M17x (All revisions) OSD Icons by Nospheratu

I've recreated the OSD Icons for the R1/R2/R3/R4 and R5 aka 17 as the standard ones are a bit dated. It should also work with the M15x though as my old M15x had the same setup for the OSD app. Regarding the R3 OSD, it seems its the same install for the M18x as well so it should work for you M18x owners too. I've also added the AW 17 OSD to the list. This exe is also compatible with the 14 and 18 as Dell uses the same OSD for all the new machines. There's also a set for you Area-51 m17 R1 owners.

I've tried to give it a simular feel to the Invader Icon pack by Alienware. Hope you guys like it :)

preview.png.e78827270b8236b7901d134906ddccdd.png

Install Instructions for R1

1. You need to end the OSD process in Task Manager since it may be using some of these icon files. Ctrl+Shift+Esc then find the OSD process and end it.

2. Backup your current icons if you want to revert to the originals (You can also uninstall and re-install the OSD application if you want to go back to the original icons)

3. Extract the attached "M17X R1-R2 & M15X.zip" contents to C:\Program Files (x86)\OSD\picture\. Overwrite if prompted.

4. Restart the OSD application. It is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\OSD\Launch.exe

5. Done! :)

Install Instructions for R2 /M15x

1. You need to end the OSD.exe process in Task Manager since it may be using some of these icon files. Ctrl+Shift+Esc then find "OSD.exe" and end the process.

2. Backup your current icons if you want to revert to the originals (You can also uninstall and re-install the OSD application if you want to go back to the original icons)

3. Extract the attached "M17X R1-R2 & M15X.zip" contents to C:\Program Files (x86)\OSD\ICONs\. Overwrite if prompted.

4. Restart the OSD application. It is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\OSD\Launch_OSD.exe

Install instructions for R3 / R4 / M18x

1. You need to end the OSD process in Task Manager since it may be using some of these icon files. Ctrl+Shift+Esc then find the AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe process and end it.

2. Backup the existing AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe by renaming it to "AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe.BAK" for example. Its in C:\Program Files (x86)\Alienware On-Screen Display\

3. Extract the AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe from the appropriately named file depending on your OS and model to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Alienware On-Screen Display\ folder.

4. Restart the OSD application by double-clicking the file.

Install instructions for 14 / 17 / 18 **

1. You need to end the OSD process in Task Manager since it may be using some of these icon files. Ctrl+Shift+Esc then find the AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe process and end it.

2. Backup the existing AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe by renaming it to "AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe.BAK" for example. Its in C:\Program Files (x86)\Alienware On-Screen Display\

3. Extract the AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe from the "AW 14-17-18 (Windows 8).zip" file to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Alienware On-Screen Display\ folder.

4. Restart the OSD application by double-clicking the file.

The Area-51 m17-R1 install should be similar to the steps for the other laptop revisions above. They all basically follow the same process anyway, apart from filenames/paths.

@robby_hd was kind enough to make a red version of these icons for the M17x R3 / M18x R1 which can be downloaded from his post here.

**There seems to be a security issue with Windows 8/8.1 at this point in time since it doesn't allow modified exe's. I will update this post with a solution once it has been found. Also a few Alienware owners are having an issue with the unmodified OSD and Windows 8. Only the default Windows 8 OSD displays and not the Alienware version. Try the solution posted by Dell here and then attempt installing the mod.

The below screenprint is a workaround by editing the security policies to allow the unsigned exe to run in Windows 8. If you are not aware of what these settings do and the repercussions of changing them, please do not attempt it.

- Open the Group Policy Editor by typing "gpedit.msc" in the search or run text box.

- Duplicate the settings below.

post-166-14494997235933_thumb.jpg

Area-51 m17-R1.zip

M17X R1-R2 & M15X.zip

M17X R3-R4 & M18X R1-R2 (Windows 7).zip

M17x R4 & M18X R2 (Windows 8).zip

AW 14-17-18 (Windows 8).zip

M17X R4 & M18X R2 (Windows 8.1).zip

Edited by Nospheratu
Restored preview image
  • Thumbs Up 44

AWESOME!!! hmm would these work for the newer models????

+rep b00bs approved!!!

Thanks boobman :) Not sure about the newer models. Do you have an ICONs folder with .bmp images under the OSD folder in Program Files? Does the OSD on the R3 the look the same as your old M15x?

btw your avatar is truly inspirational... that said, I have to read your posts pretty quick here at work :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! make these for teh R3... i love them so much but i can find where to put them on my r3 :C

The R3/M18x's OSD uses a different application with the icons built into the exe. I don't have the R3 to test on so if you don't mind testing it PM me your email address and I'll send you the modded exe once I've completed it ;)

@Alex Six I've uploaded the modded exe for the R3 in the first post. I tried emailing it to you but I forgot about the exe restriction that gmail imposes. Give it a shot, or anyone for that matter even you M18x owners. I downloaded the original exe from the R3 download page at Dell and it stated that the install was for the M17x R3 and the M18x.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the exe is missing the below icons. Don't know if the newer models don't display these.

- Bluetooth

- Clone display

- Extended display

- TV -> HDMI

Edited by Nospheratu

R3 WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THNKS BRO THEY LOOK SOOOOOOOOOOOO NICE!

also... i know its a bit much... but... can you make a red version?

my 17 is red and i keep my lights red and almost 99.99% of my alien is red :/

if you can i would thx u 100,000,000,000,000 more lol

Haha, thanks man :)

Unfortunately I don't have the time. Behind on my code as it is. I can give you a little tut on how you can change the colors by yourself though.

Download Anolis Resourcer from here.

Download irfanview from here.

Download the ICONs.zip and OSD_for_Area-51_m17-R1.zip from the original post.

1. Extract all icons from the zip files into one directory.

2. Use irfanview to change the hue of the unzipped icons. Only change what you need though. You can see which icons are needed in the next step.

3. Use Anolis Resourcer to open up AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe and you will see the icons under the BMP and PNG "folders". You can click on an icon and then select replace and select the icon that matches from your edited ones.

4. Save the file.

5. Replace the original installed exe with your edited one.

6. Done! :)

I use Photoshop for hue changes but I mentioned irfanview as its free. If you are using Photoshop go to Image->Adjustments->Hue and Saturation. With the change hue functionality you basically can change the color to whatever you like. I haven't used irfanview in a long time but I know it has hue change capability and the ability to process images in batches.

I had to create the HDMI IN icon as its unique to the R3/M18x, I've attached it to this post. The CD Eject icon can be found in the OSD_for_Area-51_m17-R1.zip file. The remainder of the icons are from ICONs.zip

Drop me a PM if you experiencing any difficulty.

Have fun! :)

post-166-14494991676192_thumb.png

Edited by Nospheratu
  • Thumbs Up 5

Thanks man! i have PS so that not a bigge, the only reason i asked was because i had no idea how to open the .exe (hahaha open the EXE file) and adjust the images. thanks again bro i will adjust teh colors and perhaps upload them on here if tahts ok with you.

• Thumbs Up 1