NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

MSI GT72 with GTX980M and OC:

Did another few runs and here is what I found out so far... I posted a similar post in the clevo subforum but I feel it its better to post that here...

With Prema's bios and SVL7 bios at stock clocks

- the total power readings of the "MSI dragon gaming center" seem to be quiet accurate (I compared them to readings of my power meter)

- the power consumption with premas bios is exceeding 245 Watt

- with the stock ac adapter the GT72 is constantly switching to "hybrid" power - meaning that the battery is used in addition to the AC adapter to compensate the high power demand (this can also be seen in "dragon gaming center")

With SVL7s bios at stock clocks:

- same story - in addition I even needed to throttle the power limit slider down to 50-65% - otherwise the GT72 throttled

With OC (both bios mods)

- before I redid the paste job I also saw a lot of throttling when using any OC due to overheat (exceeding 87 °C)

- with SVL7's bios I needed to up the voltage slider higher than with premas mod to be able to OC (also I assume that this is due to different base lines - I didn't compare the actual resulting voltages)

- overall OC seems to be possible with both but there is much more trial and error with SVL7s bios and GT72 owners seem to need to lower the PT slider A LOT - lowering the temp target does help too but gives much worse overall scores / results

- the power consumption in dragon center starts to show "AC" instead of any actual value during test runs - this might indicate that it is exceeding all limits

- hybrid mode is active permanently throughout all tests of 3dMark Firestrike

Stock Bios - Stock Clocks:

Did a few test runs with the stock bios and it seems not to exceed 210 Watt whereas the OC bios reached 245Watt (and probable more depending on what "AC" is meaning in dragon center).

In respect of hybrid power I saw it only triggering once for a short time during my 3D mark runs.

Stock Bios - Max OC (which isn't that much +135Mhz GPU, +600Mhz Mem, +12.5mV).

Hybrid power triggered more often and also for longer periods, yet still less often as with the OC mods (even if those run at stock clocks). 220 was the highest Wattage I've seen.

Question is - why does Hybrid Power trigger at all - isn't this supposed to be a 230 Watt ac adapter (19.5Vx11.8A) ?

Bottom line for MSI GT72:

- a stronger AC adapter might be needed - the GT72 seems to have "dell compatible" connector - I sucessfully tested a 240Watt ac adapter from dell - but it's actually shutting down a little earlier than 240 Watt (might be because its old) to protect itself compared to the MSI one , question is if the GT72 will detect the stronger power source and act accordingly

- with the GT72 switching constantly to hybrid mode and thus also decharging the battery and possibly using up more recharge cycles I'm wondering if OC is a good idea for the long run at all

- there doesn't seem to be much headroom in the GT72 for OC unfortunately because of the cooling solution and the ec-controler

- for the GT72 we might need a "optimized throtteling" bios that does not cross healthy limits with a much lower power target

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, it definitely sounds like you need a higher wattage power adapter, using the battery to supplement power is a horrible design workaround - they should have provided a 330W adapter with it. Guess you could always try a Dell 330W adapter considering your Dell 240W adapter works.

• Thumbs Up 1

sounds strange, in my clevo with 3920xm with 4.2ghz and a little ov and with 980m +135mv ov i dont experiance problems with my 220w psu...

but i get crashes due to very high oc....mybe it s the psu that cant deliver enough power...which wuóuld be nice as i can oc further with a new psu but i guess its very unlikely as those problem just appear with very high oc

sounds strange, in my clevo with 3920xm with 4.2ghz and a little ov and with 980m +135mv ov i dont experiance problems with my 220w psu...

but i get crashes due to very high oc....mybe it s the psu that cant deliver enough power...which wuóuld be nice as i can oc further with a new psu but i guess its very unlikely as those problem just appear with very high oc

Hm ? What's strange about that ? More OC -> more power required... More speed, more heat (even at the same voltages, higher frequencies require more power...). So IF you AC adapter is too weak it will be more prominent with higher OC.

+100mv on gpu and +50mv on cpu with raised tdp limit and the system is stable with 220w psu, so i dont get why the msi should demand for more power

edit:

and my cpu has almost never moren than 40-60% utilization in games/benchmarks resulting in a very low tdp even under 45w which gives the gpu a big big headroom

Does this work okay for the new driver after the one indicated on the first post?

I'm confused as to whether or not to keep the CLEVO_8GB_GTX980M_OC_PM_v1 by Prema or to install this one. I see stock on his but OC in the name fo the file. Is it that this is overclocked by default and Prema's is in stock values? Which one should I do?

Okay, cool. Does the newest drivers not allow you to overclock? Inspector or MSI won't let me do it. I have to keep below the driver in the first post?

Edit: Nevermind, I ran across a post saying that they still are locked after that driver too.

Okay, cool. Does the newest drivers not allow you to overclock? Inspector or MSI won't let me do it. I have to keep below the driver in the first post?

