NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

Are you playing it on PC or Xbox? I ended up buying AW for Xbox this time around. I had bought ghosts on PC and it was awful and there was like no one playing online. COD on PC seems to be good for the first year or so then no one really plays them, at least in my experience so far.

people were still playing BLOPS 2 well up to the launch of AW on PC. I was going back into BLOPS 2 to get used to the mechanics and yeah people were still playing it probably because it's not the crappy backwards POS that is Ghosts.

the PC version of AW is a decent port and performs better than Ghosts did on PC, so yeah get it on PC if you can/want :P

i've seen a low to extra setting comparison and it's hardly a noticable difference.

OK so Here's a screenshot - this is running the new vbios with voltage and power target increased. I'm getting a lower score than before in 3DMark FireStrike - with stock I managed well over 9000. If I try to increase the core or memory 3D Mark just crashes... what am I doing wrong???

post-30790-14494999052866_thumb.png

OK so Here's a screenshot - this is running the new vbios with voltage and power target increased. I'm getting a lower score than before in 3DMark FireStrike - with stock I managed well over 9000. If I try to increase the core or memory 3D Mark just crashes... what am I doing wrong???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13535[/ATTACH]

bump up the voltage? are you using the 330W PSU?

No. I'm using the 230W PSU that came with the laptop - MSI GT72 Dominator Pro.

oh ok, best to see how much the PSU is pulling by getting a wattage meter and see what its being pulled at stock speeds first then see how much you have to work with.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's the PSU. The vbios disables throttling so that power draw is higher, and is too high during he combined test, which has the highest draw. Your combined score is 1/3 what it should be, meaning your PSU is shutting down, running the test off of battery.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's a glitch in the mission where you're stealthing your way into Irons' private estate. Whenever I do a kill with the grapple hook the dead body would float 2-3 feet in the air holding the default pose (standing with arms out).

s1_sp64_ship_2014_11_16_01_02_41_399-1024x576.jpg

Not game breaking but definitely immersion breaking.

Steam overlay doesn't work for me either so I have no idea if I have received a steam achievement or a pm.

Are you playing it on PC or Xbox? I ended up buying AW for Xbox this time around. I had bought ghosts on PC and it was awful and there was like no one playing online. COD on PC seems to be good for the first year or so then no one really plays them, at least in my experience so far.

That did happen to me once on that same screen, but i had shot the guy and he rose up. haha

And since I died a few times I went right back to that exact same place to shoot the same guy a few times. He died like normal unfortunately. :D

people were still playing BLOPS 2 well up to the launch of AW on PC. I was going back into BLOPS 2 to get used to the mechanics and yeah people were still playing it probably because it's not the crappy backwards POS that is Ghosts.

the PC version of AW is a decent port and performs better than Ghosts did on PC, so yeah get it on PC if you can/want :P

i've seen a low to extra setting comparison and it's hardly a noticable difference.

Bops2 was a solid online game.

As to games, I usually buy them for xbox and play with my friends. The pc is for testing and single player.

If it throttles after a reboot then it has to be a hardware issue maybe in the firmware?

I think you are right there. it's the ec firmware that's throttling. i updated my firmware that resolves the throttling issue and it's gone when i benchmarked it with 3dmark.

That did happen to me once on that same screen, but i had shot the guy and he rose up. haha

And since I died a few times I went right back to that exact same place to shoot the same guy a few times. He died like normal unfortunately. :D

Bops2 was a solid online game.

As to games, I usually buy them for xbox and play with my friends. The pc is for testing and single player.

i have these for my settings

VJimaga.jpg

and they give a good solid 60fps. though MP i can do 1080p for some reason....hmmm...

I think you are right there. it's the ec firmware that's throttling. i updated my firmware that resolves the throttling issue and it's gone when i benchmarked it with 3dmark.

if it was a specific driver then it would throttle every time the pc loaded up and it could be easily tested with the previous drivers to see if it occurs. if it throttles regardless of what driver version then it has to be a hardware fault or at least something in the firmware.

i am no expert, just using whatever deductive reasoning i have :P

Prema and/or SVL7, do you think a copy of the 4gb 980m vbios from Dell would go a long way to helping AW users with this throttling problems (educated guess) ?

I've heard the vbios might come as part of an overall system bios, which then needs to be isolated.

What are your thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1

Prema and/or SVL7, do you think a copy of the 4gb 980m vbios from Dell would go a long way to helping AW users with this throttling problems (educated guess) ?

I've heard the vbios might come as part of an overall system bios, which then needs to be isolated.

What are your thoughts?

Cross-flashing 4gb/8GB versions semi-bricks the card, also crossflashing MXM with onboard versions results in erratic behavior.

AW has a system BIOS interference problem...we made some progress in reducing the amount of throttle but it isn't entirely gone, yet.

svl7 should have his AW system back up and running soon to work on it directly...

