NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

You are welcome... I'm just sharing my experiences thanks should go to the modders ;)

1) The only way to flash GTX9X0M cards is using the special windows based NVFLASH provided within the OP and also within the Prema package. So no need to boot to dos or anything. Just happily flash in windows. However just so you know: You can always change the boot-mode from UEFI to LEGACY to boot an USB stick or a CDROM in the UEFIs settings - however remember to switch back afterwards

2) No - not a single BSOD since I own it (about 2 weeks now).

I do not know about the Intel Anti Theft thing actually... I HOPE it is not activated by default as it seems to be with many manufacturers....

• Thumbs Up 1

Several GT72 (including me) used it by now so it seems to be quiet safe. (My best result is +275MHz core, +600Mhz Mem with +50.0mV Voltage - resulting in a whooping 10169 3DMark Firestrike score).

Also it's a Clevo vBIOS it even works without raising the need to use modded inf files for the nvidia driver..

is that score 10169 overal firestrike score or graphical score ?

your gpu should be 1313mhz with +275 and your mem 6200mhz with +600 ...all i really want to know can you play games without crashing or freeze with those settings especially with +50.mV voltage which is really not enough to feed the gpu...i was using 1365mhz gpu + 6000mhz mem +100mV results an overall 10197 fire strike score and 13083 gpu score

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much for your quick response! And thank you for the warning. I flashed my 680m two years ago and was quite anxious

I got 2 questions:

1.) How did you manage to flash Premas vBios on the GT72. Due to the UEFI Bios I find it hard/do not know how to do it?

2.) As you own a GT72 - have you had any issues with BSOD? I suffered from those but now seem to have found a cure.

Best regards

phila

P.S.: Am I supposing right, that Intel Anti-Theft is not installed on my system by default - but only supperted (As I am said to disable it before flashing the vBios)?!

all you have to do first switch the gt72 to discrete graphics pushing the gpu button so you disabled intel gpu then restart (more safe i think) then disable gtx 980m in device manager and use windows based nvflash comes with premamod thats all and dont forget to backup your vbios as you know before flashing...if you dont know the commands just follow this guide

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia-video-cards/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

so welcome to the real world..! if everything goes well

• Thumbs Up 1

your gpu should be 1313mhz with +275 and your mem 6200mhz with +600 ...all i really want to know can you play games without crashing or freeze with those settings especially with +50.mV voltage which is really not enough to feed the gpu...i was using 1365mhz gpu + 6000mhz mem +100mV results an overall 10197 fire strike score and 13083 gpu score

You can't really know how much voltage he needs to run his overclock, it varies for each individual chip, so you can't really say that +50mv isn't enough for him to run those settings - only he himself can test what is stable & what isn't. Of course you want to use the lowest amount of voltage possible for the overclock you want to achieve.

We play all on the same team at T|I but bombarding another devs thread with this constantly isn't cool. Could you please move all the Prema talk HERE!

I am sure svl7 will come up with a fix for AW user soon, just be patient and give him some time, he just got his motherboard replaced and his AW working again.

THX! :01:

Hi, sorry if I'm asking..any chance to flash vbios on Alienware m17x R4 120Hz? I can't enable legacy I'm afraid... someone can help me? ^ ^

Please read the guide in the OP (first post)... Things changed... You CAN'T even flash using a dos based nvflash any more (for GTX900 series) - you HAVE TO use the windows(!) version provided within packages distributed here. No NEED to switch to legacy... That's unless the vBios is integrated into the systems bios (which I don't assume for the m17x).

After testing Premas vBios also wanted to test SLV7s vBios also I knew that there are issues with the GT72 and this vBios. However I would still prefer to have influence on the power target so I'd prefer to use the slv7 version.

(yes - I'm a little stubborn here but I consider it a safety net even when I stand corrected that it might not be a accurate one - I do not want it to do more occ but actually to limit GPU boost a little to not overdo it).

My System is a MSI GT72, GTX980M 8GB and I'm using nvidia driver 344.75 and nvidia inspector to OC.

This are my findings. To be able to complete a 3dmark firestrike run I needed to set the power target to 50% (!) at stock clocks. That gave me a 3D Mark score comparable to an 100% stock run (about 8500).