Edit: Nevermind, I ran across a post saying that they still are locked after that driver too.

yep they are locked for me too..using 344 75 drivers no problem....does anyone know why nvidia locked latest drivers for ocing?

managed to overclock my gtx 970m on my asus g751 JT temps around 83-84c core at 1400 mem at 6200 [ATTACH=CONFIG]13899[/ATTACH]

Wow, excellent Graphics Score! How much voltage are you using on the GPU, is it 100% gaming stable?

Wow! That's nice! Did you get your vbios unlocked? What voltage your running?

Thank you :) yes im using a custom vbios allowed me to add +500 on the core. my voltage is at 1.2 maxed out basically :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, excellent Graphics Score! How much voltage are you using on the GPU, is it 100% gaming stable?

Thank you mate. 1.2 is my voltage and yes i've finished dying light on it running around all maxed out with 60-110 fps at max settings view distance at the middle didn't crash once. no artifacts. just heated up a bit after a few hours and I've managed to control the gpu fan and set it to %100 now its around 82c -83c while gaming

- - - Updated - - -

Wow really nice memory clocks.

thank you :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you :) yes im using a custom vbios allowed me to add +500 on the core. my voltage is at 1.2 maxed out basically :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you mate. 1.2 is my voltage and yes i've finished dying light on it running around all maxed out with 60-110 fps at max settings view distance at the middle didn't crash once. no artifacts. just heated up a bit after a few hours and I've managed to control the gpu fan and set it to %100 now its around 82c -83c while gaming

- - - Updated - - -

thank you :)

Is the vbios power limit slider unlocked? because I can only manage to get my core up to 1230 Mhz with voltage increase to around 1.2mv before it starts to hit the power limit and throttling the clock (as per reported by GPU-Z when running benchmarks and games) I tried changing the value of the power limit manually in the Maxwell Bios Tweaker but I'm afraid I don't know which one to change. I can only manage to change the default core/mem speed so I can go further with the 135MHz software overclock and increase the voltage in the vbios tweaker but that's it. PS: Mind sharing your vbios Kingkaan? :)

there you go man ill just share it here. https://www.sendspace.com/file/5kdysl you know how to flash safely and everything right? i don't want you to brick anything :) and nope power and temp target is locked i got it unlocked and i saw that card is not even near tdp so it wasnt doing anything useful for me i locked it again.what do you see in gpu z when it throttles? because mine was throttling due to hot temps at 87c that's maxwell thermal protection throttling the card if its purple. i had to turn the gpu fan %100 and increase the temp limit and max temp limit in vbios to avoid that. no one knows how to disable that yet

• Thumbs Up 1

there you go man ill just share it here. https://www.sendspace.com/file/5kdysl you know how to flash safely and everything right? i don't want you to brick anything :) and nope power and temp target is locked i got it unlocked and i saw that card is not even near tdp so it wasnt doing anything useful for me i locked it again.what do you see in gpu z when it throttles? because mine was throttling due to hot temps at 87c that's maxwell thermal protection throttling the card if its purple. i had to turn the gpu fan %100 and increase the temp limit and max temp limit in vbios to avoid that. no one knows how to disable that yet

Great! So the vbios that you share here has not gotten the slider unlocked? Yes I know my way around flashing the vbios so no worries here. I'll update you once I get home from work. Can't remember what exact color it is during throttling that GPU-z is giving me the last time I OC'd the gpu. But I could see the core clock frequency dropping few times during testing. I'll check later once I tried flashing the vbios. Thanks a lot Kingkaan!

Hey, im a new member here. looking to get my 5 posts in for starts, but also to get some more info on GTX 970m overclocking.

Got a questions, when i did a Fire Strike test, my score gave off 6361, scoring a few points under the next guy who had similar specs, but more Core speed.

i got:

<dl class="data clearfix"><dt>Reported stock core clock</dt><dd>2,500 MHz</dd><dt>Maximum turbo core clock</dt><dd>1,296 MHz

HE got

</dd><dt>Reported stock core clock</dt><dd>2,500 MHz</dd><dt>Maximum turbo core clock</dt><dd>3,495 MHz

</dd></dl>

Why is my max turbo clock half his? the benchmark scores are almost the same but this concerns me. Is there something wrong with mine?

thank you for your time

ps. i have an MSI GT60 Dominator GTX 970M laptop, fully updated all bios and EC and drivers. Win 7 64bit fresh install

So far this is the stable bench in 3dmark firestrike

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13493[/ATTACH]

core clock = 175

mem clock = 600

Do you think getting an extreme mobile proc will help increase the benchmark? By how many pts you think? Thanks

Read most of the posts but before i overlcok my system, can i get a quick average boost opinion? purchased MX4 thermal paste, ready to grease up my system and try some minor overclocking.

got a GT60 Dominator GTX 970M system. What kind of numbers should i be able to see? what is a safe number to boost mem and core ?

-M

Hi. Thank you for your work! In fact the GTX980m you provided doesn't work well with my CLEVO P377SM-A. Now I have only one piece installed on it and after flashing your vBIOS, every time I go to Furmark and do a stress test at 1080P with 8X MSAA, the driver stops working(with no overclocking). Do you have any way to solve that? Thanks.