NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

Please i had asked before, but i will try again. I have a alienware 17 ranger and i got stucked in detect the gpu with mnvflash. There is a solution for this? I am using windows 8.1!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

i believe the version linked in the OP is incompatible as I have tried mnvflash and 2-3 versions of nvflash with all of them getting stuck on listing the GPU or trying to flash it and the result is the cmd window locks up and i am unable to close it.

in the end i got lucky and found a version that worked linked below:

https://biosmods.wordpress.com/mxm-vbios/

click on the 'THIS' link to download the nvflash.

To use it to help with the throttle on Alienware, please take a look

HERE and use THIS NVFLASH!

this version was automated but worked for me at least. I now have my 980M with svl7's vbios running in dedicated mode.

i believe the version linked in the OP is incompatible as I have tried mnvflash and 2-3 versions of nvflash with all of them getting stuck on listing the GPU or trying to flash it and the result is the cmd window locks up and i am unable to close it.

in the end i got lucky and found a version that worked linked below:

https://biosmods.wordpress.com/mxm-vbios/

click on the 'THIS' link to download the nvflash.

this version was automated but worked for me at least. I now have my 980M with svl7's vbios running in dedicated mode.

Thanks!!!

I used my m15x to flash svl7 vbios and used in dedicated mode in alienware 17, i need only work to remove throtling when overclocking, when i have more time i will follow the steps on post that you showed me.

Now i have it in M15x and is working very well playing gta V and crysis 3 with 920xm and 330w psu.

In m15x with svl7 bios got 13550 pgpu 3d11 and in alienware 17 13250!

With mobile NVIDIA cards, MSI Afterburner can adjust only the core and memory clock. For voltage adjustment use NVIDIA Inspector or ASUS GPU Tweak or EVGA Precision.

Run any games only with AC adapter.

Ok, so I use NInspector now.I wonder how much voltage do I need to run the card at default unlocked bios 1200/6000 ?

I guess I will start by adding +25mv each step.

Ok, so I use NInspector now.I wonder how much voltage do I need to run the card at default unlocked bios 1200/6000 ?

I guess I will start by adding +25mv each step.

you may hit a power limit because of your PSU, if it's a 180W then forget it you won't ever get power you need, if it's about 230-240W then you can adjust a little.

you may hit a power limit because of your PSU, if it's a 180W then forget it you won't ever get power you need, if it's about 230-240W then you can adjust a little.

Well my adapter is this one adp-230eb t a 230W adapter link :Products - AC/DC Adapters - Delta Group

In the end the unlocked bios did nothing for me(I could only add max 25mv but still not stable).I flashed back the stock bios, went to NVInspector and I can modify the voltage just like the unlocked one? What's up with that?

Now I keep my card +135mhz and +200(x2) on mem.

These are almost the exact max settings that I achieved with the unlocked bios.

Well my adapter is this one adp-230eb t a 230W adapter link :Products - AC/DC Adapters - Delta Group

In the end the unlocked bios did nothing for me(I could only add max 25mv but still not stable).I flashed back the stock bios, went to NVInspector and I can modify the voltage just like the unlocked one? What's up with that?

Now I keep my card +135mhz and +200(x2) on mem.

These are almost the exact max settings that I achieved with the unlocked bios.

probably cos of the lack of any decent cooling system or just the luck of the draw when it comes to chips....though I probably wouldn't suggest overclocking a BGA GPU anyway.

probably cos of the lack of any decent cooling system or just the luck of the draw when it comes to chips....though I probably wouldn't suggest overclocking a BGA GPU anyway.

I understand and I'm happy with my laptop from asus, but next time I will buy a sager laptop.

I understand and I'm happy with my laptop from asus, but next time I will buy a sager laptop.

i would just leave your GPU with the unlocked vbios and keep the stock speeds...if there's a speed increase.

i would just leave your GPU with the unlocked vbios and keep the stock speeds...if there's a speed increase.

The unlocked bios did nothing for me, except having default clocks 1200/6000 and that's it.Plus it can't go more than 1250-1300 stable with or without adding voltage.

With the stock bios I can also modify the voltage.

At 700 more euros I should have gone with a sager 970m sli and a hole lot better CPU.

Hello guys.

I'm searching for some answers to update myself lol. Is the past when I wanted to make my gpu overclock permanent, without relying on software I mean, I had to extract the oprom module from the main bios, edit it, replace the module and reflash the main bios. On the other side with mxm gpus we could just threat it like a normal desktop gpu and use nvflash. I'm certain this is all familiar with many of you.

It has been a long time since I have looked at laptops for myself and I'm particularity interested on the"new" g751jy with g-sync, I'm trying to really figure out if the difference relies only on some license inside the bios / vbios not.

