svl7

NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

Hey guys! I have an Alienware 17r3 with the GTX 980m 8gb flavor, I have been attempting to flash my vbios with the .rom file provided here in the download section "rev.0". I made it through to the very end when I was supposed to flash the custom vbios and all I get is [ I/O ERROR: Cannot open file: BIOS.rom ] The only thing I think I might be missing is if I need to make the .Rom file into an Iso or not? I've read multiple different guides on here some from 2009 though and now I'm a little confused the first guide I read didn't use any kind of bootable drive it was all through cmd prompt, but then I see a couple others talking about converting it to an iso and putting it on a bootable thumb drive and so now I'm just lost.

I would very much appreciate anyone's wisdom on here since I'm pretty sure I'm destroying the environment with how many files ive downloaded and worked on trying to get this worked around. 

EXTRA INFO: I am also using the (m)nvflash utility provided in the same thread as the vbios file, it is running as administrator. new rom I'm trying to flash is named BIOS.rom

SPECS: AW17r3 / i7-6700HQ / 980m 8gb / 16gb ram / 1920x1080 / 1tb 7.2k HDD and (2) 256gb nvme ssd. System Bios: 1.4.4

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2018 at 12:11 AM, Suitercrew said:

Hey guys! I have an Alienware 17r3 with the GTX 980m 8gb flavor, I have been attempting to flash my vbios with the .rom file provided here in the download section "rev.0". I made it through to the very end when I was supposed to flash the custom vbios and all I get is [ I/O ERROR: Cannot open file: BIOS.rom ] The only thing I think I might be missing is if I need to make the .Rom file into an Iso or not? I've read multiple different guides on here some from 2009 though and now I'm a little confused the first guide I read didn't use any kind of bootable drive it was all through cmd prompt, but then I see a couple others talking about converting it to an iso and putting it on a bootable thumb drive and so now I'm just lost.

I would very much appreciate anyone's wisdom on here since I'm pretty sure I'm destroying the environment with how many files ive downloaded and worked on trying to get this worked around. 

EXTRA INFO: I am also using the (m)nvflash utility provided in the same thread as the vbios file, it is running as administrator. new rom I'm trying to flash is named BIOS.rom

SPECS: AW17r3 / i7-6700HQ / 980m 8gb / 16gb ram / 1920x1080 / 1tb 7.2k HDD and (2) 256gb nvme ssd. System Bios: 1.4.4

Alright. This is what finally worked for me, after hours of trial and error and piecing together additional steps from others posts:

(I have a Clevo P150SM-A /w a GTX 970M in it)

Before initiating this Flash process, go to your device manager > expand your display adapters > disable GTX980M. Now do the following -

1. Download the newest version of nvflash, instead.

2. Create a new folder in your C:\ drive and simply name it "nvflash"

3. Extract your nvflash download into said file.

4. Also move your BIOS.rom file into the C:\nvflash folder.

5. Open CMD as administrator and type the following, in order:

cd C:\nvflash

nvflash64 --protectoff

nvflash64 -6 BIOS.rom

After that last command prompt, you should get a message about the the subsystem ID's not matching.

Then you will be prompted to press "y" to confirm an override.

The final prompt will say something about the update being aborted/failing/etc.

Don't stress, it worked.

Go back into your device manager and enable GTX980M and reboot.

You'll be able to easily verify the success with Nvidia Inspector. Just start it up and open the Overclocking window. Your Voltage should now be unlocked.

Now OC to your hearts content.

So, it didn't work as well as I had thought. However, I did finally get it to work. So here's some new steps:

1. Go to device manager > display adapters > disable GTX980M

2. Download Mnvflash (which you have)

3. Create a new folder in your C:\ and label it as "mnvflash"

4. Extract all the contents of the mnvflash download into it

5. Drag your BIOS.rom file into the same folder

6. Open CMD as administrator

7. Now the type the following commands in order:

- cd C:\mnvflash

- nvflash -b filename.rom (replace 'filename' with your stock vBios. this one is optional. just more of a safety measure.)

- nvflash -6 BIOS.rom

This time, you should hear a beep while CMD runs.

You'll be prompted to hit 'y', twice.

Hopefully, everything works and you can go re-enable your display adapter and reboot.

If you don't already have it, download Nvidia Inspector upon restarting. Once you open the Overclocking menu that comes along with it, all the options should be usable.

Edited by Pawling21

Thanks for the help unfortunately it hasnt worked. I think the problem now is that I can't disable the 980m because as soon as I disable it nvflash wont recognize it in the system. If I disable it, then reboot with it disabled it'll show in the system like it should, but then im still getting the same errors. I even took maxwell tweaker to slightly alter MY stock bios thinking that would take out the wrong id problems, but that still has the same errors.

Update: I was finally able to flash the vbios by using -i o -6 commands and everything seemed to go well, even the prompt said it was successful.. Then I went to enable the gpu in device manager and the whole pc froze. I did a hard restart and now in device manager it says that Windows has disabled 980m because of problems. I tried reflashing but of course its being a b*tch like it was before and not letting me.

Edited by Suitercrew