. http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8317-%5Bguide%5D-making-molex-barrel-adapter.html

Hi Dschijn,

I've read several of your builds, appreciate all the detailed info you provide. I'm very close to beginning a an EGPU build with this version of yours as the template.

Before I start buying parts in I just wanted to double check a couple of things.

I'm using a mid-2014 retina 15" and at the moment when I'm gaming I run bootcamp off an ssd attached via USB.

If I were to use the Akitio would I be able to mount the ssd inside the pc tower alongside the GPU and share connectivity along the thunderbolt cable? I'm thinking if I was to do this I would require the Akitio Thunder2 Quad and PCIE to Sata adapter...... Do you think this could create a bottleneck? It's not a big problem if this is not possible  but would just be a much neater setup.

Also I'm slightly confused about the connection between the GPU and Akitio when inside the computer tower using a GPU that is too big for the Akitio box. Are there loose cables inside the Akitio that make it so the connection can be made and they then just lie next to each other inside the case? Because I would rather not cut or modify the Akitio if possible.

Thanks very much in advance.

Great work

@ElectricCreep I wouldn't use the TB connection too much with additional SSDs. One SSD might be alright, but multiple and a high bandwidth might limit the eGPU. So I would say it's better to use the 2nd TB Port on the MacBook. But I am not sure if the two ports offer independent bandwidth or if they are combined.

I am using external SSDs with USB 3 and am very pleased. Of course not the best way to use an SSD, but good enough for some games/data.

What Retina MacBook is it? With Iris only or with a dGPU as well?

With a longer GPU and a relocated AKiTiO you must use a PCIe riser. Often they can cause problems, but ordering a high quality one is fine.

Try and look for Li-Heat x16 PCIe riser which is shielded.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dschijn,

I just installed my new setup following Techinferno wonderful guides: rMBP 13" early 2015 8Go, i7, Windows 10 and GTX970 Zotac.

I might have an issue, maybe you can help me :).

When running the last Tom Clancy's game (The Division) on my computer (Optimus working, I configured The Division to run with High Performance GPU into the NVidia 3D panel), the fan (of the mac) is running at 100% (6200 rpm), because the temp of the four cores of my CPU is between 90 and 100°C.

Is it a normal behavior?

Regards

On 3/31/2016 at 8:37 AM, Dschijn said:

@Wsc Yes, that is normal! :(
You can install Intel XTU and limit the CPUs turbo to 3GHz and lower the CPUs voltage by sth like -50mV (you can test to get even lower).

Hi Dschijn,

Thanks for the tip, I'll try asap and get back to you.

Regards

• 4 months later...

I am planning on building a new egpu for a 2015 MBPr 15 inch with iris pro. I will be using an atx PSU with modded extension cables within the akitio thunder2 powering an EVGA gtx 1060 SC. Is it possible to use both of the thumderbolt 2 ports to stack the bandwith preformance? Has anyone had any major issues with a setup similar to this one (disregarding the first question)? Also how would I go about getting the internal monitor to work with the egpu? I have used a previous setup with a gtx 960 on a PC but was never able to get the internal to work. It always had to be an external monitor to use it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2016 at 0:37 AM, Dschijn said:

You can not combine both TB ports! The planed setup looks fine, but (AFAIK) nobody knows how to force eGPUs to run on the internal display. :(

I have ordered the part to complete this however i just wanted to make sure of one thing. I can use any 12v leads on a PSU for the barrel plug correct? My plan is to use the the 2 yellow and and 2 ground on the 24 pin ATX plug to power the box then a ground and the turn-on wire to a switch for the PSU to turn on. Obviously with the 8 pin to my GPU as well.

13 hours ago, Lucas114846 said:

I have ordered the part to complete this however i just wanted to make sure of one thing. I can use any 12v leads on a PSU for the barrel plug correct? My plan is to use the the 2 yellow and and 2 ground on the 24 pin ATX plug to power the box then a ground and the turn-on wire to a switch for the PSU to turn on. Obviously with the 8 pin to my GPU as well.

Why the 24-pin? Another 8-pin is much more suited to provide much more power.

9 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Why the 24-pin? Another 8-pin is much more suited to provide much more power.

My goal is to have a switch near the front of the thunder2 to power up the PSU. So rather then running 3 or more connections only running 2 is much easier and cleaner if i can provide power to the thunder2 enclosure with the same connection. I do have a 24 pin sleeved extension laying around that I could Pull all other pins and just leave the 6 wires grouped together in 3 sleeves. One for the 2 Grounds, One for the 2 12v and one for the power switch.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2014 15" MBP Iris + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [Dschijn]