So does that mean I need a 330w PSU? There doesn't seem to be one for the GT72.

If I have to stick with the 230w PSU should I abandon the idea of using this unlocked vbios?

I think it's better if you have a higher capacity PSU, maybe people have done mods on it, or maybe you can find one that's compatible.

If you have to stick with the 230W PSU then you really need a Watt Meter (like Kill A Watt), so you can measure power draw for your testing & tweaking. Then you'd tweak optimal settings to stay within the limits of the PSU. Maybe you'd decide to reduce any CPU overclock, or even underclock & undervolt the CPU and then (overvolt &) overclock the GPU depending on if you needed more or less GPU vs CPU performance for any of the games you play. You'd be tweaking to focus your limited power to the most effective component - whether that be CPU or GPU - probably best results shifting the emphasis to the GPU.

I would like to flash the overclock bios as wel but it gives me a problem. First i have to boot in pure dos mode because i have a m15x but when i want to back up the vbios than it say's adapter not reconised. Latest nvflash and bios version 09. I know i am a noob but i always worked with AMD never nVidia

so i would humblely ask for help

I would like to flash the overclock bios as wel but it gives me a problem. First i have to boot in pure dos mode because i have a m15x but when i want to back up the vbios than it say's adapter not reconised. Latest nvflash and bios version 09. I know i am a noob but i always worked with AMD never nVidia

so i would humblely ask for help

I don't see why you have to flash it in pure DOS mode. Can't you load up Windows with the 980M installed, then follow the instructions in post #1 of this thread to flash the card from an elevated command prompt in Windows? mvnflash only works in windows apparently.

Well i tryed mnvflash as well but it just won't work, it closes the the window when ever i press enter or Q. I have a 970 but flashing is the same. So i should work than on mnvflash ? Maybe i need to delete the drivers and disable the adapter than as wel? .......sorry if i sound stupid but i am trying.

Well i tryed mnvflash as well but it just won't work, it closes the the window when ever i press enter or Q. I have a 970 but flashing is the same. So i should work than on mnvflash ? Maybe i need to delete the drivers and disable the adapter than as wel? .......sorry if i sound stupid but i am trying.

Yes, you need to do everything that's listed in the instructions in the first post. Have a read of those & then see if that works.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, no dice with SLI. Might be a hopeless endeavor... time will tell. I have one 980M working pretty well. Having to settle for using a machine with only one GPU is a massive disappointment, but it will have to do for now until I can afford to buy a machine these will work in that overclocks the CPU as well or better than my M18xR2.

Question: Are any of you P377SM-A owners able to run at least 4.5GHz stable with manageable temps with a 4930MX, or is that also a hopeless endeavor? I prefer the P570WM3, but open to other option if there are any that are good enough. Please let me know. I'm not sure how long I can tolerate a single GPU, especially considering that I expected better performance than 780M SLI when I dropped $1500 on these bad boys.

For you guys that actually like one GPU, be advised these benchmarks drew between 315W and 340W with just one card.

Vantage: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

S0HMoMYh.jpg

3DMark11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

qnrkFlHh.jpg

Fire Strike: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

pvwjXEhh.jpg

For reference, stock GPU clocks (but still 4.5GHz on CPU)

post-119-14494999053633_thumb.jpg

Ok the way I flashed and this is simple was

1. Download the mnvflash which svl7 has linked in the 1st post

2. Download the vBIOS for whatever card you have

3. Extract the files from the 2 folders onto your desktop

4. If you have an Alienware, make sure in your BIOS you have the "load legacy option ROM enabled" before doing anything

5. I was in Optimus mode and I disabled the 970M in device manager

6. I open command promot in Windows, navigated to the folder and ran mnvflash

7. See the link in Svl7's OP about using nvflash and use those commands.. Remember program is now mnvflash

8. Once flashing is done, restart, disable the legacy option and then renable your 970/980M in device manager

Now my one concern is does this method work for those with 120Hz screens? Svl7 has a AW17 with 120Hz screen so can anyone confirm if this method works?

• Thumbs Up 1

i am wondering i dont have optimus or a second GPU so how Can i close the GTX in device manager? this means i dont have a card working right?

It's fine. You won't lose display if you disable the primary gpu. You're just disabling the driver. Not the entire GPU hardware.

Cross-flashing 4gb/8GB versions semi-bricks the card, also crossflashing MXM with onboard versions results in erratic behavior.

AW has a system BIOS interference problem...we made some progress in reducing the amount of throttle but it isn't entirely gone, yet.

svl7 should have his AW system back up and running soon to work on it directly...

Forgive ignorance on such a question, is any kind of modding of the 4gb VBIOS to make it play ball with the 8gb cards doable ?