2011 13" MBP + GTX 970@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [entzoe]

Hello Guys,

So, my MBP 2011 HDD broke down two weeks ago. So I replaced it with my previous HDD from Mac Mini (whom I replaced with SDD). This HDD has a Windows 8.1 bootcamp. I tried to implement the eGPU bootcamp on my Mini before with no success.

So I installed the HDD and run OSX, fine. Then, I tried to setup my Bootcamp again with eGPU. So here we go, rebooted my machine to Windows 8.1, GPU was automatically detected and I installed the latest driver. Restarted with external display, and it worked painlessly.

Another test I made was to run the eGPU/Bootcamp without the external monitor. It worked as soon as I boot to Windows no extra configurations made. So here you go sharing my benchmark scores.

System

2011 13" Macbook Pro : i5-2415M 2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, HD3000 iGPU

Windows 8.1 64-bit UEFI install

GTX970 eGPU @ 10Gbps-TB1 via AKiTiO Thunder2

Benchmark Results

3dmark-FS.gpu (internal LCD) = 6739

3dmark-FS (external LCD) = 9225

Unigine gave me 1342

post-28502-14494998886397_thumb.jpg

Other screenshots for additional info

post-28502-14494998885823_thumb.jpg

post-28502-14494998886084_thumb.jpg

post-28502-14494998886237_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 6 months later...
Hello Guys,

So, my MBP 2011 HDD broke down two weeks ago. So I replaced it with my previous HDD from Mac Mini (whom I replaced with SDD). This HDD has a Windows 8.1 bootcamp. I tried to implement the eGPU bootcamp on my Mini before with no success.

So I installed the HDD and run OSX, fine. Then, I tried to setup my Bootcamp again with eGPU. So here we go, rebooted my machine to Windows 8.1, GPU was automatically detected and I installed the latest driver. Restarted with external display, and it worked painlessly.

Another test I made was to run the eGPU/Bootcamp without the external monitor. It worked as soon as I boot to Windows no extra configurations made. So here you go sharing my benchmark scores.

System

2011 13" Macbook Pro : i5-2415M 2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, HD3000 iGPU

Windows 8.1 64-bit UEFI install

GTX970 eGPU @ 10Gbps-TB1 via AKiTiO Thunder2

Could you explain how you installed the Windows 8.1?

Did you install it with bootcamp or uefi, is there a difference?

I'm currently facing a few problem with my eGPU attempt.

I have a 17" 2011 Macbook Pro so this should also work for me.

And neither my internal cards nor sound works, I think that could cause a problem with running on the internal monitor.

I have other issues with my external card :(

But this might fix it too! Who know how boot magic works...

• 3 months later...
  • Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2011 13" MBP + GTX 970@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [entzoe]
  • 2 months later...