No kext loaded, GTX 970 + AKitio2

EVGA GTX 970

IRIS PRO 2013 Late MBPr

Yep, I have tried various methods without success. Thanks for confirming. I haven't seen any report of the 15" Iris Pro late 2013 model, but it does work with 13" Iris (late 2013). I really hope that Apple hasn't disabled this feature with their new firmwares.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7910-diy-egpu-macbook-experiences-12.html

13" or 15"

Thanks for quoting me. I should have added that external monitor won't be detected, but GPU should be visible under system report without no kext loaded messages, so you can use CUDA applications, even though no accelerated screen. I believe mid 2014 MBP 15" Iris Pro only / late 2013 MBP 15" Iris pro only makes no difference. HDMI does not work with GTX970/GTX980 cards.

WebDriver-343.01.03b01 should work on 10.10.1. Edit the NVDAStartup.kext to version <string>14B25 instead of 14C</string> and run "sudo kextcache -system-caches".

Where do I do this?

I see nowhere it says 14B25.

EDIT: I managed to do it!

It gets recognized now, although its a bummer it wont connect to external with hdmi.

Where do I do this?

I see nowhere it says 14B25.

Do google search to get WebDriver-343.01.03b01. You see 14B25 under system report -> Software -> System Version: OS X 10.10.1 (14B25). You can edit the NVDAStartup.kext by for example Terminal using command "sudo nano". You have to change 14C to match system version:

post-28870-14494998971179_thumb.png

Please note that your 15" MBP Iris Pro (late 2013) most likely does not support external monitor via eGPU, but CUDA-Z beta should detect GPU after installing CUDA driver

cuda-z - Browse /cuda-z/Beta at SourceForge.net

CUDA 6.5.25 driver for MAC

Thanks alot, goalque.

But is there any reason for me to use egpu on OSX at all if I cant use ext.monitor?

If you are interested in parallel computing (CUDA and OpenCL) there are numerous applications; accelerated 3D graphics rendering, faster video encoding, bitcoin mining etc. But it's a shortcoming for Steam gamers of course. Late 2013 13" MBP does support eGPU monitors on OS X as well.

So is it the same with 15" MBPr 2014? I'm running my eGPU with GTX 480 fine on Windows but on OS X it simply won't show up any other external screen and the 'About' dialog always shows the Iris Pro GPU.

The Kexts have been edited, boot-args are set and they're loaded. WebDriver is loaded too(GeforceWeb) and the GTX 480 is shown in the Hardware section besides the Iris Pro.

But yea...nothing works.

It's not that important to me but it would have been nice as I was going to do my development stuff on OS X and so the switch from Windows would have been easy.

• 1 month later...
So is it the same with 15" MBPr 2014? I'm running my eGPU with GTX 480 fine on Windows but on OS X it simply won't show up any other external screen and the 'About' dialog always shows the Iris Pro GPU.

The Kexts have been edited, boot-args are set and they're loaded. WebDriver is loaded too(GeforceWeb) and the GTX 480 is shown in the Hardware section besides the Iris Pro.

But yea...nothing works.

It's not that important to me but it would have been nice as I was going to do my development stuff on OS X and so the switch from Windows would have been easy.

That version of drivers used in Windows? I have same GTX480, and the load Windows boot have blue screen.

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue. I followed the directions as per:

A Thunderbolt GPU on a Mac : How-to | Le journal du lapin

Here is my config:

Nvidia WebDriver 343.01.02f03

Mac Yosemite 10.10.1

Akitio Thunder2 PCIe

GeForce GTX 970

Boot args:

kext-dev-mode=1 -v GraphicsEnabler=No nvda_drv=1

Under System Info:

Graphics/Displays

Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Display is here)

NVIDIA ChipModel (PCIe)

Chipset Model: NVIdia Chip Model

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x4

VRAM(total): 256MB // incorrect should be 4gb

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x13c2

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0

So this card is unusable and it's a shame to not be able to use it. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. If there is a setting change I can make so the the card is properly recognized please let me know. I've been trying for over a week to get this working.

Was anyone able to get this working?

-J