As soon as I raise the clocks I can not even complete a few seconds of 3D Mark even with higher voltages (tried +50mV for +100Mhz Clock, I tried multiple PTs 50, 60, 75%)

With stock bios I can run +135Mhz with a +25mV increase.

I do not know why I'm hitting a wall with any OC with this vbios (I can do a lot more with Premas bios so it's not the chip or the GT72 in general).

However I've a guess why GT72 owners are getting lower scores or stuttering with the GT72 and this vbios. Maybe the power limit has been set too high - so the actual power draw of the GTX980M gets so high that the overall power draw (CPU + GPU + everything) in the combined tests exceeds the laptops limits and thus the GT72's EC controler throttles the whole system. I'm thinking this as I could get comparable scores to the stock bios with setting a 50% power target with this OC vbios. I know that someone watched the MSI Systems monitoring tool and it was indicating 175Watt Power draw when the system throtteled but I'm wondering how accurate that tool is and if it is considering all other parts that need power too (like keyboard lighting, SSDs, HDD, displays backlight etc etc etc...) which the EC controler might actually be considering / measuring...

With my AW18 980m SLI (only UEFI) its not working to flash with mnvflash... I think its locked cause of the BIOS. I hope svl7 will find a fix.... :) PLEASE ^^

Did you to to flash using i 0 and i 1 ? If you have SLI you need to tell the nvflash which card you'd like to flash...

From what I last read I`ll rather wait for an dedicated vBios for th MSI GT72

I`d be happy if there`d be one some day.

Best regards and an extra big "Thank You!" for the efforts of the modders!

phila

Well you might increase the chances if you give the existing ones a try and experiment a little and share your experiences.

This is what I found out so far on my GT72 system:

Premas Mod is working and gives good OC capabilities. However my machine (not my ac adapter) is making a mild humming sound while running 3D apps. I do not want to get OT - I'm just mentioning it as a reference and pointing out the differences. Prema doesn't offer a power target slider and maybe that's part of why it is working better on our machines. It also does not allow undervolting yet.

SLV7s mod is working at stock clocks and with the power target set to 50%. It gave me 3dmark scores comparable to stock then. There are reports that it throttles on GT72 with PT set to 100% even at stock clocks (most probably it's the EC throtteling because of total power draw, not the GTX980M because of its power draw) - I haven't tried that myself.

Even the slightest OC is not woking on my machine with SLV7s vbios (I tried +100Mhz, +50mV, and several power targets (50,60,65,70%) without any luck.

So two (suspected) issues:

1) Probably: The power draw of the gtx980m get so high the whole system throttles down (so if slv7 could provide a version with a lower default PT we could try that)

2) There seems to be a wall we are hitting when trying to OCC - currently no idea - is the default voltage decreased so we are using a too low offset and would need to go beyond +50mV ?

Well you might increase the chances if you give the existing ones a try and experiment a little and share your experiences.

This is what I found out so far on my GT72 system:

Premas Mod is working and gives good OC capabilities. However my machine (not my ac adapter) is making a mild humming sound while running 3D apps. I do not want to get OT - I'm just mentioning it as a reference and pointing out the differences. Prema doesn't offer a power target slider and maybe that's part of why it is working better on our machines. It also does not allow undervolting yet.

SLV7s mod is working at stock clocks and with the power target set to 50%. It gave me 3dmark scores comparable to stock then. There are reports that it throttles on GT72 with PT set to 100% even at stock clocks (most probably it's the EC throtteling because of total power draw, not the GTX980M because of its power draw) - I haven't tried that myself.

Even the slightest OC is not woking on my machine with SLV7s vbios (I tried +100Mhz, +50mV, and several power targets (50,60,65,70%) without any luck.

So two (suspected) issues:

1) Probably: The power draw of the gtx980m get so high the whole system throttles down (so if slv7 could provide a version with a lower default PT we could try that)

2) There seems to be a wall we are hitting when trying to OCC - currently no idea - is the default voltage decreased so we are using a too low offset and would need to go beyond +50mV ?

Hi!

As I read in an other thread (http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/3119-%5Bbios-vbios-mods%5D-prema-mod-stock-233.html#post119806) it seems that ocing the GT72 by flashing a clevo bios might not be the most effective way.

There have been issues flashing MSI books earlier even with a dedicated vBios + I can`t see how flashing a Clevo vBios will help in development of an MSI Bios.*

With this in mind I`ll wait a litte longer to see if/what svl7 thinks of this issue.

Best regards

phila

*especially as I unfortunately am not able to draw conclusions out of misbehaving hardware/oc-ablilities

It's up to you. As MSI GT72 owner I've tried to follow all this very closely and according to my understanding the "genral" issues with flashing a clevo vbios to a msi card are gone since the last generation MSI of notebooks (starting with GT70). So there might never be a "msi" vBios because there is no need/reason for it... So the best I do currently hope for is that we get a clevo based SLV7 one that is also working on our GT72s.

I do not want to go OT. Besides comparing SVL7s to Premas Mod to find out what might be causing the issues GT72 owners have with the SVL7 mod but NOT with the Prema mod I'd like to follow Premas wish and forum rules and focus on SVL7s mod here and all I add is - I do not know how you came to the conclusion that there are issues with GT72 and Premas mod because there are no known issues (besides the missing power target slider and that's just ME - I'd prefer to have one) - please ask there in case you want to discuss that...

• Thumbs Up 1

@BigKid I dont know what will happen if i deactivate both cards, cause i just have my 2 980ms in Graphic cards list.

Well I assume the same as with others that have only one... I can deactivate the card in my GT72 even when I'm in "dedicated gpu mode" (the GT72 has no optimus but you can switch between intel hd and nvidia (requiring a reboot)).

As far as I understood it the reason why one needs to deactivate the card(s) is to get the nvidia driver to deactivate and windows to switch to a default fallback driver so nvflash is able to access the cards... And I assume that this won't happen if you do not disable both cards...

New findings on the GTX980M in my GT72 with this mod... Still following my idea that something is throtteling with Svl7s bios and the MSI GT72 and after reading his OP again I flashed it again and did a few runs at the default clocks of his mod and just played with the power target...

I'm able to OC memory to +600. I did that to be better able to compare my results with stock oc and Prema oc as I used that mem OC there too for most of my runs...

I did runs with putting the PT slider more and more down and found my 3D mark firestrike score improving the more I turned the PT down...

If someone wants to verify my findings please disable "priotize temp target"...

The sweet spot for my GT72 seems to be at about 68% power target... That's where I'm able to archive about 9200 total score in firestrike at the "stock clocks" of the Svl7 bios.

Update:

By using a voltage increase of 87.5mV I was finally able to also OC my GPU with this vBios by +100Mhz. Result was a 3d mark firestrike total score of 9500 which is getting closer to what is possible with Premas vBios. I assume without knowing the baselines for both mods (power target at 100%, voltages, etc.) it's hard to come to a final conclusion... So OCing IS possible and I think with enough fine tuning it's possible to get comparable results with both vBios version. I'm just not sure if they would endup beeing archived in the same way or if there is something that can be learned here...

I'm just hoping that the modders here can maybe get some ideas of my/our findings and give us a "best of both worlds" modd :o

@BigKid I dont know what will happen if i deactivate both cards, cause i just have my 2 980ms in Graphic cards list.

Nothing happens. You just disable the Nvidia driver. The cards continue to run on Windows drivers.

But its useless. I tried disabling the drivers, SLI on and off, with drivers, the mnvflash still cant find any cards. Its because it doesnt support UEFI. So we are stuck

I posted screenshot a few pages back

But its useless. I tried disabling the drivers, SLI on and off, with drivers, the mnvflash still cant find any cards. Its because it doesnt support UEFI. So we are stuck

I posted screenshot a few pages back

It doesn't need to support uefi because you need to flash in windows and not in dos... My machine is using uefi too and I've no issues. If you do not want to disable both cards at once you can try to uninstall the nvidia driver and then try to flash. Other common mistakes seem to be: You need to run the command shell as admin. You need to use the nvflash version provided here and no other version.

PS:Please check your - post it's looking wrong ...

Something is shuffling the quotes...