2013 15" MBP GT750M + GTX 980 + Sonnet III-D Won't Boot

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

I have this problem as well!

I connect all cables and turn on the eGPU, then the Macbook 5 seconds after. Sometimes it boots on the first try, but mostly it requires a few attempts.

It doesn't bother me that much, cause once it is up and running it is completely stable! However, it would be nice with some sort of solution.

My setup is as follows:

AKiTiO Box

Powered Riser

Corsair 550W PSU

Asus Strix nVidia GTX970

rMBP with dGPU (750M)

Hey Guys, I have read this thread through twice, is the gist of it that with 980 connected the rMBP won't boot at all to any OS?

I mean from something like this:

"I have this problem as well!

I connect all cables and turn on the eGPU, then the Macbook5 seconds after. Sometimes it boots on the first try, but mostly it requires a few attempts.

It doesn't bother me that much, cause once it is up and running it is completely stable! However, it would be nice with some sort of solution."

It is unclear which OS is the problem or if you are saying that NEITHER OS will boot, but sometimes Windows will etc.

Hey Guys, I have read this thread through twice, is the gist of it that with 980 connected the rMBP won't boot at all to any OS?

I mean from something like this:

"I have this problem as well!

I connect all cables and turn on the eGPU, then the Macbook5 seconds after. Sometimes it boots on the first try, but mostly it requires a few attempts.

It doesn't bother me that much, cause once it is up and running it is completely stable! However, it would be nice with some sort of solution."

It is unclear which OS is the problem or if you are saying that NEITHER OS will boot, but sometimes Windows will etc.

If you've really read the thread twice, how is that you don't get that it doesn't boot? As mentioned multiple times in the thread, once you hit the power button, nothing happens! So it doesn't matter what OS you use, what OS you have installed or anything related to the OS. The screen stays black and there is no POST and you never reach anything OS related. And that is the problem... Don't call out people or information if you don't know whats going on!

So I don't have a Macbook but I have a simliar issue with my thunderbolt connected 970. My setup worked great with a 780ti until I tried a 970. I noticed doing a clean install of the nvidia drivers helped and I can use my eGPU for a couple minutes before the driver seems to reset. (this can be see by the Geforce GTX light getting brighter". I can't seem to figure this one out either! My card works great as a secondary card to my GTX 660m.. but I want optimus lol I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.

Thank you for your input. I've also been looking forward to getting a reply from someone with an Akitio chassis as well, to see whether it's limited to Sonnet enclosures.

This further confirms that the problem lies with the 750M dGPU in the 15" MacBook Pros. I'm eagerly waiting for an EFI update from Apple, otherwise, let's see what NVIDIA GM200 GPUs offer, otherwise, it looks like the III-D is just an expensive paperweight.

My latest setup is giving me these exact issues. It's a 2014 MBPr 750M with 2 Akitios, 1 with a TITAN and 1 with a TITAN Black via daisy chain. I can run one of these cards on it's own with no problem, but I'm hoping to run both of them. I am getting boot about 60% of the time, and black screen the rest. Maybe this info will help with problem solving, who knows.

1x TITAN = boots every time

1x TITAN + 1x TITAN Black = same black screen boot issues reported elsewhere in this thread

Thank you for your input. The TITAN and TITAN Black are both from an older architecture (Kepler, I believe), which the 780 and 780Ti falls into. Both these cards should have no problem running on their own, especially with a Sonnet III-D. Since you have three graphics cards, I don't think you can run them on SLI at all.

The problems we're experiencing at the moment is related to the new Maxwell architecture, which for some odd reason, wouldn't work with the exact same laptop and exact same PCIe chassis.

Thank you for your input. The TITAN and TITAN Black are both from an older architecture (Kepler, I believe), which the 780 and 780Ti falls into. Both these cards should have no problem running on their own, especially with a Sonnet III-D. Since you have three graphics cards, I don't think you can run them on SLI at all.

The problems we're experiencing at the moment is related to the new Maxwell architecture, which for some odd reason, wouldn't work with the exact same laptop and exact same PCIe chassis.

