NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

Hi all, just recently I manage to install a pair of GTX 980M in my M18X-R2 replacing my good old 780Ms and there is some stuff I need to know, mainly about Nvidia Inspector and how to set up correctly the clocks to prevent throttle and why can't I adjust the power target. Btw my cards are already flashed with Prema mod 1.1.1 and I`m using the latest nvidia drivers. Can someone help Thanks

[ATTACH]15916[/ATTACH]

IIRC they were removed by prema.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
So how come nobody has made a 980m vbios with "baked in" overclocks??? Is it not possible to do??? The 980m is capable of so much more than the unlocked rev 0 bios! If we were able to overclock the vbios we wouldn't have to worry about stupid NVIDIA disabling overclocking!!!

Cant see it being too hard to do. I've made one for my 970m but I keep hitting power limits and the changes I make with Maxwell tweaker don't seem to make any difference. Given that there are people out there infinitely better at this than me who have been able to properly unlock a vBIOS it seems unnecessary and a bit dangerous to bake in overclocks, if you don't have to. A software overclocker on an unlocked vBIOS will be far safer if unstable/unsafe settings are entered as compared to baking them into the vBIOS.

I previously had the 680M and was able to successfully overclock the vbios to whatever I wanted. With BIOS tweaker 2 and the 980m, the GPU throttles any time I overclock and flash the VBIOS. The software overclocking works fine, I just have always preferred a VBIOS overclock. I must not be doing something right. I would be willing to pay somebody a reasonable amount of money that could bake in overclock to my VBIOS!!!

EDIT:

It appears the 980m on the G751JY is confiremd to be an MXM board card, so vBios can be dumped, modded and flashed like for the other MXM GPUs (like Clevo).

the only difference seems to be that this 980m cards have 4Gb Vram (instead of 8) and are apparently soldered to the mobo.

Big thanks to Prema for the time it took to help modding this model's vBios :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any reason why this vbios drops to 405MHz when it hits 86C? I love the fact it runs at 1v (although it isn't stable out of the box at 1202 it works perfectly at 1126) because I have cards that get insanely hot. The problem is when they hit 86C the clocks drop to 405MHz until they drop to around 80C and then the cycle starts over. It isn't a temperature target issue as that appears to be set at 99C out of the box unless it's being read wrong?

Is there any reason why this vbios drops to 405MHz when it hits 86C? I love the fact it runs at 1v (although it isn't stable out of the box at 1202 it works perfectly at 1126) because I have cards that get insanely hot. The problem is when they hit 86C the clocks drop to 405MHz until they drop to around 80C and then the cycle starts over. It isn't a temperature target issue as that appears to be set at 99C out of the box unless it's being read wrong?

Temp readings are probably not adjusted in this vBIOS and display wrong values. Sounds like it'll throttle when reaching 87c just as the stock vB.

Temp readings are probably not adjusted in this vBIOS and display wrong values. Sounds like it'll throttle when reaching 87c just as the stock vB.

Thanks Prema. It throttles worse than the stock when it hits 87C. Instead of throttling down in increments it drops straight to 405MHz. I didn't want to bug you for a 1v version of your vbios but this one drops my temps with max fans down to 73 and 71C in Heaven and it takes quite awhile to hit 87C without max fans so my cards definitely like the lower voltage.

Thanks Prema. It throttles worse than the stock when it hits 87C. Instead of throttling down in increments it drops straight to 405MHz. I didn't want to bug you for a 1v version of your vbios but this one drops my temps with max fans down to 73 and 71C in Heaven and it takes quite awhile to hit 87C without max fans so my cards definitely like the lower voltage.

vBIOS without Turbo throttle to lower power states instead of doing it in increments.

Drop me a mail with your new ASIC scores and I'll drop the Turbo voltage on my mod to whatever you want.

Have one user that wanted them down to 0.90v on the 980M and his cards are running just fine even with such a drop.

Though it got a bit unstable at 0.85v... :D

• Bios Modder
hi guys, I have alienware 15 with 4GB gtx 980M. I know I am kinda late to the game. but i'd like to know how to flash the bios of gtx 980M 4GB for alienware 15. thanks in advance.

