OFFICIAL: M17x-R2 Benchmarking Thread

Try out 930/1250 on the GPU, I think that should pick up those extra pts you need. Maybe even 925MHz on the core, but you should be able to pull off 1250 on the mem.

Also what is your cpu voltage? I found that 3DMark11 doesn't hit the cpu as hard as vantage, so if you can put the voltage to have+75mV that should help stability and raise temps just a little. Not sure what your temp headroom is. Then drop your setfsb to about 146 mhz and up your multiplier by one and increase tour TDP to about 115w and TDP to 85. the cpu will likely not draw more then 103w but 115w should government you some leeway. See if that combo works and let me know what your temps are. May even be able to go higher if temps allow +150mv.

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 1

Im not sure i'll be able to get 925, or 930. I am on stock paste and have tried quite few times now it doesn't like the last test at 925+ I did try 1240 and it didn't seem to like that either but I didn't have the manual fan control going at the time... I'll give it another try today though.

Ok, is it freezing or dropping the psu? Disable things in the bios not needed for the tests, like sound, wired adaptor, dimmed screen ect to dedicate all power to gpu's and cpus. If the gpu's won't go higher, work on the cpu. That can help up the physics score and combined that score. Also if 925 won't work, try a jump to 940 or 950. maybe you need to just get past that wall.

Typing on my phone at church :P sorry for any spelling

Try 930/1200. maybe its the mem.

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 1

Look whats on its way... Shoud be in in a week. Koolance V2 Pot. Designed for LN2, but from what I read it's much better for Dice, since it respons so quick, and to heavy a pour can coldbug the CPU. Should be fun, if not for the M17x, then a lot of other old cheap hardware :P

cpuln2v2p0.th.jpg

cpuln2v2p1.th.jpg

cpuln2v2p2.th.jpg

cpuln2v2p3.th.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Nice, how much did that set you back? Should get some really interesting results with the voltage raised all the way up along with fsb/mult/tdp increase. Just hope your motherboard circuitry can withstand all that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The pot was about $170, and 183 shipped, so it definately wasn't cheap. On my other runs I had the 150mV, but I'm hoping this will give me a little more headroom, to OC, since the temps will remain lower as a whole. If only I had more voltage. But I'm also going to get a cheap mobo and some CPUs to play with as I learn more about sub zero cooling. Doesn't have to be XM CPUs, I just enjoy pushing hardware, even the low end stuff, and I figure the low end stuff will keep the hobby cheaper.

Koolance V2 Pot

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 1

3dmark2011 6018 result 925 core 1270 memory 1.15v 125tdp 95tdc 148.3 bclk 3.56 quad

3dmark20116018result925core1270memory115v125tdp95tdc1483bclk356quad.jpghttp://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/Benchmark/3dmark20116018result925core1270memory115v125tdp95tdc1483bclk356quad.jpg

Result

3dmark2011 6038 result 925 core 1270 memory 1.15v 75mv 130tdp 95tdc 149.7 bclk 3.74 quad

3dmark20116038result925core1270memory115v75mv130tdp95tdc1497bclk374quad.jpghttp://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/Benchmark/3dmark20116038result925core1270memory115v75mv130tdp95tdc1497bclk374quad.jpg

Result

3dmark2011 5999 result 925 core 1270 memory 1.15v 150mv 125tdp 95tdc 148.3 bclk 3.86 quad

150mv3dmark20115999result925core1270memory115v150mv125tdp95tdc1483bclk386quad.jpghttp://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/Benchmark/150mv3dmark20115999result925core1270memory115v150mv125tdp95tdc1483bclk386quad.jpg

Result

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nice! Finally broke 6K, congrats! Thats awesome. Try lowering your TDP to about 105W and see if that prevents you from hitting the thermal limits. From my benching it didn't look like the CPU drew more than 101W according to HWinfo32.

StamatisX, Have you tried raising the BCLK with your voltage increased? Thats when the extra voltage really helps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stam how bout the +75mv increase it seems to be a very good happy medium allowing for 3.7+ what if you try the same multi and the 75mv with the same baseclock i used, I think your cooling is way better even without fancy external cooling. Were you using Fan control when you Benched 3DMark2011 initially? Thanks guys. I'll try a run at 150Mv and slowly lower my tdp, ill use argus monitor to see what the cpu has been doing during the run and see if the tdp can be adjusted close to my thermal limit I was reaching on that one core.