I realize this, just thought it might somehow add some insight. I realize it may be completely unrelated problems but the symptoms are pretty much exactly the same so this info may help someone findan answer. Who knows.

I'm not running them on SLI. I'm running them for Octane Render software. No need for SLI.

• 4 months later...

Goalque hinted me towards this thread. I think I can add some of my experiences. I went for a 2014 15-inch-MBPr (GT 750m)+Sonnett EE SE II + KFA2 Geforce GTX 750 Ti. [i also experienced that the setup only works when I deactivate FileVault.]

Using goalques script (http://forum.techinferno.com/mac-os-x-discussion/10289-script-enabling-nvidia-egpu-screen-output-os-x.html) I am now able to boot to OS X 10.10.3 following this procedure:

1) Power on the eGPU (unplugged TB!)

2) Turn on the Macbook, wait until the chime + Apple Logo

3) Plug in.

For my setup this works 100% reliably and stable. I can access my external screen through the 750Ti while the Iris Pro/GT750m power the internal screen. Systemprofiler shows the card properly and the LuxMark confirms a 300% boost of the 750Ti alone compared to the 750m only. (UnrealeEngine Benchmark also shows huge improvements. I can't wait to play a little game on that... (-; )

This is the happy part. What makes me unhappy is, that I can't make it work under Windows (tried both Bootcamp and UEFI). If I plugin during boot up, it does not continue, if I plug when the Windows dots appear, it's too late and the card won't be detected.

post-36503-14495000361391_thumb.jpg

post-36503-14495000360807_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Goalque hinted me towards this thread. I think I can add some of my experiences. I went for a 2014 15-inch-MBPr (GT 750m)+Sonnett EE SE II + KFA2 Geforce GTX 750 Ti. [i also experienced that the setup only works when I deactivate FileVault.]

Using goalques script (http://forum.techinferno.com/mac-os-x-discussion/10289-script-enabling-nvidia-egpu-screen-output-os-x.html) I am now able to boot to OS X 10.10.3 following this procedure:

1) Power on the eGPU (unplugged TB!)

2) Turn on the Macbook, wait until the chime + Apple Logo

3) Plug in.

For my setup this works 100% reliably and stable. I can access my external screen through the 750Ti while the Iris Pro/GT750m power the internal screen. Systemprofiler shows the card properly and the LuxMark confirms a 300% boost of the 750Ti alone compared to the 750m only. (UnrealeEngine Benchmark also shows huge improvements. I can't wait to play a little game on that... (-; )

This is the happy part. What makes me unhappy is, that I can't make it work under Windows (tried both Bootcamp and UEFI). If I plugin during boot up, it does not continue, if I plug when the Windows dots appear, it's too late and the card won't be detected.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15272[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15273[/ATTACH]

Thank you! I just tried doing exactly as you described but with my Titan X and Sonnet III-D.

Mother of God, it worked!!! For the first time ever I was able to run a MAXWELL GPU on a multiple-slot TB2 enclosure!! It also had the acceleration as well!!

Now that getting it to work in the first place is out of the way, I'm wondering if doing this solves the kernel panic midway through boot problem that I had with 10.10.3.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you! I just tried doing exactly as you described but with my Titan X and Sonnet III-D.

Mother of God, it worked!!! For the first time ever I was able to run a MAXWELL GPU on a multiple-slot TB2 enclosure!! It also had the acceleration as well!!

Now that getting it to work in the first place is out of the way, I'm wondering if doing this solves the kernel panic midway through boot problem that I had with 10.10.3.

I am really happy that it worked out for you as well. :-)

Were you able to get it work under Windows? Because I still haven't figured out that one :/

• 1 month later...

Same situation here. My configuration is a rMBP 15" Late 2013 with GT 750M + AKiTiO + GTX 970, and I can't boot when I plug the AKiTiO before powering the Mac on.

