First Desktop Build in years HyperX Hardware OC Bundle

mw86

Hello Tech | Inferno I entered a competition on HW Bot on a whim. I entered late on a 4 week competition. Surprisingly I could not get an entry each week to work of the two weeks I participated for XTU (screenshot validation wouldn't come up with the xtu run uploaded). There were three entries on different tests each week for 4 weeks. I was eligible to enter this contest because I had Kingston HyperX ram in my system. I had bought DDR3L SO-DiMM for my Alien 18 that was a replacement for my previous M18x R1 this year under warranty. Still being new to the 22nm scene and having not used Ivybridge, Haswell was a very new beast to me. We had to run XTU, Super-Pi and Maxmem etc with different sub-scores or scores as the requirement. It was a lot of fun and I honestly only got to spend about 3 nights or so on my entries at all. I was surprised when I placed against all Liquid Cooled or phase cooled desktop rigs. We had to place in the top 6 to at least win the competition and I have never won anything in my life. I won 6th place and to me that was the greatest victory and experience. I admittedly never entered a competition before, so to me it was a very gratifying experience.

It is an honor to share this entire experience with you and more of an honor to have met all of you here. To have learned from each other and to have shared all our experiences good or bad in technology. Very recently @Mr.Fox and @J95 helped me the past two months get acquainted with Haswell. Thank you kindly gentleman. @Stamatis-X as well encouraged me to go for it a great friend indeed. Very quickly I was starting to see the caveats to an Alien 18 and Haswell furnaces. The furnace was cooled by Liquid Pro (liquid metal alternative to thermal paste for those that don't know) after getting some practice on some older laptops around me and comparing Liquid Ultra and Liquid Pro in real world use. With my rig thermals in order and XTU/Throttle Stop/Bios Settings/HWiNFO combo I was back on track and clocking away again thanks to @Mr.Fox for all the advice on how to get started thanks to all his great expertise. Testing my CPUs ranges I got the 4940mx validated just under 5ghz like Mr.Fox and had my ram on 1.35v hitting 2220mhz@CL11-11-11-34 by using base-clock which is how I entered the competition. I got a Wprime 32m to 4.8secs something seconds on air at i think 4.8ghz (have to check) on air so I knew I had a nice range of performance available (my Sandybridge 2960xm needed extreme AC assistance and CL9 2133 ram at 1.65v to achieve 4.8secs and 5.135 GHz to get there). So I went at clocking my Haswell real high and running Maxmem for best scores they were looking for and SuperPi was there hardest I let it run all cores same speed for that test so each core would stay cooler on air vs locking to one core. XTU regrettably I couldn't get my entry in but I got ones ranging just shy of 1100 using less than 4.4ghz was near 4.35. Overall the competition was a lot of fun. I learned I can do a lot more than I thought I could and that if you try hard you can succeed. I will look for more competitions, this was a wonderful experience.

To my surprise I was later notified about a week later that I had been selected as a winner of a HyperX Hot NA Hardware Bundle via email. I really didn't think I placed high enough to win something I simply thought cool I got my name on the list lol. So below this post are a few photos and screenshots of the Competition and the Hardware I won.

post-34-1449499885727_thumb.jpg

The email stated the following which I was shocked to read:

" Congratulations! You have been selected as a winner to receive a HOT hardware bundle! This includes:

HyperX Predator DDR3 8GB 2800MHz kit

HyperX 3K SSD 240GB

GIGABYTE Z97X-SOC FORCE

Gelid GC Extreme 10G

Cooler Master V750

Cooler Master Nepton 140XL

To receive your prize bundle, please reply"

I am honored to win and I am glad to share my experience with you all.

post-34-14494998858155_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494998858614_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494998859275_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494998859617_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494998860716_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494998861766_thumb.jpg

I would like to give a lot of thanks to all of you here. I would like to give a special thanks and I know I am going to miss a few people (apologies) but you are all greatly appreciated even if I fail to mention you. Thank you @Brian @svl7 @Michael @StamatisX @unclewebb @Mumak [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] @unreal25 @chmod1337 @Conker @angerthosenear @Xonar @johnksss @J95 @deadbydawn @iloveb00bs @Prema @Aikimox @bifnewman @DaneGRClose @DanXbix @daveh98 @debaucher @DR650SE @Erich86 @eYe-I-aie... @faiz23 [MENTION=19224]free[/MENTION]domofthedarkenedheart @Gearsguy @GetFound @hidz7 @HOPELESSLYFAITHFUL @HTWingNut @ichime @iPhantomhive @Ixel @JCrichton @jeffereybaks @Jimbo [MENTION=7]Jubbin Grewal[/MENTION] @katalin_2003 @Kensei @KristoferNathan @Leo14 @littleone562 @louis198920 @Marcus007 @mitchellpeixer @mmskate13 @n3ocort3x @Nando @Nekojin @Ninjahunter @Nospheratu @Pursuit @ragingazn628 @rawhide85 @robby001 @robby_hd [MENTION=95]Silent Bob[/MENTION] @Simplified @Speedy Gonzalez [MENTION=305]Staff Sargent[/MENTION] @Stevenxowens792 @Strigae @thanats007 @TheGame @TitanGod @usmc362 @vikingrinn @Warp(d)Alien @wbabt007 @widezu69 @Khenglish @Slovedon @cresterk @louis1978uk @TBoneSan @Robbo @muhd86 @mohsen @Klem @arazvan2002 @godfafa

In no particular order. Thank you all for being great friends and inspiration. Also for the fun friendly competition to keep us going.

