NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

According to all I've read in the last weeks: You will need to disable BOTH cards or otherwise the nvidia driver won't deactivate and the modded nvflash won't be able to access (or even find) even a single one card...

If you do not dare to disable both cards simultaneaously also multiple people told you that nothing bad will happen you could try by uninstalling the nvdriver, reboot and run the nvflash with NO nvidia driver running in windows.

Because that is the goal of all this - the nvidia driver MUST NOT be running or nvflash won't work at all (at least that's what I got from all of this...)

It won`t work.

You have UEFI and Legacy enabled.

We have UEFI and Legacy disabled.

mnvflash only works with Legacy. If we enable Legacy we are fucked so we can`t use that option.

Disabling 1 or two cards, deleting drivers, running in windows, using cmd etc etc, it doesnt matter. UEFI are in the way both mnvflash and nvflash doesnt support pure UEFI.

It won`t work.

You have UEFI and Legacy enabled.

We have UEFI and Legacy disabled.

mnvflash only works with Legacy. If we enable Legacy we are fucked so we can`t use that option.

Disabling 1 or two cards, deleting drivers, running in windows, using cmd etc etc, it doesnt matter. UEFI are in the way both mnvflash and nvflash doesnt support pure UEFI.

I'm sorry but how do you know what "we others" have ? My GT72 is in UEFI mode, windows was installed in UEFI mode... In my opinion this does only matter if one wants to boot and flash in dos mode...

Furthermore if he had actually legacy enabled like you are saying - that wouldn't be PURE uefi - that would be legacy (=bios) mode... And then I would wonder how uefi could be in the way...

Which is not necessary... However I'm out of that discussion now as there is not more info I could provide...

I'm sorry but how do you know what "we others" have ? My GT72 is in UEFI mode, windows was installed in UEFI mode... In my opinion this does only matter if one wants to boot and flash in dos mode...

Furthermore if he had actually legacy enabled like you are saying - that wouldn't be PURE uefi - that would be legacy (=bios) mode... And then I would wonder how uefi could be in the way...

Which is not necessary... However I'm out of that discussion now as there is not more info I could provide...

You are not reading what I wrote. Read:

You obviously have Legacy enabled because you were able to use mnvflash. It doesnt work with Legacy disabled and UEFI enabled. Thats pure UEFI.

You understand the difference?

Alienware 18 with 970M/980M can only use pure UEFI. No legacy, no mnvflash or nvflash.

GT72 can use whatever it wants. Legacy or UEFI or both

I am not able to list a card. I tried to deactivate 1 of them, but it is not working. mnvflash --list -> Nothing happens... So i cant flash them...

hi dude..

as far as i know from my prev. sli system you must disable sli first in nvidia control panel sli configuration option(so maximize 3d performance shouldnt be ticked) and then disable both cards in device manager and flash your vbios either with mnvflash or nvflash comes with premamod

good luck

- - - Updated - - -

You obviously have Legacy enabled because you were able to use mnvflash. It doesnt work with Legacy disabled and UEFI enabled. Thats pure UEFI.

Alienware 18 with 970M/980M can only use pure UEFI. No legacy, no mnvflash or nvflash.

and im a GT72 2QE user and i use pure UEFI(no legacy mode) too and able to flash both custom vbios

Yeah. But what happens if i disable both cards in device manager but there are only my 980ms listed ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13777[/ATTACH]

I dont want to put cards out / reset Bios etc. ^^

nothing bad happens dude...when you disabled both cards windows switched back to its drivers and your gtx 980m will be titled as " Microsoft Basic Display Driver"

your screen is not gonna black out dont be afraid dude.. :D and bingo now you can flash your vbios with cmd or windows powershell

No... I do not... Because from all I know it does not make a difference... he needs to use the modded nvflash (mnflash) and that is a windows programm... it shouldn't and doesn't care about uefi... for all I know...

He can't flash because he still is not daring to deactivate both cards at once... I'm quiet sure that's why...

For the rest... For all I know there is no "both" - it's either uefi (with or without secure boot) or legacy... some can switch but no way to use both (at the same time)

anyone tried the prema vbios with the 347.25 drivers?

New Drivers doesn't allow overclocking on mobile Maxwell. It seems we need now modded drivers to be able to overcklock in addition to modded bios. Or it is time to start complaining to NViDIA so thay would return overclocking abilities to its drivers

Okay tried it...Disabled SLI and disabled both cards -> Not Working. Uninstalled Drivers (and DDU), Disabled Both Cards --> Not Working

not working ? ? ? and what is not working ? you cant flash ? and what the program says tell us ?

ok lets start this thing from the beginning...

first create a new folder in your C: drive and named it NVFLSH

if you want to use svl7's vbios then copy Nvidia 980m - 'OC edition' rev0.rom file into that new folder and rename it 980mslv7.rom

then copy all the files in mnvflash_windows_5.196.zip into the same folder again

then push and hold windows key on your keyboard and push X together and select command prompt (Admin)

then write there "cd c:/NVFLSH" enter

after this it should be like this C:\NVFLASH>

now write there "mnvflash -a" enter or "mnvflash --list" enter ..

now you should see there two cards as below;

<0>Geforce GTX 980m ......