What works :

- power on the AKiTiO 1 second after the Mac chime which corresponds to Simurgh5 procedure (works on OS X or Windows)

- power on Mac OS X with goalques scripts installed, power on the AKiTiO, retart (on OS X or Windows). If on my configuration, the mac boot, but the eGPU is not detected, the same procedure with the same rMBP of a friend works great. Perhaps it's because I'm EFI and he is MBR, or perhaps because I've played to much with my OS X, Windows and EFI partitions that something is broken.

- power on Mac OS X with goalques scripts installed, power on the AKiTiO, retart (on OS X or Windows). If on my configuration, the mac boot, but the eGPU is not detected, the same procedure with the same rMBP of a friend works great. Perhaps it's because I'm EFI and he is MBR, or perhaps because I've played to much with my OS X, Windows and EFI partitions that something is broken.

- Reinstall OSX

- Reset NVRAM

- Try -a mode

automate-eGPU v0.9.5 will be available very soon, maybe today or tomorrow. Requires OSX reinstall for backup mechanism.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes, it seems that automate-eGPU 0.9.5 -a mode works, but I can't find a procedure which works each time.

I have a thunderbolt ethernet adapter and often neither the ethernet or the AKiTiO are detected. I have to reboot multiple times again on the Mac where I hot plug the box before booting on Windows and cross my fingers. Perhaps it's an EFI Windows 10 issue.

Sometimes, it seems that automate-eGPU 0.9.5 -a mode works, but I can't find a procedure which works each time.

I have a thunderbolt ethernet adapter and often neither the ethernet or the AKiTiO are detected. I have to reboot multiple times again on the Mac where I hot plug the box before booting on Windows and cross my fingers. Perhaps it's an EFI Windows 10 issue.

Please use the v0.9.6. The [-a] mode actually changes the behaviour of Intel's Thunderbolt controller, have an effect on booting into Windows as well. There might be still an issue if internal screen is accelerated by dGPU when rebooting.

I tried this week-end, but it's worse. I can't make the thunderbolt recognised at all after a OS X boot, even after multiple try.

What do you mean by the dGPU being used at rebooting ? How can I manage it ?

You have done something differently, since a couple of 750M model owners have stated that booting into OS X works very well with v0.9.6, using either AKiTiO or a multi-slot enclosure.

Check that you have enabled automatic graphics switching:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202043

If [-a] mode still has no effect, try gfxCardStatus and set mode to “integrated only”, then reboot. Since the new Nvidia web driver has beta support for 750M, it probably interferes with the Nvidia eGPU.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I think I have now a working Windows configuration (I don't use the eGPU in Mac). It's a little bit strange, but as it works I don't want to break something so I'll let my Mac like that. Here is what I've done, in this order :

- installed gfxCardStatus 2.3

- 10.11 GM

- removed nvidia drivers with the nvidia uninstall option

- did a automate-egpu -uninstall

gfxCardStatus is still activated.

The Mac boots successfully half the time on windows after a OS X boot with the AKiTiO plugged in, and every times it boots, I have the Thunderbolt detected.

Despite the uninstallation of automate-egpu, I still have /Library/LaunchDaemons/automate-eGPU-daemon.plist file and the /usr/local/bin/automate-eGPU.sh script. Perhaps it is still useful in something... or not...

For information, here is my nvram related variables.

BootCampProcessorPstates    %09%00
boot-args kext-dev-mode=1
gpu-policy %01
efi-boot-device <array><dict><key>IOMatch</key><dict><key>IOProviderClass</key><string>IOMedia</string><key>IOPropertyMatch</key><dict><key>UUID</key><string>5476EDD3-E0B6-47F8-9B70-FBB4C725AFFA</string></dict></dict><key>BLLastBSDName</key><string>disk0s2</string></dict></array>%00
efi-boot-device-data %02%01%0c%00%d0A%03%0a%00%00%00%00%01%01%06%00%04%1c%01%01%06%00%00%00%03%12%0a%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%04%01*%00%02%00%00%00(@%06%00%00%00%00%00%d0%ed%90.%00%00%00%00%d3%edvT%b6%e0%f8G%9bp%fb%b4%c7%25%af%fa%02%02%7f%ff%04%00