P570WM upgrades

I'm in the process of buying a P570WM. Since it cannot be found any more in popular configurator sites, I'd need to perform some upgrades by myself. The second-hand machine I'm buying has glossy display, 16 GB mem, single GTX 880M. So upgrades would include:

1. Replace the super glossy LCD to a matte type

2. Upgrade 2x8 GB mem to 4x8 GB

3. Adding a 3rd Crucial m550 256 GB

4. Equipping an extra GTX 880M in SLI

5. Extra 330W AC + converter box

I wonder if any of performed any of these upgrades. Questions about those:

1. LCD: how to open up the LCD assembly cover in a nice way

2. Mem: where are the 4 slots located. On photos I could peek only one of them. I'll do that upgrade once I see what memories it currently has, and try to buy two exact matches.

3. If the laptop only has 2 SSD configured, does the chassis contain the empty HDD bracket under the battery for this? I hope configurator companies don't take it out, because I cannot find it anywhere

4. That's the most serious upgrade besides the LCD. Will this work at all (can the BIOS handle it if it can handle a single 880?), can there be any pitfalls? If the laptop I'm buying had extra copper heatsinks configured, can I get extra heatsinks somewhere for the upgrade card? Does upgrademonkey kit contain the SLI bridge too? (the photo shows it, but the kit is not a secondary GPU kit just a regular kit).

5. PSU: can it be a problem if the upgrade PSU is not an exact match of the current?

Any advice is welcome. BTW, although I'm not a technician, but I have fixed GPS units, watches, thermostat controllers and laptops in the past. My biggest laptop fix was a motherboard replacement, which basically mean gutting out everything and putting it all back together. I'm still nervous about the P570WM since it's quite expensive (and impressive) piece of monster. So I don't want to screw up anything. I'm not technician

Thanks

Ram is always easy to upgrade. For my Alien 18 there are two slots under the bottom cover and two under the keyboard assembly I would imagine it is similar on the Clevo.

Upgrading to a second 880m in Sli should be straight forward as well. Needing the second gpu, heatsink and Sli bridge cable yes. You would need to make sure this is a heatsink for the secondary slot. Secondary slot heatsink can be different from primary.

As long as it is a Clevo PSU for the same model. If not you may run into issues.

If you have done one motherboard replacement it should be pretty straight forward performing these upgrades.

ctoth said:
I'm in the process of buying a P570WM. Since it cannot be found any more in popular configurator sites, I'd need to perform some upgrades by myself. The second-hand machine I'm buying has glossy display, 16 GB mem, single GTX 880M. So upgrades would include:

1. Replace the super glossy LCD to a matte type

2. Upgrade 2x8 GB mem to 4x8 GB

3. Adding a 3rd Crucial m550 256 GB

4. Equipping an extra GTX 880M in SLI

5. Extra 330W AC + converter box

I wonder if any of performed any of these upgrades. Questions about those:

1. LCD: how to open up the LCD assembly cover in a nice way

2. Mem: where are the 4 slots located. On photos I could peek only one of them. I'll do that upgrade once I see what memories it currently has, and try to buy two exact matches.

3. If the laptop only has 2 SSD configured, does the chassis contain the empty HDD bracket under the battery for this? I hope configurator companies don't take it out, because I cannot find it anywhere

4. That's the most serious upgrade besides the LCD. Will this work at all (can the BIOS handle it if it can handle a single 880?), can there be any pitfalls? If the laptop I'm buying had extra copper heatsinks configured, can I get extra heatsinks somewhere for the upgrade card? Does upgrademonkey kit contain the SLI bridge too? (the photo shows it, but the kit is not a secondary GPU kit just a regular kit).

5. PSU: can it be a problem if the upgrade PSU is not an exact match of the current?

Any advice is welcome. BTW, although I'm not a technician, but I have fixed GPS units, watches, thermostat controllers and laptops in the past. My biggest laptop fix was a motherboard replacement, which basically mean gutting out everything and putting it all back together. I'm still nervous about the P570WM since it's quite expensive (and impressive) piece of monster. So I don't want to screw up anything. I'm not technician

Thanks

Hi there as per my sig i hav a clevo p570wm aka eurocom panther 5 its very easy it somewhat large and heavy mother to work on but it's worth your effort

1. lcd is very simple to open up remove the rubber bungs in the bezel and you'll be rewarded by cross head screws also on the under side of the machine there are 3 central screws at the very back to lift off the plastic cover above the keyboard (be carrful of the small ribbon,there isn't much length so could be damaged easily.

2. 3 slots under the keyboard very easy to change but there is 1 bugger very strangely located under the cpu heatsink to the very far right with the machine upside down so be prepared to repast ur cpu

3.laptop has a twin caddy under the center cover at the front there is an additional bay for a single drive under the cover next to it (under battery) if you require a 4th you'll be needing a cd-rom to sata hd drive bay from ebay about $8.00

4.forget the copper heat sinks they make no differance at all... Now if the machine came as single card and you want SLI this is going to be very expensive.A single card will run nice but why buy a monster machine like this when a p170sm is smaller and simular performance...

if you go SLI you need to budget for:-A 2nd 330w psu // link converter to plug them both into your machine // sli ribbon cable (to link the 2x gtx 7XXm 8XXm 9xxm video cards) // heatsink kit containing undercard insulated adhesive backed copper plate that mounts to your motherboard under the card then the 8 screws to mount the card and heatsink and the 2nd fan (with 3 blac screws...same as chassis screws for this machine)if the machine was originally spec with solo card none of that will be supplied and your looking at a bill of approximately $8-900 for card and upgrade equipement

Best advise make do with the solo 880m then replace it with a solo 980m or look for a cheaper machine.

Ive done all the above its easy but ur wallet will take a pounding personally im selling my machine or sticking the 2 gtx980m's in i just ordered last week mine was solo amd card i upgraded to SLI 780 clocked the monkeys out of her with no regrets at all so its well worth your efforts..... and it will be an alienware killer if you get a good cpu

i run the 4930k 6core 12 thread ivy-E but i regret not getting a quad as these beastys run very warm i run stable at 24/7 4400mhz and ram at 2133 but its all down to luck Thumper on here can get 4500 on his cpu but can only run 1866mhz on his quad channel kit so dont be supprised or dissapointed

Good luck in your endevour.

on ebay ceg (member):- Clevo _extreme_gaming member will supply everything you need.

If you run into trouble or get stuck or cant work something out,take a step back send me a PM and ill get back to you when im awake as my panthers always with m i can take a peek or explain anything that catches you out!.

Alternatively buy mine /j/k

• Thumbs Up 1

ps. i have the ultra glossy screen in mine sadly my motherboard cant support the 120hz screen so i just overclocked my hanns panel and was lucky enough to hit a stable 110hz but i run at 80hz make a large differance couldnt be happier and saved me $90.00+shipping and import duty...

Eurocom also on ebay Upgradeyourlaptop will likely be able to supply all the advise and parts you require or many other clevo sager resellers on here Mythlogic are very much worth giving a phone call for parts there really nice people and extremely helpful!

awesome i got 100hz on my alien display a bit over but 100 makes sure i am below the threshold.

Thats great advice Louis1978uk and I am thinking of picking up that type of a laptop next year. I think I would like the extra threads and to be able to use a 130watt cpu and well quad channel ram. Eurocom is an incredible manufacurer. Im using 4 ssd in my Alien 18. 2 ssd main bays, 1 ssd in optical bay and msata ssd drive. they raid 0 all 4 and each port is sata 3 6gbps. Do you know if you load the 4 hd in the laptop if all 4 ports including using optical bay is sata3 6gbps. I was thinking going similar route as you guys besides the desktop build ill be starting out soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

My future (although I fear to say that since it's not shipped yet) P570WM was assembled by ProStar originally. The first owner configured the "Glare Type 90% NTSC Color Gamut Display" into it, is that the Super Glossy? In my current P180HM (Mythlogic) I have a glossy display, and I wouldn't be able to use it in a coffee shop. So if I was to configure one by myself, I'd select a Matte 120Hz type display.

I looked at an Amazon listing and an ebay listing. None of them can even specify if it'll be a glossy or matte what you gonna get! o_O

"You are purchasing a BRAND NEW 17.3" WUXGA (1920X1080)

FULL HD Matte/Glossy LED-backlit screen.

This glossy/anti-glare screen displayed sharp images and solid viewing angles.

Even at more than 45 degrees to the left and right colors were still bright and colorful."

The listings refer to 2 specific AUO panels: B173HW01 V.4, B173HW01 V.7

of which the V.7 doesn't even exist as far as my search turned out. One of the Amazon reviewers reported that he got a Chimei panel instead of an AUO.

So my plan changed to the following regarding the display at this moment: if the screen is glossy but looks fine, I leave it alone.

Yes, I tried to upgrade my P180HM (I'll open another topic about that), 2 slots towards the bottom and one slot under the keyboard. I hope it'll be smooth.

I don't like the part when I have to pry open the plastic cover of the indicator LEDs above the keyboard. Every time I fear I gonna break something.

Thanks for the advice on the secondary GPU slot, I'll contact the seller. The photo shows an SLI bridge, but the title of the item is not a secondary kit, just an upgrade kit.

Every laptop (even form the same model type) can be a surprise.

louis1978uk said:
Hi there as per my sig i hav a clevo p570wm aka eurocom panther 5 its very easy it somewhat large and heavy mother to work on but it's worth your effort

1. lcd is very simple to open up remove the rubber bungs in the bezel and you'll be rewarded by cross head screws also on the under side of the machine there are 3 central screws at the very back to lift off the plastic cover above the keyboard (be carrful of the small ribbon,there isn't much length so could be damaged easily.

2. 3 slots under the keyboard very easy to change but there is 1 bugger very strangely located under the cpu heatsink to the very far right with the machine upside down so be prepared to repast ur cpu

3.laptop has a twin caddy under the center cover at the front there is an additional bay for a single drive under the cover next to it (under battery) if you require a 4th you'll be needing a cd-rom to sata hd drive bay from ebay about $8.00

4.forget the copper heat sinks they make no differance at all... Now if the machine came as single card and you want SLI this is going to be very expensive.A single card will run nice but why buy a monster machine like this when a p170sm is smaller and simular performance...

if you go SLI you need to budget for:-A 2nd 330w psu // link converter to plug them both into your machine // sli ribbon cable (to link the 2x gtx 7XXm 8XXm 9xxm video cards) // heatsink kit containing undercard insulated adhesive backed copper plate that mounts to your motherboard under the card then the 8 screws to mount the card and heatsink and the 2nd fan (with 3 blac screws...same as chassis screws for this machine)if the machine was originally spec with solo card none of that will be supplied and your looking at a bill of approximately $8-900 for card and upgrade equipement

Best advise make do with the solo 880m then replace it with a solo 980m or look for a cheaper machine.

Ive done all the above its easy but ur wallet will take a pounding personally im selling my machine or sticking the 2 gtx980m's in i just ordered last week mine was solo amd card i upgraded to SLI 780 clocked the monkeys out of her with no regrets at all so its well worth your efforts..... and it will be an alienware killer if you get a good cpu

i run the 4930k 6core 12 thread ivy-E but i regret not getting a quad as these beastys run very warm i run stable at 24/7 4400mhz and ram at 2133 but its all down to luck Thumper on here can get 4500 on his cpu but can only run 1866mhz on his quad channel kit so dont be supprised or dissapointed

Good luck in your endevour.

on ebay ceg (member):- Clevo _extreme_gaming member will supply everything you need.

If you run into trouble or get stuck or cant work something out,take a step back send me a PM and ill get back to you when im awake as my panthers always with m i can take a peek or explain anything that catches you out!.

Alternatively buy mine /j/k

1. OK, that sounds standard. If I remove the rubber bungs, at least 1 out of 4 will fall out shortly and get lost :)

2. I really don't want to disturb the CPU if I don't have to. I'll see how it goes.

3. I saw it on photos, I was just wondering if the caddy will be there for the 3rd. (BTW, some sites allowed to configure 4 HDDS (besides the two mSATA and the optical bay), how did they do that? Did they have a caddy for 3 drives in the center?)

4. Well, for me SLI is important. Strangely I won't even overclock. I'm planning to buy extra PSU and converter box, and I try to play the safest way possible. If I'd configure on my own, I'd configure SLI GTX 780Ms, because it's the same as 880M just a little lower freq.

It's about a software project I want to finish (besides full time work plus extra projects). I promised myself 3 years ago when I bought the P180HM that I wouldn't buy a new machine until I finish that project. After the P570WM appeared on the scene I regularly configured it for fun before falling asleep. Now as it is disappearing I need to move, since I feel that there won't be such machine any more. Probably a lesser model (like Clevo P377SM-A) would do it for me, but I just got obsessed with the P570WM.

For the CPU I'll have i7-4820K. I'm happy about that: I don't want to set the house on fire. If I configured it, I'd get maybe a Xeon. I'll do some experiments running 4 or more VMs for example. It's not for gaming.

2x sata 3 2x sata 2 Afaik i only use 2 ports under the center cover ill check when i get a chance.

Thanks, hmmm I wonder if they will make a new build based off of socket lga 2011 but a DDR4 motherboard for use with 5960X. That would require DDR4 SoDimm something yet to hit the market as well. In which case maybe will use all Sata3 id hope.

@louis1978uk

[Forsale] Clevo Hd7970m 2gb (purchased@eurocom 10/22/14. uxCaC4B AH7MxlxQUCgDQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==NEWuxCaC4B AH7MxlxQUCgDQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Unfortunately I am not able to PM you. I think I haven't reached my 5 Posts yet! :-)

Can you please PM me regarding your 7970m which is still for sale hopefully? Is it Rev 1.2, as I plan to upgrade my P170HM.

Thank you in advance!

• 4 months later...

I'd like to thank again for any advices. Some updates on my journey.

I successfully upgraded to 32GB and installed another 880M in SLI.

1. For the memory, I was fortunate, and the memory slot which is covered by the CPU was already filled, so I didn't have to remove it.

2. The GPU upgrade was harder, because I didn't have any instructions, most particularly the SLI cable looked way to short. I tried to figure out searching for photos. Finally I ruled out everything and left with the only possible way, which still causes the cable to drastically bend on one end: you need to lead the cable *below* the primary GPU, between the black protective foil and the mobo PCB. I had to lift up the primary GPU for that (obviously).

I made a video of it, but it's so huge I don't have space to edit it.

Since then I've found another photo where the SLI cable is more visible, if we can say that. You don't see the cable much because it goes under everything.

Other than that the kit I bought from eBay contained everything. One other gotcha: they supplied IC Diamond paste, which is absolutely unusable. It's too rigid and viscose, and it doesn't stick at all. It's impossible to nicely distribute it. I had to use a noname paste I had in hand.

3. Since then I also replaced the glossy LCD to a Matte type. I was shy for a long time, but I sometimes work in a library or environment where the reflection was somewhat disturbing.

The fun part: all the sellers on eBay or Amazon warn you, to make sure that the panel you buy is compatible. Ok, so what panel will you get *exactly*? They don't tell you in advance, whatever they'll have in stock. (clap) Nice! So they cannot tell you what it will be, but make sure it's compatible. They are not responsible for anything. And they often don't even tell you if it'll be glossy or matte, which is really WTF category.

I gambled (this is how I live dangerously) and ordered one where they could at least guarantee it'll be matte, and it wasn't in the $90-$130 price range but rather $60-$70. Cheaper price can be risky though. Who knows if it's used, or refurbished. Will there be any dead pixels? I pried open the LCD frame after removing the rubber studs and screws. Discovered that I had an AUO B173HW01 V4 installed, which is the high gamut screen. It's TN, and only 6bit color channels (but that's common).

AUO B173HW01 V4 Overview - Panelook.com

The new panel is a ChiMei Innolux N173HGE-L11

CHIMEI INNOLUX N173HGE-L11 Overview - Panelook.com

When I saw that both are fortunately WLED backlit, and 3.3V, I was more confident it'll be compatible. The panel didn't came with any cable (literally nothing besides the panel), but fortunately it was 100% compatible, exactly the same place.

I didn't have to disconnect any antennas, microphone or camera cables, just the panel cable on the LCD side. Cool.

The ChiMei actually has 1:650 contrast ratio as opposed to the high gamut AUO's 600. According to the data sheets. And faster response time, but it's not a gaming machine anyway, so I don't care. I didn't see any dead pixels.

Looking at the pricing of the exact ChiMei model, it's in the $60 range, so don't pay $90-$130 for it.

4. I went through hell finding an exact match Delta 330W PSU to my existing one. Almost all f*cker sellers just sell sh*tty OEM, noname compatible cr*p. Some of them almost look like the same, but you put them on a scale and they are lighter then the Delta. That means probable smaller capacitors, less heat sinks and protection circuits according to my magical sphere. I sent back 3 of those cr*ps right away to various sellers. I made the bad decision to go for a webshop, which turned out to be based in China. I'm still running for my money, there's a PayPal issue going on in the resolution center. $200. It's a lot, but noone will pay me for my extra time, and shipping costs. The Chinese webshop titled the item as original genuine Delta too. What I got from there wasn't even an OEM, it was completely unmarked, and looked like the 300W Chicony, probably a crappy copy of that. (They asked me: but does it work? I told them I don't care if it works, it is not a genuine Delta what I ordered, not to speak that it's probably 300W).

Finally I ordered a Delta from Germany through Amazon. Guess what: I exactly got what was on the photo, a genuine Delta. Looks like Germany doesn't screw you around. Sad that I had to order overseas, it arrived surprisingly quickly.

5. Last thing: I want to upgrade with an SSD. Two bays are filled with Crucial M550 256GB. But I spotted on the market that the 512GB mSATA Crucial M550 is in a very good price. I was very excited, until I found forums where people reported that they successfully soldered extra capacitors for stability of their mSATA. That doesn't sound good. Soldering capacitors? o_O I was hoping that I'll have an mSATA socket, because Pro-Star's (1st owner bought the laptop from there) configurator offered mSATA too back in the day, and Pro-tar is supportive of mSATA. The socket would be under the keyboard on the top left area according to the photos. In my case it's not even about capacitors, but the socket itself is not soldered on to the mobo :(((, so I'll have to fill the 3rd SSD bay.

Or is there any magic equipping mSATA? I've soldered GPS and thermostat in the past successfully, but those were rather $200 value and less. Less complex connections. Not a $3000+ laptop. I probably don't want to screw up my machine mocking around.

It's almost perfect now.

More noisy than my Clevo P180HM unfortunately. I know that the CPU is desktop, but I hoped that 22nm Ivy Bridge will keep the fans low. I don't torture it.

• 7 months later...

Since my last report I had temporary dead sub pixels on the lower part of the matte ChiMei panel, but I could easily massage them out! If one appears (usually the green or blue sub pixel gets stuck on, visible on black background), I just gently massage the close area in round circles. 2-3 circles heals the pixel. No kidding!

- - - Updated - - -

I talk about mSATA in another thread: https://forum.techinferno.com/clevo-reviews-owners-lounges/9600-p570wm-msata.html