NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

Hy people! And hy @Klem. I am trying for some time to unlock my GTX980m on a MSI GT72S 6QEDominator Pro G, but couldn't do it.

I saw this topic and mind to give it a shot. I saw the first 2 links in the topic were about 980 8gb and 960. None with my specific needs for a 980M 4GB.

Is there some way I can do it?

Here is my VBios dump from GPU-z https://filebin.net/5yccxk3rj0gekacr

*I can't upload file via forum*

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hey Klem,

I have an HP Elitebook 8770w with a GTX970M.

I would get constant black screens and freeze ups with default MSI vbios, so I loaded a Clevo vbios and made some tweaks to the clocks and volts and now its a little more stable, but I still get black screens and freeze ups daily.  I am definitely no expert in vbios modding, so I am hoping you could take a look and provide a modded vbios for this card with your recommended tweaks.

I have attached a copy of my vbios and a screenshot from NVIDIA Inspector.  Let me know if you need anything else.  Thanks!

I119sws.png

GM204-GTX970M-HP8770w.rom

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C7OGrJWb1hogL-qAwJwkL3kCckbQeX1m/view?usp=sharing

• Bios Modder
5 hours ago, Wolfrus said:

Hello to all.

I have Asus ROG g501vw with 960m 2gb and throttle issue - there was an instruction how to increase temp limit of gpu to 87/89 but all links is dead

Mb u can help, to find files or to mod bios - i try  to extract it from nb bios mod it with maxwell bios mod, insert and flash - but throttle didnt changed same 72c(

Hi!

Ok. Check PM.

2 hours ago, Dorkinstein said:

Hy people! And hy @Klem. I am trying for some time to unlock my GTX980m on a MSI GT72S 6QEDominator Pro G, but couldn't do it.

I saw this topic and mind to give it a shot. I saw the first 2 links in the topic were about 980 8gb and 960. None with my specific needs for a 980M 4GB.

Is there some way I can do it?

Here is my VBios dump from GPU-z https://filebin.net/5yccxk3rj0gekacr

*I can't upload file via forum*

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi!

Yes, I can prepare unlocked vBIOS for your card, but you should understand that GTX 980M can be overclocked very little even with unlocked vBIOS.

• Bios Modder
47 minutes ago, walks said:

Hey Klem,

I have an HP Elitebook 8770w with a GTX970M.

I would get constant black screens and freeze ups with default MSI vbios, so I loaded a Clevo vbios and made some tweaks to the clocks and volts and now its a little more stable, but I still get black screens and freeze ups daily.  I am definitely no expert in vbios modding, so I am hoping you could take a look and provide a modded vbios for this card with your recommended tweaks.

Hi!

No, unfortunately I can't help in your case. Sorry.

14 hours ago, Klem said:

Yes, I can prepare unlocked vBIOS for your card, but you should understand that GTX 980M can be overclocked very little even with unlocked vBIOS.

Yes I do understand that. I also tried afterburner but the difference is verry little between overclocked and stock.

But with the unlocked vBios can I overvolt?

Edited by Dorkinstein
added one question

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, Dorkinstein said:

But with the unlocked vBios can I overvolt?

Yes, but in GTX 980M case, overvolt can't help you to increase performance.

• Bios Modder
8 hours ago, Dorkinstein said:

@Klem Thanks for quick response.

I tought that with a little overvolt I could bring a little more stability in overclock.

Ok. Check PM.

Hello, I'm new and I'm not allowed to download files yet. Is there anywhere else I could download the GTX 970m "OC Edition" BIOS from the first post? Also, is it compatible with any standard MXM GTX 970m?

Edited by MatreyuC

• Bios Modder
11 minutes ago, MatreyuC said:

Is there anywhere else I could download the GTX 970m "OC Edition" BIOS from the first post?

Hi!

You can read the "User Account Promotion Rules":  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

13 minutes ago, MatreyuC said:

Also, is it compatible with any standard MXM GTX 970m?

The best choice is to unlock original stock vBIOS from your graphic card.

Nvidia84.04.67.00.08.rom

24 minutes ago, Klem said:

Hi!

You can read the "User Account Promotion Rules":  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

The best choice is to unlock original stock vBIOS from your graphic card.

I have subscribed to elite membership so as to skip the unranked account limits. My predicament with modding the original BIOS is that I accidentally lost the original, although I have been able to flash many other stock MXM versions of BIOS with success. Currently I just have the latest version for a 970m with matching device ID (BIOS v84.04.67.00.08)  I could find on techpowerup.com .

Edited by MatreyuC

• Bios Modder
22 minutes ago, MatreyuC said:

Currently I just have the latest version for a 970m with matching device ID (BIOS v84.04.67.00.08)  I could find on techpowerup.com .

