possibly dead lenovo y510p

snakebiteil

hey guys,

i have a problem with my Y510P,

i have flashed the modified bios and vbios for my sli version of the laptop,

everything worked fine until i changed a value called "reset time" on my second graphic adapter in bios, i set it to 300ms to see if it might help me fix my hanging problem with sli on,

i also changed the option to always use the second graphic adapted to "enabled"

after that the laptop booted to windows, i started up a game and after a few minutes it hanged and never booted again.

when i hit the power button the keyboard lights up and it responds to light change but the screen wont come up and it doesn't boot to windows.

also, when i connect or disconnect my charger it does a "beep" sound.

anyone have any ideas on how to fix the issue?

or am i dealing with a possibly dead laptop?

and any idea on whether i can try to claim warranty with a modified bios?

Have you try remove the second graphic card?

Removing 2nd gpu will enable intel integrated graphic and your laptop will switch from nvidia card to igpu for displaying. Then reset your bios setting if this work.

yup tried everything..

remove second gpu,

take out battery + second gpu and power cord, press power button for a whole minute then connect the cord back..

i dont think its gpu related since i dont even hear the hard drive read\write when i put my ear to the laptop..

anyone maybe have any idea if the y510p has a cmos reset jumper or removable battery?

thanks in advance

• 3 months later...
hey guys,

everything worked fine until i changed a value called "reset time" on my second graphic adapter in bios, i set it to 300ms to see if it might help me fix my hanging problem with sli on,

after that the laptop booted to windows, i started up a game and after a few minutes it hanged and never booted again.

when i hit the power button the keyboard lights up and it responds to light change but the screen wont come up and it doesn't boot to windows.

Did you fix it?

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2014 at 0:52 PM, snakebiteil said:

hey guys,

I made the same mistake as you and I'm in the same situation as you. However, I may have found a temporary solution.

After Calling Lenovo Tech Support, they confirmed that the Y510P does have a CMOS battery. You'll need to take apart your laptop to access it.

Follow the YouTube Video pacopaco posted above up to the 12min mark of the video. After removing the keyboard and top assembly you'll see a battery soldered onto the board (Silver with Blue circle).

I unsoldered it from the board and waited 1-2mins and soldered it back onto the board and reassembled my laptop (Follow vid in reverse order). Make sure you have all ribbon cables plugged in.

In my test, I had my hard drive, CD drive (ultrabay) and SSD connected to the mobo. Nothing else. I left the laptop battery unplugged and the WLAN card disconnected from the mPCIe port.

I plugged in my external power cable to my laptop and turned on my laptop using the NOVO button (Side Button). Lucky for me, I was able to boot up and get into my windows OS.

After doing this fix I decided to reboot my laptop to get into the BIOS to reset it to default but I got the black screen again, so this isnt a permenant fix to resetting the BIOS. I had to repeat this method multiple times to be able to boot into my OS. The next chance I get, I'll try to get into my OS and run the bios flash program and get my BIOS back to stock. I'm sure flashing it back to 3.05 stock will resolve these problems.

• 3 months later...