M17x (All revisions) OSD Icons by Nospheratu

• 3 weeks later...

This mod replaces the On Screen Display (OSD) icons that show on screen when you use the dedicated touch panel or keyboard shortcuts to change a setting on the laptop. An example would be when you press the "volume up" button, the OSD icon for the volume level appears on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to T|I gen0zid! :)

Best way to find out it to try. Its just replacing your OSD exe so if you can make a backup of the exe and before you test. You can always restore the backup if it doesn't work. You would probably have to use the M17x R3/R4 - M18x version.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just checked out the OSD for the new 17, I was hoping they changed those pos icons as a revamp with the new model but no such luck :eek:

Guess I have to take the new exe under my wing then :P I'll update the first post once done.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the instructions correct on the first post? Does Dell's OSD installer install into the directory I mentioned? I've no way to test this I just assumed it would be the same as the R4. I'm not sure if Windows 8 has some built in restore functionality once you replace the file. But I doubt they would do that for the Program Files location.

Try to overwrite the existing exe with the modded one instead of backing up the old one. You can always run the Dell OSD installer again if you want the old one back.

Please write the exact steps you took to install this mod and I can maybe tell you if/where you are going wrong.

edit: It seems the OSD you were referring to was the default Windows 8 OSD and not the Alienware version. A few Alienware owners are having an issue with the OSD and Windows 8. Try the solution posted by Dell here and then attempt installing the mod.

• 2 weeks later...