OFFICIAL: M17x-R2 Benchmarking Thread

• Founder

And.... we have a WINNER!!!

3DMark11: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/811409;jsessionid=3E606EF1632564090EF97DFC84452AC0?show_ads=true&page=%2F3dm11%2F811409%3Fkey%3DnDVuMWCkTxpk2TeJca7dpz4fkvYQKZ

P6054

post-3-14494987596543_thumb.jpg

(keep in mind I had higher ambient temperature, lower clocks on my GPU than my last run and lower settings on ThrottleStop, ATI drivers 11.4 beta)

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow so 11.4 is that much better? 11.2 was a great jump in pts. As soon as I get a dell tech out to replace my bricked card, and replace my mobo, I'm going to have to give them a go. Are you using any sort of external cooling? I havn't been just because I havnt really had access or the desire. Nice score. M17x R3 take that!! :P Also is there a way to post a larger pic or higher res?? I can't make out the fine details.

• Founder
Wow so 11.4 is that much better? 11.2 was a great jump in pts. As soon as I get a dell tech out to replace my bricked card, and replace my mobo, I'm going to have to give them a go. Are you using any sort of external cooling? I havn't been just because I havnt really had access or the desire. Nice score. M17x R3 take that!! :P Also is there a way to post a larger pic or higher res?? I can't make out the fine details.

Yeah I noticed you can't see anything...

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Those drivers gave a 258 points boost

And.... we have a WINNER!!!

3DMark11: Result

P6054

[ATTACH=CONFIG]308[/ATTACH]

(keep in mind I had higher ambient temperature, lower clocks on my GPU than my last run and lower settings on ThrottleStop, ATI drivers 11.4 beta)

Nice job you and Brian were planing to beat 6K. Congrats! I noticed my 4th core almost never in any situation gets higher than that. When i can afford thermal pads and shin etsu i will finely adjust the tension on the cpu die.

Edited by mw86

Here are some Vantage benchmarks that could be of interest:

M17x R2 with i7 920XM (Turbo boost to 3ghz) paired with a single Radeon 6970M using 11.4 Beta drivers:

Result

Same setup with the card overclocked to desktop 6850 speeds (775mhz Core, 1000mhz memory):

Result

I think these 11.4 drivers could make this card as fast or a bit faster than the GTX 485M based on the other games I've tested with them as well.

Also, I ordered a new set of thermal paste and pads. When that arrives, gonna try Vantage @ 850 core / 1100 mem then 3dmark 11 with the same settings.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder

So here how the scores go on 3DMark Vantage

ATI drivers 11.4 beta, CPU @ 3.579 GHz for all 3 runs so it won't affect the GPU scores

Single 5870 stock clocks: 9909

vantagesingle9909.th.png

CFX 5870 stock clocks: 17106

vantagecfx17106.th.png

CFX 5870 @ 950/1220: 20437 (First Alienware M17x -R2 to hit 20K+ on vantage only here on Tech|Inferno)

vantagecfx20437.th.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Why don't you have two GPUs DR650?

I got a good idea to flash one with a 5850 vbios for benching purposes. Then I force flashed it back to 5870. All was well. Then I decided to take the 5870 vbios, and go in through the hex editor, change the device id to that of the 5850 (to A1 68) from (A0 68), and it bricked my card. So dell should be out when I find some time to swap out the motherboard and the GPUs. :P Got a packed week so I'm not sure when I can swing it.

StamatisX, Those clocks are impressive. When I was in Iraq I was able to pull them off. Now back here, I can't seem to be able to. I am constantly hitting the PSU limit.

Edited by DR650SE

DR650SE sorry to hear about your card being bricked. Good question DR650SE how does StamatisX keep under that PSU limit? Cover those up StamatisX, those golden cards are blinding everyone here. Anyone here get a CPU score for Windows 7 WEI to 7.9, 7.8 or 7.7 with one of these babys? I've got mine to 7.6 and I've seen a 980X gets 7.8 unless its overclocked well into 4Ghz range then it gets a 7.9 rating. weiat99tdp94tdcwithnocorestates.jpg

StamatisX, are you able to run wPrime 1024 on your system at a full 25X? Lately I've been running it and at stock voltage I get a BSOD. All it says is system malfunction, system halted, contact hardware vendor. If I run at a higher voltage I'm generating too much heat. I can run it at a lower TDP, but not high enough to run 25X on all four cores, at 140MHz FSB. Wondering if maybe I killed my 940XM benching today. :(

I don't think you killed your cpu, these things are real beasts..if anything, I think you might have fried something in your motherboard like I did two weeks ago when setting TDP/TDC to 120W/110A and two voltage stepping of 150mV, also with 5% factory o'c and 27x multipliers..it was generating too much heat and it's really not practical for benching purposes so basically i fried it for nothing..

anyways, it was replaced and all is good now, and regarding your cpu, i think you should just decrease the bus speed to maybe 136MHz

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, I seriously hope that is the case because I have an OEM 920XM, and a 940XM doing the same thing. I was able to put up these numbers today. My mother board is being replaced soon, so I hope that solves it. Was yours giving you the same error as mine? I really hope it's the motherboad that went and not the chips. After frying it how was yours acting ahmadmud?