Edited by mw86

The added voltage at lower tdp still had the same result due to the heat. I'm happy at 6038 3DMarks2011. I took off tape from gpu heat fins, removed non invasive gpu retention clip mod that used cardboard washers cut into c-clips. I Set laptop flat on table with no laptop cooler, reset Dell's factory set TDP of 62, i did not utilize throttle stop or Hwinfo controlling fan speed. The clocks are all stock, the multipliers are all stock, and the bios options are all stock. Here's a 3DMark2011 run to compare overclocked and stock speeds. 3dmark201146173dmarksstocksystem.jpghttp://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/Benchmark/3dmark201146173dmarksstocksystem.jpg

3dmark 2011 4617 3dmarks Stock clocks

Result

• Thumbs Up 3

That's a nice stock run there. I'm back on a 720qm processor so my R2 benchmarking days are done. :(

Brian you make history as it happens. Did you not pioneer the use of SetFSB on the R2. Those days may be done but they are right there as symbols of where you came from. Look up to that glow over head, it's an incoming Dark Avenger with a whole new story to unfold.

Cooling on Dry Ice. I tried out a makeshift DICE pot, but the cooling wasn't as efficient as this method, and since dry ice doesn't turn to a liquid, I had no issues, other then burns to the fingers. :P I'd still like to get an effective dice pot, that would make things much easier.

dscn1552copy.th.jpg

You've got some nice scores! Congrats!!

Got a question about your dry ice cooling... doesn't this result in water (air moisture) condensing on the cooled parts?

You've got some nice scores! Congrats!!

Got a question about your dry ice cooling... doesn't this result in water (air moisture) condensing on the cooled parts?

-posted by DR650SE posts 126 on this thread

{Dry ice sublimates (turns to gas and expands if not kept at a temp lower than -109F. If you put it in a sealed aluminum container, you better stand back, as it will explode. It's frozen CO2 which is why it skips the liquid phase and turns to gas, which is why if felt comfortable putting it straight on the CPU and GPU heatsinks. Most people when benching put it in a copper pot which sits on the CPU die/GPU die/mem. Then they fill it wil isopropol alcohol and put the dice in it so that it spreads the cold and sucks the heat out of the CPU. I tried to make a cheap makeshift dice pot out of a copper pipe cap and pipe, but it didn't work as well, and I'm guessing because it wasn't perfectly smooth to mate with the cpu die. So I resorted to putting it on the heatsink to cool the heatsink and thus the CPU.}

if you look at his pic closely the only vapor is hovering around the dry ice and none if any frost has showed on his exposed metal heat sinks as one might think should happen. But i am sure that he has that rag around the area for the reason of prevention in case there is some condensation.

• Thumbs Up 1

if you look at his pic closely the only vapor is hovering around the dry ice and none if any frost has showed on his exposed metal heat sinks as one might think should happen. But i am sure that he has that rag around the area for the reason of prevention in case there is some condensation.

Yea, didn't have any issues, but actually the rag was to hold the dry ice in place. It tended to slide since I didn't have it at a perfecly flat angle, but i definately helped cool the componets. Tommorrow I may try with my dice pot and see how that works out. Don't xpect too bug a diff, since I think voltage is my limit now. But we'll see. If I can make time

Ok, thanks, I might try it on the M15x sometime... but it's a bit annoying that the heatsink must be cold from the bottom of the system, this makes running it a bit more complicated.

NBR Copy and paste ;)

dscn1561.th.jpg = 192fg.th.jpg

i7 920XM (ES)

wPrime 32M @ 4.002MHz: 6.275 sec

wPrime 1024M @ 4002.3 MHz: 192.72 sec

For some reason two cores remained at low temps, and the other two went as high as 44*C. Maybe I'll mess with it later. Cant get the mobile chips as cold as desktop chips because the cold bug real easy. At Idle, throttle stop would read as low as -20*C, though I'm sure the chips temps were even lower. Maybe the pot wasn't sitting quite right. But it's made for a desktop mobo, so I couldn't bolt it down.

I think thats the end of the line for that chip unless I can get some more voltage :D

@MW, Sorry to hear your sistem is KIA, At least your getting the 18x, I may upgrade, depends on what the costs are and what I can get for my 17x. Doubtful though lol, though I'd love to bench the 18x, only if it's as OC friendly as the 17x R2.

• Thumbs Up 5