DDR3 Price ever coming down?

I have a desktop with 8 gb of ram, but I'd really like to upgrade it to 16gb. Unfortunately I'm a little cash-poor right now, so I've been planning on waiting until the price of DDR3 ram comes down. However, it seems like that may never happen, looking at the price graph here, and I should have bought some more a year or so ago when I originally built this computer :-( Does anyone think that with DDR4 coming into play, the price of DDR3 will start going down? Thanks!

I have a desktop with 8 gb of ram, but I'd really like to upgrade it to 16gb. Unfortunately I'm a little cash-poor right now, so I've been planning on waiting until the price of DDR3 ram comes down. However, it seems like that may never happen, looking at the price graph here, and I should have bought some more a year or so ago when I originally built this computer :-( Does anyone think that with DDR4 coming into play, the price of DDR3 will start going down? Thanks!
The price of memory is probably going to stay up due to the shortage of manufacturing facilities. A huge amount of manufacturing got moved to more expensive facilities a couple of years ago and it might take quite a while for the price to go down again.

• 4 weeks later...

i don't think ddr3 price will go down that shortly.. beacuse ddr4 is much expensive than ddr3 right now. plus only few and very expensive mainboards supports ddr4.

, so people wants to buy ddr3 until ddr4 price is goes down..

it would take more than one year that ddr4 is generalized for people.. may be 2 year?

Yeah, and even then a lot of computers will support DDR3 only. On the other hand it's quite interesting, look at the graphic card, they have got DDR5 already, what is the problem with transferring it to mainboard? Who knows :)

GDDR5 :)

Its not the same :)

The smartphone and tablet industries have really vastly increased the demand for RAM chips (not exactly DDR3, but they share the same factories).

It's not likely the price will drop significantly considering the high demand.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, and even then a lot of computers will support DDR3 only. On the other hand it's quite interesting, look at the graphic card, they have got DDR5 already, what is the problem with transferring it to mainboard? Who knows :)

GDDR5 would be terrible as system memory, the latency is WAYYYYY too high.

• 5 weeks later...

DDR3 prices went up quasi recently because of a factory that burnt down. While that isn't really relevant anymore, I don't think that DDR3 will get any cheaper. Your best bet is to watch buildapcsales.reddit.com and see if anything for RAM pops up there.

Actually, if you have watched DDR3 prices of the last year they have come down almost 50%. Last year this time prices were hovering around 200 USD for 16GB. Today, a year later, they are much closer to 100 USD. I would not have expected this as DDR4 production ramps up. Traditionally when a new technology comes into popularity the old technology's prices plain out and then decrease slightly over the next year while stocks are still high and then start to increase as stocks decline until they are depleted.

I would expect to see DDR3 prices be fairly steady from here on out. Over the last year however, they have dropped so quickly that many manufacturer's are offering rebates to help consumers catch up to market prices.

• 3 weeks later...
GDDR5 :)

Its not the same :)

^ what he said. And GDDR5 speeds are about the same as DDR3. Look at the specs not he number at the end they will and can mislead you. Also GDDR5 is based off DDR3. GDDR is just a revision focused with high bandwidth for applications that demand it such as video. Not trying to grill you or anything, just clearing the air.

The price of memory is probably going to stay up due to the shortage of manufacturing facilities. A huge amount of manufacturing got moved to more expensive facilities a couple of years ago and it might take quite a while for the price to go down again.

^This

DDR4 isn't as popular as needed currently because only X99 uses it and most gamers won't pay $4k for a gaming system. The lowest priced decent DDR4 is $300ish but the CPU and Mobo is upwards of $800

I'd recommend second hand from someone you can trust

• 2 weeks later...