i7 940XM (ES) @ 4359.06MHz

435906.th.jpg

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

i7 940XM (ES) wPrime32 6.457 sec

6457.th.jpg

I had CPU-Z @ 4378.??MHz, but missed validating it and the FSB speed dropped so I caught it at the next best thing :P

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
I got a good idea to flash one with a 5850 vbios for benching purposes. Then I force flashed it back to 5870. All was well. Then I decided to take the 5870 vbios, and go in through the hex editor, change the device id to that of the 5850 (to A1 68) from (A0 68), and it bricked my card. So dell should be out when I find some time to swap out the motherboard and the GPUs. :P Got a packed week so I'm not sure when I can swing it.

StamatisX, Those clocks are impressive. When I was in Iraq I was able to pull them off. Now back here, I can't seem to be able to. I am constantly hitting the PSU limit.

DR650SE sorry to hear about your card being bricked. Good question DR650SE how does StamatisX keep under that PSU limit? Cover those up StamatisX, those golden cards are blinding everyone here. Anyone here get a CPU score for Windows 7 WEI to 7.9, 7.8 or 7.7 with one of these babys? I've got mine to 7.6 and I've seen a 980X gets 7.8 unless its overclocked well into 4Ghz range then it gets a 7.9 rating. weiat99tdp94tdcwithnocorestates.jpg

I try to find my stable GPU clocks without CPU overclocking and after I am sure I can finish a benchmark run with those clocks then I start messing with the CPU, I try to see how much I can increase the TDP/TDC to keep the total wattage consumption within acceptable limits for the PSU

StamatisX, are you able to run wPrime 1024 on your system at a full 25X? Lately I've been running it and at stock voltage I get a BSOD. All it says is system malfunction, system halted, contact hardware vendor. If I run at a higher voltage I'm generating too much heat. I can run it at a lower TDP, but not high enough to run 25X on all four cores, at 140MHz FSB. Wondering if maybe I killed my 940XM benching today. :(

wprime v1.55 1024M stresses my CPU too much so I cannot maintain the x25 multiplier, nonetheless I can keep it cold enough in order to finish it in 229 seconds

I have 3% OC from the BIOS but not voltage increase.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Hmm, I seriously hope that is the case because I have an OEM 920XM, and a 940XM doing the same thing. I was able to put up these numbers today. My mother board is being replaced soon, so I hope that solves it. Was yours giving you the same error as mine? I really hope it's the motherboad that went and not the chips. After frying it how was yours acting ahmadmud?

i7 940XM (ES) @ 4359.06MHz

435906.th.jpg

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

i7 940XM (ES) wPrime32 6.457 sec

6457.th.jpg

I had CPU-Z @ 4378.??MHz, but missed validating it and the FSB speed dropped so I caught it at the next best thing :P

Those validations are really impressive!! seems like I will have a really hard time beating those and I don't expect to do it anytime soon...

But don't worry, if anything was fried on your mobo or cpu you wouldn't be able to boot or you would BSOD even when doing nothing even at stock clocks.

In general, since we have a very specific Watt range that we can play with, you need to make sure you won't exceed that, and then try to find what settings allow you to remain within those limits and don't exceed your Tj of your CPU or GPU. After you solve the power supply limitations, cooling should be your main concern.

Thanks, I worked on them for quite a bit today. I had CPU-Z to 4.378MHz, but didn't get it in time.

Ok, because I've run similiar times with the 920XM ES I have and 940XM ES, but I'm wondering if I damaged something. I know my OEM 920XM doesn't overclock well. I'l be getting two new GPU's and a motherboard soon, so I hope that solves the issues. I've run some 130W+ wPrime runs, so I think the mobo may have had enough. Hoping thats it. I'm going to have to get a wall/wattage meter soon too. I'll do it once I get in my new apartment.

So the CPU won't degrade? I thought I may have degraded it as they don't seem as strong anymore. Still hoping the mobo is just slightly damaged. :P

• Founder

They degrade but not that fast... probably with a retention mod and a new reapplication of the thermal paste you will be good. I have noticed that my cpu retention mod needs calibration every week or something cause I am pretty sure the screws get loose (I only use 2).

Ok, I tried repasting, and for the retention mod, I just adjust the screws, all of them so the heatsink is flush. No real changes to the actual heatsink, just adjustments on the pressure for the screws. Havn't had to readjust it unless I swap the CPU, which i've done a few times.

DR, if you fried anything in your motherboard, you would know instantly because your lappy would be completely dead..no lights, LED or any kind of booting..

I was just saying that the hardware malfunction bsod you were getting is just similar to the 124, which means u don't have enough juice for your current clocks..

and regarding degradation of the cpus.. I don't think we have to worry about this for the next five years at least...

Hmm. Just think its odd since Im sure my cpus didn't do that at stock settings. Maybe when i benched I used less wattage but I don't think that's it. Well ill try it with both my 920xm when i get a new mobo. May be a while since Dell called and said parts are on back order. :(