Edited by MatreyuC

Does this BIOS version work fine on your laptop? Post here your screenshot in Nvidia Inspector utility (full window with overclocking sliders).

7 minutes ago, Klem said:

Does this BIOS version work fine on your laptop? Post here your screenshot in Nvidia Inspector utility (full window with overclocking sliders).

I'm still getting the same error when I try to attach files, so here is a google drive link for the screenshot as well: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jec0CgTYrK746vfM4byDC-njn9sIKUC6/view?usp=sharing

As far as I can tell, this BIOS version is perfectly stable, all of them I have tried were as well, so that's why I just figured I should stick with the newest one. I also have the normal default overclocking headroom in MSI afterburner, up to +135Mhz core and +1500Mhz memory.

Edited by MatreyuC

• Bios Modder
5 minutes ago, MatreyuC said:

I'm still getting the same error when I try to attach files, so here is a google drive link for the screenshot as well: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jec0CgTYrK746vfM4byDC-njn9sIKUC6/view?usp=sharing

As far as I can tell, this BIOS version is perfectly stable, all of them I have tried were as well, so that's why I just figured I should stick with the newest one. I also have the normal default overclocking headroom in MSI afterburner, up to +135Mhz core and +1500Mhz memory.

Ok. Check PM.

Hey, not sure why my stock rom I pulled from my card cannot be modded, but the last one I uploaded was the original rom that came with the card prior to me backing it up and then installing the Clevo vbios from techpowerup.

I then decided to compare the two side by side via Maxwell II Bios Tweaker and the settings on both were identical.  So there was no real benefit of using the Clevo rom over the stock one my card came with.

So I went back to my original Rom and made some adjustments via the Maxwell II Bios Tweaker, and now the card seems to be running stable.  Now that I am stable, should I only have to adjust the "Base Clock Offset" and the "Memory Clock Offset" on the "Overclocking" panel to get at least a modest overclock/performance boost?

y7weMxW.jpg

• Bios Modder
10 minutes ago, walks said:

Now that I am stable, should I only have to adjust the "Base Clock Offset" and the "Memory Clock Offset" on the "Overclocking" panel to get at least a modest overclock/performance boost?

Just move overclocking sliders to right side in Nvidia Inspector, and then click "Apply Clocks & Voltage".

1 hour ago, Klem said:

Just move overclocking sliders to right side in Nvidia Inspector, and then click "Apply Clocks & Voltage".

Ok, should I see the values stick after clicking "Apply Clocks & Voltage" ?

Below are the values I adjusted the sliders to, but when I click the apply button the settings clear and the defaults are shown again.

Is that normal?

Before clicking apply:

o2wJHgL.png

After Clicking apply:

y7weMxW.jpg

However, when I startup Afterburner and adjust the settings, I do see a difference in the Fire Strike tests I am running to gauge the difference in the settings.

Edited by walks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Klem and everyone!

I recently got an unlocked BIOS (full FD unlock) and I'm playing with some settings and OC. Now I'm trying to get rid of the 135mhz limit and power limit, and voltage limit on my 940MX, but i'm not getting anywhere... And I'm not quite sure if those limitation can be configured on the tweaker, or if requires a hex edit, also, there was 2 vbios that matches my current vbios version on my BIOS dump, so I don't know wich one to use.  So I would love an explanation on that, and some help on modding vBIOS, and how to properly put it back on BIOS file for flashing. Thanks!

*Edit*

The file oprom.bin is the one with the same version currently installed on my PC. I tried to mod the file with maxwell tweaker, than replaced the stock rom on BIOS file with the modified rom, flashed using FPTw, the flash was successful, but after restart non of my alteration on GPU clocks worked...

I'm uploading the 2 vBIOSes i got

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sSUsvtRaKsm0MtUymEH_Q2RUdFS4MGAE/view?usp=sharing

Edited by fairestmeat27

• 2 weeks later...

Master KLEM,

I have a power throttling with my Quadro M4000m from DELL;  anytime I try a benchmark or demanding application, GPU-z shows me a PerfCap reason: PWR, and that limits core clocks under 848MHz or less.

Tried overclocking it a bit, and flashed 2 different vbios from a Notebookreview forums user, but becomes a little unstable. I have seen some other Members in this topic requesting an unlocked VBios, could I ask for your help to mod mine?

Thank You

EDIT: Tried to upload my vbios (M4000m.rom), but forum shows me an error

Edited by MeGaViC78
Media upload problem

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Klem,

Sorry for bothering, I recently reinstalled my OS and accidently deleted the modded bios you sent me 2 years ago. I browsed into my PMs, but the file you uploaded in 2018 is not available anymore. Would you mind sending it to me again, please ? My card is a GTX 980m 4gb, in a AW15 rig from early 2015. Feel free to contact me if you need further details !