I want to thank my family as well. My dear Mother and Father, Holly and James as well as my Brother Maxx. My friends off the net Rob, Shawn and Ryan thank you. A special thanks to someone special in my life R.L.S You are my greatest inspiration and true friend.

This kit may turn into a build which I'd be glad to get suggestions for. I haven't received the motherboard yet but I will share when that comes as well. Cheers and thankful for great friends. Will be first Desktop Build in years.

• Thumbs Up 14

It is always great to read about users pushing their hardware to the edge of self destruction, all in the name of running some good numbers.

It makes me smile when you mention that ThrottleStop was part of your overclocking efforts. :glee:

Congrats!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow thanks Staff Sargent and unlcewebb. Of course unclewebb, Throttle Stop is an integral component of any good running Intel Silicon and it is an honor to be able to use your program. Good to see all my great friends at Tech Inferno.

Congratulations, awesome to see you living up to the T|I motto "We put technology to the test" - --- - And on a laptop too none-the-less, very impressive work!

Can't wait to see your build sourced from your winnings. You got quite a nice grab-box of parts there to get your build started, and especially with Black Friday sales going on, getcha a nice 4790K for cheap!

Made a build on pcpartpicker using the parts you won + things to get. Chose the NZXT H440 case since it's orange/black like your motherboard. Tossed in a 1TB WD Black for a secondary drive. And figure you'll probably want a nice GPU, so chose the GTX 980, but can go with the GTX 970 if you want.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.98 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 140XL 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)

Memory: Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2800 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)

Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($534.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)

Total: $1024.94

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-30 20:49 EST-0500

Once again, congrats on winning in the competition.

gottagofast

• Thumbs Up 1

Congratulations, awesome to see you living up to the T|I motto "We put technology to the test" - --- - And on a laptop too none-the-less, very impressive work!

Can't wait to see your build sourced from your winnings. You got quite a nice grab-box of parts there to get your build started, and especially with Black Friday sales going on, getcha a nice 4790K for cheap!

Made a build on pcpartpicker using the parts you won + things to get. Chose the NZXT H440 case since it's orange/black like your motherboard. Tossed in a 1TB WD Black for a secondary drive. And figure you'll probably want a nice GPU, so chose the GTX 980, but can go with the GTX 970 if you want.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.98 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 140XL 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)

Memory: Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2800 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)

Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($534.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)

Total: $1024.94

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-30 20:49 EST-0500

Once again, congrats on winning in the competition.

gottagofast

Thank you very much angerthosenear hehe I love pushing hardware. Getting Sandy Mobile to 5ghz was cool and it definitely has been a fun journey since. Being a part of T|I is like having a family away from home. Glad to be amongst fellow enthusiasts.

That is a great build list you setup and posted, thank you. That case is very cool and does match the motherboard. I was definitely thinking of the 4790k since thats the best chip for the socket. I wont be able to get parts till a bit into December so prices may change but I definitely want a 4790k in the system, ill skip the storage drive since i have plenty around externally so to save a couple $. 980 definitely the best choice, I see so many variances in prices on gpus for the same cards setup different by each third party so I appreciate the link that looks like a nice price on GTX980. Looking forward to building this beast and sharing the experience along the way.

I know Brian went the way of the Desktop not long ago. I am sure this will be great fun. Haha my last desktop build for myself I could call my own was an Athlon XP barebone kit from Soyo :P:D

• Thumbs Up 1

I told you guys to do that a long time ago. :36_002:

Brother John.... In the name of number chasing let there be no hardware not overclocked lol

Very inspiring to bring a win home for the team...

We should actually fill a few more leader boards with the T|I branding. :)

Thanks Prema I really have Tech Inferno and all of you to thank. I was glad to help put Tech Inferno Team out there more. I try to enter new scores on HWBOT when I get time, our team is doing pretty good.

Wow omg, thank all of you so much. So glad to see all my great friends here. Even if you dont frequent here much or recently, you all equally are great friends and am very glad to see everyone here. Lol Cresterk "may your frames be high and temps be low" :D

Thanks Faiz23 and J95 :D I am eyeing that 4790K still at $300, Im making a deposit tommorow so lets hope I can still find one for $300 since Cyber monday will be over. The GPU may have to wait longer but I can use IGP for great overclocking fun.

Haha yeah J95 you know I am going to try 1.65v @ 2800mhz CL12 just sounds incredible so will have to see what can be managed. I might build it open case to save on build cost at first till later I get a case lol. I checked on the motherboard they should start shipping maybe another week from now. :Banane09:

• Thumbs Up 1