NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

• Bios Modder
47 minutes ago, Liuteva said:

When the GPU reach 74c, it will starts to lower the clock speed.

In this laptop, increase throttling limit will be possible only by using hardware programmer.

On 1/3/2015 at 8:45 AM, svl7 said:

NVIDIA 'Maxwell' VBIOS mods

Here you find modified VBIOS versions for the mobile parts of the Nvidia 'Maxwell' series.

The VBIOS versions in this post are tweaked for performance and versatility. You'll get almost complete control over the performance parameters of your GPU.

List of available VBIOS mods:

• Nvidia GTX 970m - 'OC edition' rev0 - >> 6 GB Version << - modified by @johnksss & svl7 -> see attachments
  • Nvidia GTX 980m - 'OC edition' rev0 - >> 8 GB Version << - modified by @johnksss & svl7 -> see attachments

Screenshot demonstrating the capabilities of the 970m versions:

post-80-14494998984093_thumb.png

>> Read the instructions carefully before flashing! <<

If anything is unclear after reading or if you have additional remarks, please post in the thread.

Flashing:

- Go to the device manager -> 'Display Adapters' -> chooser your GPU, right click on it and choose disable

- Flash the VBIOS with mnvflash, a modified version of nvflash (see attachments). Here are detailed instructions for nvflash in case you aren't familiar with it.

- After the flashing is done: Enable the GPU once again in the device manager.

- Reboot

Do NOT use driver 347.09, it's broken and useless and won't allow you to overclock, even with the stock firmware.

Don't distribute the files hosted here outside of Tech|Inferno. Don't modify the files you download here.

mnvflash_windows_5.196.zip

Nvidia GTX 980m - 'OC edition' rev0.zip

Nvidia GTX 970m - 'OC edition' rev0.zip

slv7 (or others familiar),

Are these vbios compatible with the latest 361.43 drivers for the 970m oc edition?

Thanks

• Bios Modder
15 hours ago, Liuteva said:

What is this mean? For normal end user not possible? And the both fans are not adjustable too.

For end-user only two ways:

1. Waiting when Asus will make new version of bios, with increased throttling limit.

2. Buy a simple hardware programmer (for example ch341a) with SOIC clip, and flash mod bios with it. Unfortunately in your case flash mod bios with software, doesn't help with throttling limit.

Edited by Klem

• Bios Modder
9 hours ago, DeskMan said:

slv7 (or others familiar),

Are these vbios compatible with the latest 361.43 drivers for the 970m oc edition?

Thanks

Right now Nvidia drivers 361.xx versions is not best choice. We need wait next version, or use 359.06

7 hours ago, DeskMan said:

Also, are they compatible with the 970m oc edition that is in the msi gs60 ghost pro 6qe 4k?

Thanks!

Currently, on this forum not available  a ready-modified vBIOS  for your laptop. Maybe later it will be done. It is requared some free time.

Anyone got an M17X R4 with this VBIOS? I definitely want to get this running but at the moment the system is so temperamental. When I received the laptop and used FN F7 then I got 8 beeps and had to take the card out change the BIOS settings and re-install windows. And I'm running PEG so to flash this vBios I'll have to take the plunge again.. and use DDU as I used modified drivers for PEG :/  

Laptop specs will be uploaded in sig asap.

Any idea why this isn't working? I've enabled "Load legacy option rom" disabled 970m in device manager. Ran command as administrator but it doesn't do anything. I'm trying to save at the moment with "-b" and "--save" but same output. 

flash.jpg_zpsgg9xmuj4.png

<---Update-->

Managed to do i in the end, it's quite weird but I don't receive any responses from the program until it has finished. So after running the command I wait a few seconds and press "y". When I went to flash the vbios I had to press "y" every 15 seconds or so, only when the program has actually flashed the vbios will I see all of the questions such as "Press Y to continue" 

Edited by MrSweet1991

Great result, with the same overclock as my previous vbios my score increased from 7092 to 7151 (not sure what vbios was on my 970m before but it allowed a maximum of +135 on the core) while reaching only 66 Degrees on the 970m =]

Edited by MrSweet1991

Hello,

Made an account here since I will be shortly getting a Laptop with a 970m 3GB, and was wondering/hoping about progress on those versions? I still only saw the 6GB version links.. and I am highly interested in squeezing a bit more out of my mobile chips. :)

I skimmed through the thread pages but didn't see a reference in case it was lost in the middle, so apologies if I missed it.

• 2 weeks later...

"YOU GOT 2 GRAPHIC CARD IN YOUR COMPUTER 1 INTEL 1 NVIDIA I THINK  , @ijozic so its safe to do or i think your are a noob ???? you will only disable the nvidia but your screen will work and after the job enable it . "

Oh, so Mr. Guest knows better than me how many graphic cards I have in my laptop. FYI, some laptops use only the dedicated cards because they have screens which use more than 8 bits for the color which is still the limit on the Intel GPU's.

On 2/23/2016 at 2:22 AM, Freakel_Sneak said:

Better question, how can i tell if my 980m 8gb is MXM or soldered? seen a couple guys saying that all 8gb were mxm but i dont know how reliable that info was, on an alienware 17 (late 2015)

Hi, @Freakel_Sneak - AFAIK, all AW 15 and 17 units from 2014 onwards use soldered chips and gpus. If you're unsure, open up the bottom and look for a distinct card, separate from the motherboard, about the size of two playing cards side by side.

On 2/18/2016 at 11:23 AM, vmt8 said:

How do you flash the VBIOS?

I upgraded on my Sager NP9150/Clevo P150EM from the NVidia 680M to the NVidia 980M

Currently running Eurocom BIOS version 1.02.17EC v3b

Will be using VBIOS from here

https://biosmods.wordpress.com/gtx9/

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Hi, @vmt8 - all vbios packages from Premamod come with a flashing utility and instructions. Just pull down the package you need and read the README.txt.

• Thumbs Up 1

For those that flashed SVL's rom to a Blue Clevo Card. How are you modifying the nvidia inf file to install the driver? I think I am doing something seriously wrong and getting blue screens.

Thanks.

• Bios Modder
On ‎01‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 5:54 AM, saml01 said:

For those that flashed SVL's rom to a Blue Clevo Card. How are you modifying the nvidia inf file to install the driver? I think I am doing something seriously wrong and getting blue screens.

Thanks.

Just try read this thread:  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9447-gtx-980m-8gb-from-msi-in-alienware-17/

Hello, 

Newbie on this forum, I'm interested in the overclocking (above the +135MHZ that I can do basically) of my 970m 6GB on my GT72.

I have read a bit on the web about it and it looks a big secret this Maxwell Overclocking. I mean that usually, it is easy and free to find information on how to do overclocking (I have done a lot of overclocking on Desktop PC) over the web. 

Since 2 or 3 days I'm looking for information about overclocking my 970m 6Gb and I found out that the only places where there is information, I need to be a Pro-active member or people are asking me for money (!) ...there is a guy Svet on some MSI forum who is asking for money to do the modification on your laptop !!! Never saw this before...

Therefore, I have some questions : 

1) Is this so called overclocking (above the base overclocking - I mean  an overclocking that would permit me to push the Vcore and to go above the +135MHZ base oveclocking on the core) really exist ? It looks like if I read this thread ;)

2) If it exists, why so much "business" or "secrecy" around it ? 

3) If overclocking possible on my 970m, can somebody explain me shortly what is needed ? Driver modification ? Bios modification ?

Hope my questions are OK. 

thanks a lot for any help about this