M17x (All revisions) OSD Icons by Nospheratu

• 2 months later...

No this mod does not in any way change the functionality of the original OSD provided by Dell/Alienware. It is a purely cosmetic mod.

Taking into consideration the symptoms you are experiencing, I would think you may be using the incorrect OSD version for your model of laptop.

edit: I read there is a BIOS update and an OSD update for the new 17 if that's the model you have. Try updating.

I just came across this thread and can't wait to try it!

I just did a wipe and reinstall of Windows 7 and I was having trouble installing OSD on my M17x R2 from the installer downloaded from the drivers and downloads site for my computer. So instead, I Googled it, and came across this address:

Alienware Onscreen Display Application dated 7/5/13.

There were two options to download so I thought I would try both and see.

I can't wait to try this!

Well, it turned out the link I just posted didn't work for me. I think because it was only meant for the newest laptops. It says it works, for example, with Alienware 17. I thought that meant for the 17" ones but they are calling them by that now. It turned out, I had to install OSD before Command Center and everything was fine...except I find it difficult to even read the default ICONs and would love this upgrade. I'll download when I can. Great job!

Welcome to T|I jukematt :)

Yeah, the install order of our drivers and apps after a clean windows install is important in order to get everything to play nice with each other. You can use the below for future reference, its specific to the R2. Restart where necessary.

1. Intel Ibex Chipset

2. Video card driver

3. IDT audio driver

4. LAN network driver

5. Wireless card driver

6. Bluetooth module driver

7. Synaptics touchpad driver

8. On-screen display (OSD) application

9. Intel RAID manager aka "RST application" For those who do not have a RAID setup but have just a single hard drive its optional (Slower than windows default disk drivers)

Note: Those with solid-state drives may have a controller to be installed for the drive.

10. Free-fall sensor driver

11. Ricoh media card reader driver

12. CIR/infrared driver

13. Install your antivirus program

14. Windows Update/Service Packs.

15. Install the Alienware command center

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, Nospheratu. Oh, you even have the antivirus and Windows updates before Command Center, hmm? I followed this guide: [GUIDE] Unofficial Alienware guide: Installing Windows 7 on your Alienware. It appears that most of the important stuff is the same but the part where it says to install the Command Center and OSD, it says to install Command Center first. I will bookmark this for the future though.

Side question, I am using Stardock MyColors for the BREED theme and apparently it isn't compatible with the latest version of Avast! (I have 8.0.1497). When I open it with the Breed theme active, the window slowly vanishes into the upper left corner of itself until only a small portion of the window remains. I went in MyColors and in the exclusions, I selected every single exe file I could find in the Avast! directory which solved most of the problems. It still does it though from the right click menu to scan a specific folder. Have you ever encountered this and know a solution?

Thank you!

The guide you posted seems a bit generic for Alienware systems. The steps I posted is specific to the M17x R2 and no other laptop. It was created after a lot of trial and error from various R2 users.

Personally, I think the Breed theme is outdated. There will be no updates or support for it. The design was never as clean as it should have been and screams tacky. The Invader theme was much cleaner but unfortunately it wasn't built/ported for 7 as far as I know.

My advice is to forget about the Breed theme. Install the OSD mod on the first post, replace the Start button with the alternative I attached to this post and try to get the Alienware Invader icon pack. I've also added a wallpaper I made for myself in the zip.

Start Button and Wallpaper.zip

Yeah I had the Invader theme on XP and loved it! I really liked how it made the windows look and of course the icons and such. I didn't think about searching for an icon pack from it. I had stuck with Breed since that was the only one compatible. I'll download the above too when I can (new user so I can't download yet).

Still not working for me, m17xr4 3d, Windows 8

Yeah only Touchpad / Camera are working, end OSD in task manager, C:\Program Files (x86)\Alienware On-Screen Display, right click AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe>compatibility>run it under win7 C mode>restart OSD and hit FN-TPAD.

Did you download the "M17x R4 & M18X R2 (Windows 8).zip" version? Are you getting the same error when you restore your backed up original exe?

I used the latest OSD for the R4 from Dell for Windows 8. The setup file is "Application_WD6DW_WN_v0.32.0.7_A02.EXE".

edit:

@Nospheratu Latest version 0.32.0.8C, if you're interested (installation folder) Alienware On-Screen Display_v0.32.0.8C.7z

M17x R4 / M18x R2 Driver Details | Dell US

Great work man !

It's not working, referral error "A referral was returned from the server"

I just noticed that you mentioned the version you have installed is 0.32.0.8C. That version is for the Windows 7 install. The Windows 8 install is version 0.32.0.7 which I have modded. If you are running Windows 8 that is the version you should have installed before overwriting it with the modded exe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry J95, I mistook your current version with the Windows 7 version. I only have the Windows 8 version modded there. I will try to mod the Windows 8.1 version and upload it for you.

edit: @J95 I have added the Windows 8.1 version to the first post. Please test it and let me know if there are any problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still get the referral error w/ v0.32.0.8C, restoring original file works...I'll try v0.32.0.7.

Edit: @Nospheratu both versions 0.32.0.8C / 0.32.0.7 are not working, referral error (clean installed/removed Compal driver/folders/registry), Dell/Compal recycled 2000 ? media buttons..... ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the thorough testing and feedback @J95. Could you please try the steps below and see if it resolves the problem.

- Run gpedit.msc from the start menu.

- Go to Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options.

- Change the value of User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated from Enabled to Disabled.

• Thumbs Up 1