Just read first post of this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Bios Modder
but I believe it is only for the 8GB version??

For flashing procedure does not matter how much memory on the card. But if you asked about file vbios, then yes, file vbios in the first post for GTX 980M only with 8Gb memory.

• 2 weeks later...
I`m sorry for not reading the whole thread, as my question may already have been answered.

But will this bios let me undervolt my 980m?

Yes, doesn't matter if it's from prema or svl7...though I prefer prema's mod.

Yes, doesn't matter if it's from prema or svl7...though I prefer prema's mod.

Thanx.

I now have the svl7 bios on my card, msi afterburner won`t allow me to change voltage and nvidia inspector only lets me overvolt :(

What program do you use?

Thanx.

I now have the svl7 bios on my card, msi afterburner won`t allow me to change voltage and nvidia inspector only lets me overvolt :(

What program do you use?

I use nvidia inspector and I believe you can undervolt. Try flashing prema's mod instead, I find it more stable.

I use nvidia inspector and I believe you can undervolt. Try flashing prema's mod instead, I find it more stable.

I`ve tried both now with same result.

No voltage control in afterburner and in nv inspector I can increase the voltage but when I undervolt and hit apply the slider jumps back to whatever it was.

I`ve tried both now with same result.

No voltage control in afterburner and in nv inspector I can increase the voltage but when I undervolt and hit apply the slider jumps back to whatever it was.

You should stay away from afterburner as it doesn't do voltage control, it never did for mobile GPUs: only nvidia inspector and precision x have voltage control.

Guys, right now i am having some O.C issues...

The only maximum O.C settings that allowed for me are :

Power Limit : 200%

Core Clock : +71

Memory Clock : +55

More than that, my GPU Driver will stop responding and give me BSOD....

I am using MSI After Burner for overclocking, and using the Kombustor for stability test.... Usually, the driver will start crashing after 120 seconds for stability test using Kombustor....

My PC Spec :

CPU : Intel® Core i7-4720HQ CPU

GPU : GTX 970M, 3072 MB

RAM : 16 GB @ 666 MHz [DDR3]

Model : MSI GE62 2QF Apache Pro

Of course, my GPU's vBios is Unlocked, and i have not O.Ced the Voltage at all...

here is my copy of vBios for someone's reference : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7haSexhwjCkNF9UM0szcHBCYkk/view?usp=sharing

So, someone please help me for to really2 feel the 'Over'-Cloacking feeling and result.... The FireStrike result is always below 5000, and u guys state that U can achive result to 7000, please give me some tips !!

• Bios Modder

For overclock more you need increase voltage on GPU core. Just completely uninstall MSI Afterburner, reboot laptop and install NVIDIA Inspector. Then you can increase voltage on GPU. Try set 1,025V or 1,050V. Then overclock your card.

Guys, right now i am having some O.C issues...

The only maximum O.C settings that allowed for me are :

Power Limit : 200%

Core Clock : +71

Memory Clock : +55

More than that, my GPU Driver will stop responding and give me BSOD....

I am using MSI After Burner for overclocking, and using the Kombustor for stability test.... Usually, the driver will start crashing after 120 seconds for stability test using Kombustor....

My PC Spec :

CPU : Intel® Core i7-4720HQ CPU

GPU : GTX 970M, 3072 MB

RAM : 16 GB @ 666 MHz [DDR3]

Model : MSI GE62 2QF Apache Pro

Of course, my GPU's vBios is Unlocked, and i have not O.Ced the Voltage at all...

here is my copy of vBios for someone's reference : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7haSexhwjCkNF9UM0szcHBCYkk/view?usp=sharing

So, someone please help me for to really2 feel the 'Over'-Cloacking feeling and result.... The FireStrike result is always below 5000, and u guys state that U can achive result to 7000, please give me some tips !!

Hello,

I have a MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro, which seems to be the same system with updated hardware. Does that BIOS works for my VC (Same 970M 3GB)? I tried using the search feature to find a recent version of a vBIOS for that video card but couldn't find any.

Thanks!