svl7

NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

Hey guys! I have an Alienware 17r3 with the GTX 980m 8gb flavor, I have been attempting to flash my vbios with the .rom file provided here in the download section "rev.0". I made it through to the very end when I was supposed to flash the custom vbios and all I get is [ I/O ERROR: Cannot open file: BIOS.rom ] The only thing I think I might be missing is if I need to make the .Rom file into an Iso or not? I've read multiple different guides on here some from 2009 though and now I'm a little confused the first guide I read didn't use any kind of bootable drive it was all through cmd prompt, but then I see a couple others talking about converting it to an iso and putting it on a bootable thumb drive and so now I'm just lost.

I would very much appreciate anyone's wisdom on here since I'm pretty sure I'm destroying the environment with how many files ive downloaded and worked on trying to get this worked around. 

EXTRA INFO: I am also using the (m)nvflash utility provided in the same thread as the vbios file, it is running as administrator. new rom I'm trying to flash is named BIOS.rom

SPECS: AW17r3 / i7-6700HQ / 980m 8gb / 16gb ram / 1920x1080 / 1tb 7.2k HDD and (2) 256gb nvme ssd. System Bios: 1.4.4

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2018 at 12:11 AM, Suitercrew said:

Hey guys! I have an Alienware 17r3 with the GTX 980m 8gb flavor, I have been attempting to flash my vbios with the .rom file provided here in the download section "rev.0". I made it through to the very end when I was supposed to flash the custom vbios and all I get is [ I/O ERROR: Cannot open file: BIOS.rom ] The only thing I think I might be missing is if I need to make the .Rom file into an Iso or not? I've read multiple different guides on here some from 2009 though and now I'm a little confused the first guide I read didn't use any kind of bootable drive it was all through cmd prompt, but then I see a couple others talking about converting it to an iso and putting it on a bootable thumb drive and so now I'm just lost.

I would very much appreciate anyone's wisdom on here since I'm pretty sure I'm destroying the environment with how many files ive downloaded and worked on trying to get this worked around. 

EXTRA INFO: I am also using the (m)nvflash utility provided in the same thread as the vbios file, it is running as administrator. new rom I'm trying to flash is named BIOS.rom

SPECS: AW17r3 / i7-6700HQ / 980m 8gb / 16gb ram / 1920x1080 / 1tb 7.2k HDD and (2) 256gb nvme ssd. System Bios: 1.4.4

Alright. This is what finally worked for me, after hours of trial and error and piecing together additional steps from others posts:

(I have a Clevo P150SM-A /w a GTX 970M in it)

Before initiating this Flash process, go to your device manager > expand your display adapters > disable GTX980M. Now do the following -

1. Download the newest version of nvflash, instead.

2. Create a new folder in your C:\ drive and simply name it "nvflash"

3. Extract your nvflash download into said file.

4. Also move your BIOS.rom file into the C:\nvflash folder.

5. Open CMD as administrator and type the following, in order:

cd C:\nvflash

nvflash64 --protectoff

nvflash64 -6 BIOS.rom

After that last command prompt, you should get a message about the the subsystem ID's not matching.

Then you will be prompted to press "y" to confirm an override.

The final prompt will say something about the update being aborted/failing/etc.

Don't stress, it worked.

Go back into your device manager and enable GTX980M and reboot.

You'll be able to easily verify the success with Nvidia Inspector. Just start it up and open the Overclocking window. Your Voltage should now be unlocked.

Now OC to your hearts content.

So, it didn't work as well as I had thought. However, I did finally get it to work. So here's some new steps:

1. Go to device manager > display adapters > disable GTX980M

2. Download Mnvflash (which you have)

3. Create a new folder in your C:\ and label it as "mnvflash"

4. Extract all the contents of the mnvflash download into it

5. Drag your BIOS.rom file into the same folder

6. Open CMD as administrator

7. Now the type the following commands in order:

- cd C:\mnvflash

- nvflash -b filename.rom (replace 'filename' with your stock vBios. this one is optional. just more of a safety measure.)

- nvflash -6 BIOS.rom

This time, you should hear a beep while CMD runs.

You'll be prompted to hit 'y', twice.

Hopefully, everything works and you can go re-enable your display adapter and reboot.

If you don't already have it, download Nvidia Inspector upon restarting. Once you open the Overclocking menu that comes along with it, all the options should be usable.

Edited by Pawling21

Thanks for the help unfortunately it hasnt worked. I think the problem now is that I can't disable the 980m because as soon as I disable it nvflash wont recognize it in the system. If I disable it, then reboot with it disabled it'll show in the system like it should, but then im still getting the same errors. I even took maxwell tweaker to slightly alter MY stock bios thinking that would take out the wrong id problems, but that still has the same errors.

Posted (edited)

Update: I was finally able to flash the vbios by using -i o -6 commands and everything seemed to go well, even the prompt said it was successful.. Then I went to enable the gpu in device manager and the whole pc froze. I did a hard restart and now in device manager it says that Windows has disabled 980m because of problems. I tried reflashing but of course its being a b*tch like it was before and not letting me.

Edited by Suitercrew

Posted (edited)

Hello @Klem, i'm new you in this forum and was looking at this topic for an hour and i asked myself if you could modified a Acer E5 575g 578n , 950m 2gb no G-sync bios to unlock + 135Mz overclocking limit ? 

