Steam in home Streaming client system requirements?

bauto601

Hello,

I've got a question, i'm having the following setup:

Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz @ 4Ghz (prescott)

Asus P4C800 Deluxe

2GB DDR400 dual channel ram (4x512mb)

40GB WD raptor

Now this is what valve says as system requirements for the client pc:

The client has more modest requirements, but should have a GPU that supports hardware accelerated H264 decoding. Any recent laptop or PC should meet the client requirements.

So:

SSE2: Check!

A fast connection between the pc's: Check!

H264 decoding: ?

Do you guys think that if i put a 4650 or 4670 in the system that it will work as client pc without fps drops or things like that?

H.264 is video decoding. I wouldn't worry too much about this assuming you aren't trying to use really old hardware.

Steam In Home Streaming is essentially just rendering everything on one computer, and client computers just remote into it to show the game + controls.

So essentially pretend you are gaming on the computer you are streaming from + a bit of extra strain from streaming.

---

The laptop in your signature would do farrrrrr better than the one in your post.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the laptop in my signature is going to be the host. :lemo: I want an extra computer in my room which is connected to:

Beamer (1 VGA cable)

Logitech DFGT (steering wheel) (1 connector)

PS2 ethernet cable to share games from my hdd to my ps2 (1 cable)

mouse (1 cable)

keyboard (1 cable)

Stereo (1 cable)

Power (1 cable)

As you can see, i have to connect 7 cables to my laptop to get it working. I'm not that lazy that i don't want to plug in the cables but i also have to bring my laptop and power brick upstairs and make some room on my desk. Which is a bit too much work for 1 hour of gaming. Then i'm 15 minutes busy with connecting so i can game for 1 hour :ambivalence: So i thought, what if use steam streaming and my watercooled Pentium 4 (:Banane24:) to stream the games from my laptop to the pc that is already there and i can watch netflix and youtube stuff on it, maybe some retro games that won't run anymore on my laptop.

But if i don't have a gpu that can fully decode H264 my cpu will have to do (a part of) it, which will completely collaps because it's an 11 years old singlecore, you get it?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Steam streaming option is pretty versatile from what I understand. I have a friend who added Starcraft 2 to his steam library, and then streamed it to his MAC laptop on ultra settings and it worked great. I've even had Skyrim streaming thru Tunngle(VPN gaming, simulates LAN), so I wasn't even on my home network. It's even possible to connect an xbox controller to a compatible tablet and stream to that. Use your imagination!