NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

So does that mean I need a 330w PSU? There doesn't seem to be one for the GT72.

If I have to stick with the 230w PSU should I abandon the idea of using this unlocked vbios?

The GT70 was sold with a even less powerful ac adapter and yet I was able to increase the power limit of the gtx780m to 120 Watt without running into that problem (I had a similar whitebook by Medion).

But I' quiet sure that there is a total power limit in the laptops bios which can be unlocked (reach out to SVET in the english MSI Forum).

So IF there are issues I do not think they are really related to the PSU - unless it is throtteling for unknown reasons before it should.

If you'd like to try more powerfull PSUs you could use one with DELL compatible connector. I found out by just trying as I have a larger DELL psu from a Dell Precision M I still had from work. Seems to works fine (as long as it is powerful enough).

I'm more with the theory that it is connected to the GT72 using the NVCARD in dedicated mode without optimus.

Interesting! I will check out SVET on the MSI forums. Sounds like you're onto something. Even when I've managed to overclock my 980m - with Prema's clevo vbios I only manage an extra 200 on core and mem- the temperature never goes above about 70 which makes me think this machine is not reaching its full potential. Good to meet another GT72 owner!

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting! I will check out SVET on the MSI forums. Sounds like you're onto something. Even when I've managed to overclock my 980m - with Prema's clevo vbios I only manage an extra 200 on core and mem- the temperature never goes above about 70 which makes me think this machine is not reaching its full potential. Good to meet another GT72 owner!

What I found out so far is that the limit is within the EC (embedded controller) so IF something needs to be/could be modded it would be the EC firmware. However right now it could still be another thing that is preventing us to OC with the modded vBios as it might just not be suited for our systems... Maybe one of the modders could be so kind as to mod a Bios right from a GT72 so we could at least check/test that...

Ok... Bad news... It seems like there are some older firmware versions for some last gen msi notebooks available that have an increased power limit but those actually originated from MSI. They've never been updated again and there is none for the GT72. And while it has been discovered how to mod the temperature table for the fan control the power limit could only be tweaked by MSI engineers.

At least that's what I got as feedback.

However: I still think it's something with the vBios as we can easily OC +135Mhz without any issues with the stock vBios. So again: I'd love (and even pay) to see a modded version of the MSI bios used in the GT72 :-)

Ok... Bad news... It seems like there are some older firmware versions for some last gen msi notebooks available that have an increased power limit but those actually originated from MSI. They've never been updated again and there is none for the GT72. And while it has been discovered how to mod the temperature table for the fan control the power limit could only be tweaked by MSI engineers.

At least that's what I got as feedback.

However: I still think it's something with the vBios as we can easily OC +135Mhz without any issues with the stock vBios. So again: I'd love (and even pay) to see a modded version of the MSI bios used in the GT72 :-)

i had issues with svl7's gtx980m vbios and its not working stable on GT72..btw with clevo's gtx980m vbios made by premamod i can successfully achieve 10k overall fire strike v1.1 score in 3dmark14 (means + %22 performance) with 1365mhz GPU + 6000mhz MEM + (+100mV) 1.1V + 200mhz CPU overclock means 3.8GHZ and played with these settings COD Advanced Warfare nearly 3 hours + Watch Dogs 2 hours + Batman A.Origins 10 hours

without any crash or freeze...i love this shit gt72 :51_002:and verrrrry happy not to buy asus's TOAST machine g751 :57:

but if u try to go further you ll get crash in 1 minutes believe me even the temperatures below 75C anyway,

andone more important thing as i said before i get lower score with clevo's vbios with same frequencies compared to stock vbios so it means this monster machine actually can go further with a more stable custom vbios..plus temperature is not a PROBLEM on GT72 even playing the watch dogs it cant go not more than 72-73C

and 4 days ago when i trying to go further with fsb bus speed and mem speed in intel extreme tuning utility after some settings applied xtu told me to restart the machine and damn....! After restart the shit always restart again and again and again and cant boot right now:72::23_002: and this makes me :22_002::50_002: normally this thing must get back to its default settings after the first restart crash but GT72 doesnt know this and made me shocked....even in my prev.laptop lenovo y510p SLI model which can return its default settings applied not compatible settings in xtu after first restart crash...!!!!

i got the machine to msi service to clear cmos and looking forward to see the good news..

anyway i already sent my original GT72 2QE vbios to PREMAMOD for modding and im sure if he gets time he ll do it he promised :32_002:

• Thumbs Up 1

Fidanza, it seems you also have the GT72 2QE ;)

I was wondering if the MXM prema modded vbios for 980M would work on our 2QE, you tried it without any problem ?

