OFFICIAL: M17x-R2 Benchmarking Thread

You'll want to check the M18x bench thread again tonight. Something in the line of 10k 3dmark11 cpu score 30k vantage cpu score 171seconds 8thread wprime 1024m. :Banane33: and a pic of throttle stop showing 8threads 100% load at 4.7Ghz! No AC, my same notebook cooler (Zalmon NC-3000) Fans at max with HWinfo oh and no dice!

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the best I could do, with limited time.

M17x R2 / i7 940XM / ATI 6990M X-Fire

3DMark11

Overall: P7939

7939l.th.jpg

Vantage

Overall: P25399

GPU: 27002

CPU: 21559

25399x2.th.jpg

Single 6990M Vantage:

P17041

17041.th.jpg

Side note: Heres a nice bench. i5 540M @ 4117MHz 1.4v :D wPrime

411322d.th.jpg

32M: 13.083 sec

1024M; 411.322 sec

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 3

nice runs those are great scores Dr650Se I know if you can get your physics score in 3dmark 2011 to 8k like I did with my 920xm it will no doubt get you to 8K overall... which is awesome and barely under my M18x with 6970m's. Jimbo got some high scores out of his 6990M's.

You should be able to get 880core if cool enough without the voltmod...in vantage and maybe 855 850 in 3dmark 11. My 8k 3dmark run is posted you could try my clocks on the cpu it was at 75mv... try keeping your psu extra cool I did and it helped the tiniest bit survive the power shutoff

Nice work on that 540m kick a$$ with that 4.1ghz run!

We need an official T|I MOD and guide for making dual parallel power-supplies.

Edited by mw86

• