M18x r-1 gtx 880 upgrade … How to?

gimdi

Hi guys, I want to upgrade my m18x r-1 with a gtx 880 but I have somequestions, I would appreciate the help of experienced forum. I don´t have much experience and my English is not too technical, so I do not understand 100% some explanations of this fórum.

From what I've understood the steps are:<o:p></o:p>

1.- Installing card<o:p></o:p>

2.- Flash unlocket BIOS (actually Dell A05)<o:p></o:p>

3.- Disable HD audio<o:p></o:p>

4.- Disable onboard grahpic card<o:p></o:p>

5.- Install nvidia driver with the .ini mod<o:p></o:p>

The first question I have is if absolutely necessary to update unlocket BIOSversion, and if I must also update the VBIOS as some people have done?<o:p></o:p>

I'd recommend getting a 780m instead, as the 880m is pretty much a rehash of it, with more VRAM (which won't do anything for performance unless you plan to game with multiple displays, or 4k resolutions).

I appreciate your advice, also yesterday in another foro read that with r1 this card not work 100% fine... so 780m is best option. By Price AMD HD8970M R9-M290X 4GB also seems a good option, but have not yet entirely clear if will work fine on my r1.

• 1 month later...
Other question I have is that my currently left heatsink for my GPU (ATI 6990M), would be compatible with new NVIDIA or should need new one.

gimdi, I'm also looking to upgrade my GPU's, from what I've found AW offers both 75W and 100W heatsinks for the M18x, they should be labeled on the heatsink itself. There is a good video posted by Eurocom Technology showing the physical replacement of GPU's and the labeling on the heatsinks here:

In it you can clearly see one of the heatsinks labeled as 75W and the other at 100W. While in the video he doesn't switch out the 75W heatsink, I believe he should have for the 880m's that he put in as they are 100W parts. I'm sure it would probably still work, but I know I'll be upgrading my heatsinks in this rig to the 100W part when I do my GPU upgrade.

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 2670QM in my M18x r1 (about 3 years old now) and it runs a bit hot i think (about 50-60° at idle), the GPUs are a bit colder.

would it help to repaste the heatsinks (cpu and gpus), or should i also look for the stronger heatsink?

I have the 2670QM in my M18x r1 (about 3 years old now) and it runs a bit hot i think (about 50-60° at idle), the GPUs are a bit colder.

would it help to repaste the heatsinks (cpu and gpus), or should i also look for the stronger heatsink?

The 2670QM in the R1 originally ships with a dual pipe heatsink. A repasting with quality TIM is always a good idea, and if you want extra added cooling (and to set yourself up for a potential upgrade to an extreme 2920xm/2960xm down the road), you can always replace your existing CPU HS with the much beefier Extreme Edition HS.