I also understand you asked for a dedicated modded vbios for GT72 2QE, any news about this one from prema ?

Which software do you use to overclock the 980M ? And to test stability/temps ?

Thanks !

@All

Where can I find those 970 vbios mod by Prema? I want to check it out thanks

Found it.. But it seems those vbios only works with clevo notebooks only. Can't use a modded .inf driver (Won't install)

That's intersting... My nvidia verde driver didn't complain on my GT72 when I installed the prema mod.

Whooping +275Mhz Core, +600Mhz Ram with +50mV.

That's intersting... My nvidia verde driver didn't complain on my GT72 when I installed the prema mod.

Whooping +275Mhz Core, +600Mhz Ram with +50mV.

It is because your nb is one of the latest model of msi that is haswell. The bios reads properly the vbios of your notebook so no issue. My GT60 got the ivy bridge and the bios doesn't officially supports 9xxm mxm gpu's. The nb need's a modified .inf in order for the drivers to install successfully. Prema vbios doesn't need modified . inf files. So that's the reason why

I upgraded my AW18 with two 980ms. Only Problem i have is that my 980ms sometimes downclock from 1.02V = 1260.9MHz to ~0.970V = ~ 980Mhz at Full Load. Anyone experienced the same?

Here are 3DMark Firestrike Tests. Sry for bad res. But i think my problem can be seen.

Firestrike Graphics Test 1:

Firestrike Graphics Test 2:

Fidanza, it seems you also have the GT72 2QE ;)

I was wondering if the MXM prema modded vbios for 980M would work on our 2QE, you tried it without any problem ?

I also understand you asked for a dedicated modded vbios for GT72 2QE, any news about this one from prema ?

Which software do you use to overclock the 980M ? And to test stability/temps ?

Thanks !

yes premamod works without any problem with its icc color profile (Chi Mei Innolux N133HSE-EA1) after a custom screen calibration...

used this little program to do so, very easy and wonderfull results ==> Calibrize

and i use msi afterburner 4.0.1 the latest one for GPU and Mem oc. and nvidia inspector for voltage settings together..actually i didnt get any crash with 1430 mhz GPU,6300mem clock and 1.125volt in all 3dmark14 tests but in real time test just like playing games under full load this values give a crash either while booting the game or after 1 minutes of playing...so the best values are written my previous post without anycrash or freeze..

so you can use premamod on your gt72 just like me without anydoubt if you really wanna taste it

good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

That is good news! How far have you pushed the voltage? I am tempted to reflash the unlocked voltage control again and push it today haha. I flashed back to an MSI 970m vBIOS. I think MSI uses a lower stock voltage than the clevo vBIOS and its still fully stable even at max stock OC of +135mhz core, and with lower temps due to lower voltage.

Talon my max OC was about +300 core and +600 memory.. Voltage was 1.065V (I'm running max boost clocks on 0.95V) so I need to push voltage more for bigger OC.. I don't want to brick card and have no time to bench so this is the best for now..

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok thanks a lot Fidanza ! Are you running 344.75 drivers on your GT72 ? Which driver is best for our 980M ?

i tried every driver from 344.24 to 347.09 ..the best one is 344.75 which is i am currently using..

note: in some benchmark test sites such as notebook review and others they reported that msi gt72 gets better scores and fps with 344.00 driver and 344.24 cause to stuttering and give bad fps...

according to this i searched that driver in msi's official web pages but couldnt find it which is like a ghost..finally i found that driver written for GT72 in some 3rd party web pages and downloaded but after installlation my screen got vibrated continuously so then i immediately delete it in safe mode...

anyway you can use all of them except the garbage one 347.09..

• Thumbs Up 1

It is because your nb is one of the latest model of msi that is haswell. The bios reads properly the vbios of your notebook so no issue. My GT60 got the ivy bridge and the bios doesn't officially supports 9xxm mxm gpu's. The nb need's a modified .inf in order for the drivers to install successfully. Prema vbios doesn't need modified . inf files. So that's the reason why

Thank you very much... Now I "really" start to understand what prema tried to explain back when I had issues with upgrading to the GTX980M in my previous laptop (GT70). So what I'm getting is: Whereas in older notebooks the drivers reads the vBios's subvendor and then complains that a clevo card and an MSI notebook is not a legal combination in newer notebooks it's instead masked by the bios ?