What I'm finding hard to understand while leaning all of this uefi bios voodoo is if the process of getting the vbios remains the same. If the gpu is "mxm" I presume nothing has changed. You have a vbios eeprom that you can read and write normally. ( correct me if I'm wrong ).

I would really like to hear from all of you that are familiar with nowadays reading and writing vbios process.

I'm really asking all of this because the g751jy 980m is not mxm has you know but it definitely can be flashed since serbicu has done it already and it really seams like the typical mxm ways of flashing on my time some years ago lol ... Does it have a eeprom just for the gpu onboard or is there something new regarding the way these uefi bios work ??

I hope I made it clear :S

Thank you

This might be a noob thing to ask - but is it safe to flash the card?

I've heard (and I'm not sure if these are rumors) that doing a flash can render your card a brick..

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here - as I have the throttle issues with my new GTX 980m, but I don't really want to risk anything breaking XD

This might be a noob thing to ask - but is it safe to flash the card?

I've heard (and I'm not sure if these are rumors) that doing a flash can render your card a brick..

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here - as I have the throttle issues with my new GTX 980m, but I don't really want to risk anything breaking XD

it's safe if you know what you're doing and have experience. if you're not comfortable in flashing the card then don't do it.

if you really want to flash the card then you better read up.

it's safe if you know what you're doing and have experience. if you're not comfortable in flashing the card then don't do it.

if you really want to flash the card then you better read up.

Seems I won't have to any more - I downloaded the drivers from here: Index of /support/drivers/upgradeyourlaptop/Alienware

Fairly new drivers for my GPU, and no throttling.

Though I would like to know how the mod the drivers to work?

I thought the reason people were doing flashes, was to prevent this throttling issue? Or is there another reason?

people flash roms to overclock, you can still get throttled even though you have overclocked.

Hi, I'm new here, and I have a problem, can anyone help me? I just bought an ASUS laptop, it's G551JM, with GTX 960M and I7 4720HQ, so far everything works fine, except one thing: the GPU gets thermal throttling at 74 degrees, which is low as hell for a gaming laptop. I've been googling for many days now and I found out it's because of the vBios, so I have to mod the vBios, I've followed this guide but I have a problem with NVFlash (I got a modified version too that bypasses certification), it keeps saying "No NVIDIA display adapters found". Is there any NVFlash version that supports GTX 960M? Or am I doing something wrong here? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hmmm...at stock clocks I can't get the 980M to benchmark with the heaven benchmark, it just crashes after a few minutes with the svl7 vbios. Any heavy oc I do causes the pc to restart into optimus mode.

Can't tell if there's not enough juice or if I have damaged the GPU.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hmmm...at stock clocks I can't get the 980M to benchmark with the heaven benchmark, it just crashes after a few minutes with the svl7 vbios. Any heavy oc I do causes the pc to restart into optimus mode.

Can't tell if there's not enough juice or if I have damaged the GPU.

Have you only just now flashed & tested svl7's vBIOS, or have you been using it a few weeks? I've read that some people find that stock clocks on svl7's 980M vBIOS can be unstable, this is because it runs the card at max boost clocks all the time, and some cards can't sustain that at the stock voltage of the svl7 vBIOS. You might have to just increase the voltage by a notch or two to get it stable (without adding an overclock). Did you compare your measured voltages (using GPUz for example) between your stock vBIOS and svl7's vBIOS, could be that your stock vBIOS uses a bit more voltage when the card is at max boost?

Yeah that is what I am thinking. I have been using it for a few weeks now, even testing prema's vbios mod as it has a slightly higher voltage but stock clocks.

There you go, you're getting to the bottom of it!

hmmm....prema's mod keeps resetting the GPU temp target :(

EDIT: looks like I can only do about 1230MHz on the core with a voltage boost of 62mv.

Yeah, that's not a massive overclock, but it's still 100Mhz faster than the stock boost of 1126Mhz, and those 980M's are already clocked pretty high at stock. I don't think many people are gaming at much more than 1300 odd Mhz anway, so you're probably only 100Mhz off what some people are gaming at. 100Mhz increase in clock speed up from your 1230Mhz clock is only a very small increase in performance anyway (max 8% performance improvement).

• Thumbs Up 1

My post was ignored, hope someone will see it now...

Hi, I'm new here, and I have a problem, can anyone help me? I just bought an ASUS laptop, it's G551JM, with GTX 960M and I7 4720HQ, so far everything works fine, except one thing: the GPU gets thermal throttling at 74 degrees, which is low as hell for a gaming laptop. I've been googling for many days now and I found out it's because of the vBios, so I have to mod the vBios, I've followed this guide but I have a problem with NVFlash (I got a modified version too that bypasses certification), it keeps saying "No NVIDIA display adapters found". Is there any NVFlash version that supports GTX 960M? Or am I doing something wrong here? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.