<1>Geforce GTX 980m.......

and then the line you must write there to flash your cards is for the second card first

nvflash -i 1 -6 980mslv7.rom enter

and follow the instructions and press "y" yes all the time if everything is ok

after card 2 is finished then

you can go for the first card then

nvflash -i 0 -6 980mslv7.rom

and same thing above...and restar the pc and enable gtx 980m in device manager or install your nvidia driver

NOTE: Do not install 344.75 above drivers 347.09 and 347.25 both of garbage from nvidia for gtx 9xx users...

2nd NOTE:if mnvflash doesnt work use nvflash comes with premamod here is the link ==> http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/clevo/13527d1420546022-clevo_8gb_gtx980m_oc_pm_v1.rar

3rd NOTE:if nothing works open windows control panel and choose region and in format section choose English (United States) and apply and restart your pc

then check the program if its gonna work or not...?

and Nooo its time to :53_002: or :Banane36:or :64:or :Banane45:or :waaaht:or :22_002:or :50_002:or :ah:or :23_002:or :too_sad: or :72: which makes you :45: or:59: or :doubt: or :02: and finally :34_002:

good luck dude i hope its gonna work this time

IMPORTANT NOTE : BEFORE FLASHING DO NOT FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR VBIOS FIRST...!

here is the command ==> mnvflash -b org980m.rom or nvflash -b org980m.rom

• Thumbs Up 3

Nothing happens if i run both of your listed commands (-a and --list). It just hang-up and nothing happens. I need to close nvflash via task-manager and thats it. :D. I will try premamods nvflash. Lets try it ^^

and btw. TY for your help ;)

Okay tried premamods nvflash too... Not Working :/

post-31616-14494999237203_thumb.png

Same happens in GPU-Z... If i want to backup my vbios --> hang-up --> close nvflash via task-manager. -->

post-31616-14494999237324_thumb.png

Nothing happens if i run both of your listed commands (-a and --list). It just hang-up and nothing happens. I need to close nvflash via task-manager and thats it. :D. I will try premamods nvflash. Lets try it ^^

and btw. TY for your help ;)

Okay tried premamods nvflash too... Not Working :/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13784[/ATTACH]

Same happens in GPU-Z... If i want to backup my vbios --> hang-up --> close nvflash via task-manager. -->

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13785[/ATTACH]

did you try to change the region english (usa) in your control panel advised in 3rd note ?

and disabled all antivirus, firewall, windows defender etc.. ?

its like something in your bios setup blocking the way...try to find the solution in your bios setup

there is nothing left i can say more

Okay tried it...Disabled SLI and disabled both cards -> Not Working. Uninstalled Drivers (and DDU), Disabled Both Cards --> Not Working

If you are running an Alienware in SLI you are using pure UEFI and cannot flash because there is no version of NVFLASH that works for 980M under UEFI except with Legacy/CSM. You have to remove one GPU, change to SG mode (Optimus) and Legacy BIOS or UEFI with Legacy Option ROM, flash one GPU. Shut down, disconnect all power, put the secondary GPU in the primary slot, flash it, remove GPU, change BIOS back to pure UEFI and PEG mode, put the GPUs back in. HUGE pain in the butt. If you have an Alienware 18, I am not sure you can do it at all. The locked-down BIOS does not give you access to the menu needed in order to manually select SG mode. You may have to use a different system to flash the GPUs.

- - - Updated - - -

He is right. If you have UEFI enabled with CSM (Legacy Option ROM) you can flash just fine. If you have pure UEFI (no Legacy/CSM support) NVFLASH will not function. There is no ability to boot DOS except with UEFI in CSM/Legacy Option ROM mode. Many new laptop owners have slammed into a brick wall trying to flash GPUs and even trying downgrade to Windows 7. They cannot do either one because their BIOS has no Legacy support. They are following Micro$haft's lead and making laptops the way the Redmond Mafia has told them to.

..so there's no way to flash for me , alienware m17x r4 120hz, infinite sadness...however I have windows 8.1 and hidevolution 980m whit their own drivers, 8400 at "fire strike", no overclock. Is it good? How to know if my card is throttling?

Sorry..quite noob on the argument.:(

..so there's no way to flash for me , alienware m17x r4 120hz, infinite sadness...however I have windows 8.1 and hidevolution 980m whit their own drivers, 8400 at "fire strike", no overclock. Is it good? How to know if my card is throttling?

Sorry..quite noob on the argument.:(

8400 to 8500 is what you can get without OC - so that's "fine" for a stock bios...

But even with a stock Bios you should be able to OC by +135Mhz Core and 600Mhz Memory and that should give you a little boost to somewhere in the 9k range...

That UEFI thing is really strange. Up to now I was convinced that this is "just" important for booting etc. - didn't expect it to influence nvflash in windows. Even more so since my GT72 is in UEFI mode too and I can still flash. I just can't understand how the ability to theoretically switch to legacy mode is influencing what is possible in UEFI mode... Is there any reason to believe that Alienware didn't just lock out the option to flash intentionally and this has more to do with Alienware and less with UEFI ? But I'm here to learn and that's what I do - next time I will remember that there are issues with certain Alienware laptops and flashing the vbios...

• Thumbs Up 1