Im thinking this because what I experienced first hand is:

I upgrade from GTX570 to GTX770 in an older (pre GT70) MSI whitebook. The GTX770M was from clevo and I wasn't able to install the nv driver. Without modded inf install didn't even start. With modded inf it still failed later during install.Then I flashed a MSI vBios to the card and everything was fine. No need for a modded inf anymore.

So when I flashed the clevo vBios to my MSI GT72 GTX980M I was afraid that I might have to use the modded inf "trick" again... But this time that didn't happen and furthermore tools like nvidiainspector still say the card is from MSI

:11_002:

OK. Enough OT. I could talk about the OC I was able to archive with the prema bios - but again - wrong thread...

@svl7 : Any chance you can mod nvmflash to be usable with UEFI (Alienware 18)?

It tries to find the adapters but is stuck. Right now I can`t even flash my GTX 970Ms on this locked down machine :/

I`m looking to downvolt my GPUs because HWInfo can only do 0, low and high fan settings. And the low is almost enough but I need to downvolt them to be able to.

Here is what I get using mnvflash. I tried having it on for 5 minutes but its stuck

post-20082-14494999180674_thumb.jpg

i tried every driver from 344.24 to 347.09 ..the best one is 344.75 which is i am currently using..

note: in some benchmark test sites such as notebook review and others they reported that msi gt72 gets better scores and fps with 344.00 driver and 344.24 cause to stuttering and give bad fps...

according to this i searched that driver in msi's official web pages but couldnt find it which is like a ghost..finally i found that driver written for GT72 in some 3rd party web pages and downloaded but after installlation my screen got vibrated continuously so then i immediately delete it in safe mode...

anyway you can use all of them except the garbage one 347.09..

Agreed, 347.09 is sh** on maxwell...

Here is the official link for 344.00, a user on a French forum told me it gives the best performance on his GT72, especially regarding stutter (or in this case the absence of it) : http://download.msi.com/nb_drivers/vga/vga_nvidia_344.00_0xfcd2adb3_w818700.zip

So the driver issue with the cards throttling also happens on clevo laptops? I hope it isn't just an alienware specific issue!

There is no throttle with any Clevo...

Hi svl7!

Thank you and johnksss for your work!!!

Will I a special version to flash the 980m on my MSI GT72?

Best regards

phila

The vBios Mod by slv7 seems to have issues with the MSI GT72 (or the other way around) for unknown reasons (no pun intended!). However the vBios modded by Prema (also available here in the forums) seems to work.

Several GT72 (including me) used it by now so it seems to be quiet safe. (My best result is +275MHz core, +600Mhz Mem with +50.0mV Voltage - resulting in a whooping 10169 3DMark Firestrike score).

Also it's a Clevo vBIOS it even works without raising the need to use modded inf files for the nvidia driver.

So until Prema and/or Slv7 come up with a version specially for the GT72 you could give the prema vBios a try.

However: Do not blame anyone when something bad happens - bios mods are always a risk. My machine started to mildly "hum" with the Prema vBios which might be an indication that something is runnning close to the limits (and I do not know on which side of the limits ;) ).

The vBios Mod by slv7 seems to have issues with the MSI GT72 (or the other way around) for unknown reasons (no pun intended!). However the vBios modded by Prema (also available here in the forums) seems to work.

Several GT72 (including me) used it by now so it seems to be quiet safe. (My best result is +275MHz core, +600Mhz Mem with +50.0mV Voltage - resulting in a whooping 10169 3DMark Firestrike score).

Also it's a Clevo vBIOS it even works without raising the need to use modded inf files for the nvidia driver.

So until Prema and/or Slv7 come up with a version specially for the GT72 you could give the prema vBios a try.

However: Do not blame anyone when something bad happens - bios mods are always a risk. My machine started to mildly "hum" with the Prema vBios which might be an indication that something is runnning close to the limits (and I do not know on which side of the limits ;) ).

Thank you very much for your quick response! And thank you for the warning. I flashed my 680m two years ago and was quite anxious. But I know, that it is ones own risk.

I got 2 questions:

1.) How did you manage to flash the vBios on the GT72. Due to the UEFI Bios I find it hard/do not know how to do it?

2.) As you own a GT72 as well - have you had any issues with BSOD? I suffered from those but now seem to have found a cure.

Best regards

phila

P.S.: Am I supposing right, that Intel Anti-Theft is not installed on my system by default - but only supperted (As I am said to disable it before flashing the vBios)?!