My laptop running at 62 degrees max ingame and askep myself if i could push the cores beyond the nvidia limit 

Sorry for my grammar , english isn't my native language :)

Thanks you and what an amazing job you're doing here 

NB : if you could send a link about how to flash a vbios i'll be happy because i want to do theses things right and not damage my computer :)

Edited by Mactoco

6 hours ago, Mactoco said:

Hello @Klem, i'm new you in this forum and was looking at this topic for an hour and i asked myself if you could modified a Acer E5 575g 578n , 950m 2gb no G-sync bios to unlock + 135Mz overclocking limit ? 

My laptop running at 62 degrees max ingame and askep myself if i could push the cores beyond the nvidia limit 

Sorry for my grammar , english isn't my native language :)

Thanks you and what an amazing job you're doing here 

NB : if you could send a link about how to flash a vbios i'll be happy because i want to do theses things right and not damage my computer :)

Hi
Your bios is write protected, therefore any modified bios can be flashed by using hardware SPI programmer only.

bon travail!

Posted (edited)

Hi @Klem

i'm noob, and english is not my native language.

can you make a modified vbios for GTX 940MX 4GB on my dell inspiron 7570 ?

In this laptop, the throttle temperature is set at 70 °C, and i want it to reach more than 70 °C.

can you please help me ?

đ.png

Edited by killa

9 hours ago, killa said:

Hi @Klem

i'm noob, and english is not my native language.

can you make a modified vbios for GTX 940MX 4GB on my dell inspiron 7570 ?

In this laptop, the throttle temperature is set at 70 °C, and i want it to reach more than 70 °C.

can you please help me ?

đ.png

Hi
Your bios is write protected, therefore any modified bios can be flashed by using hardware SPI programmer only.

Hi @Klem

I have been digging up the internet to try find a modded vbios for my asus 970m but I have had no luck at all.

I am trying to use core clock above 135+ limit and looking for power adjustment and prevent thermal throttling option in my OC widget.

Are you able to help me with this?

Here is the current vbios I'm using

gt3.rom

8 hours ago, Dazza said:

Hi @Klem

I have been digging up the internet to try find a modded vbios for my asus 970m but I have had no luck at all.

I am trying to use core clock above 135+ limit and looking for power adjustment and prevent thermal throttling option in my OC widget.

Are you able to help me with this?

Here is the current vbios I'm using

gt3.rom

Hi!

Ok. Check your PM.

@Klem

Ive been flashing the same way I flashed my other vbioses

Is there something i'm doing wrong?

5b278283c4f52_NewBitmapImage.thumb.jpg.cbfca80c254fde21ef959c7bef17115f.jpg

16 minutes ago, Dazza said:

@Klem

Ive been flashing the same way I flashed my other vbioses

Is there something i'm doing wrong?

5b278283c4f52_NewBitmapImage.thumb.jpg.cbfca80c254fde21ef959c7bef17115f.jpg

For flash any modified vbios, you should to use special version of nvflash (i sent it to you with vbios), also to flash any GT9XXM (Maxwell core), you should to use command :

nvflash  -6   vbiosname.rom

In your case, use command :  nvflash  -6  970MOD.rom

Success!

Managed to flash it with nvflash version provided.

Thanks Klem!

@Klem Hi 

i am new to the forum.i don't know english very much sorry for that.So i have a GeForce 940MX needed to be modded.Since my computer is laptop i have to find the vbios from my laptop manufacturers (Acer) website.i downloaded the originial bios and extract roms with PhoenixTool. i look for every rom with hex editor to find vbios.i have the maxwell bios tweaker but i don't know how to use it very much.i just need a stable vbios :angel:.Thanks. if someones need any more information i will check this thread.

4C316C9A-AFD9-4E33-AEAB-26C4A4999910_1603.ROM

friends, greetings!

how to lower the voltage by 980m?

So far I have the lowest Firestrike score for a 980m I've ever seen at 6807 points. I get power throttling like crazy. I hope the new vbios helps when I can finally download it.

Posted (edited)
On 14.11.2017 at 10:46 PM, koni.gtx970m said:

Hi,

Please unlock my gtx 970m 3072 MB (medion erazer x7841). 

Please find attached my oryginal bios.

Thank you!

970mx7841.rom

Hi @Klem i have the same same laptop (medion erazer x7841 aka clevo p670re3), could you unlock my vbios? I wish to be able to overclock more than stock 135mhz on core and memory, and increase tdp limit. 

My stock bios: 

Thanks in advance 

gtx970m3gb.rom

Edited by tarquini

2 hours ago, tarquini said:

Hi @Klem i have the same same laptop (medion erazer x7841 aka clevo p670re3), could you unlock my vbios? I wish to be able to overclock more than stock 135mhz on core and memory, and increase tdp limit. 

My stock bios: 

Thanks in advance 

gtx970m3gb.rom

Hi!

Ok. Check your PM.

1 hour ago, SaK3N said:

Hi, @Klem do you mind helping me mod my bios for me please? 

image.png.4577788a5ead5a5ad158d06d70289342.png

GM204.rom

Hi!

Ok. Check PM.

Posted (edited)

hey @Klem can you take a look at my gtx970m 3gb bios(alienware 15). I wish to unlock his overclock more than the stock 135mhz on core and memory, and maybe voltage control too. Thanks.  

GM204.rom

Edited by apo1996