Y510P ultrabay Optical Caddy

mumblepins

Hi everyone, I have a Y510P with the 750M SLI option, and I'd really like to be able to switch out occasionally for a blu-ray drive. Does anyone know of a source for the bluray ultrabay drive, or even better, an optical drive caddy (were these even made?) Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

The y510p that I bought had a normal DVD drive in it. Looking at newegg I can't seem to find anything blueray.

I did find this: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 BD-RE Blu-ray Drive Writer - SATA

Honestly I suggest you just go the external route. It's not too cumbersome to carry around a tiny thing and plug it in every once and a while, but if your situation prevents it it's fine.

i know they made an optical drive, but as far as i know it was cd and dvd only, for Y500 anyway which i did purchase one separately for my Y500 SLI a little while after as i actually do use cds and dvds.

at the very least, lenovo made a cd/dvd ultrabay drive for the Y510 but i am uncertain as to whether it was supportive of bluray. i seem to think it was, or there was a version that was, because when i bought my Y500 they had recently introduced the Y510s and people on forums (don't remember where, sorry) seemed to know that the Y500 was incapable of a bluray drive while the Y510 had one (and they won't mix and match physically) but i can't verify this. edit: found this from the same site as the poster above me: Search - y510 - Laptop drives are online

i'm glad i stumbled on this thread. apparently the Y500 has a bluray, but as i thought it is elusive and super expensive. i already have my cd/dvd drive so i'm happy enough. i never bought into the whole bluray thing.

I always found that the extra ultrabay devices weren't easy to find. I managed to get a second 650M for my Y500 to replace the DVD drive. If you only want it occasionally you may want to look into just getting a USB drive. Might be cheaper and easier to obtain. They are also plug and play so you don't have to shut down to swap the drive.

I always found that the extra ultrabay devices weren't easy to find. I managed to get a second 650M for my Y500 to replace the DVD drive. If you only want it occasionally you may want to look into just getting a USB drive. Might be cheaper and easier to obtain. They are also plug and play so you don't have to shut down to swap the drive.

cheaper and easier, certainly - for the external ones.

my ultrabay drive for the Y500 (cd/dvd) was around 70-80$ canadian/american but then apparently i was stuck with needing the brackets put on it (there are two of them apparently) as it did not come with them from what i was told (can't remember where i ordered it, unfortunately). anyway, with shipping, taxes and all that fun stuff it was 120$ give or take some change

i say this only in warning to ask questions and consider all options. the extra 40$ or so was sprung on me after i was already set on getting it, so i would advise bearing that in mind and asking questions first if you decide to go that route.

for me, there was also the novel factor of having the drive fitting into the machine and not hanging off the side (i have too many USB devices and not enough plugs as it is) and didn't really want another one. like i said, it was a novel idea and i liked the idea of it being all-contained in the machine (a "clean" look).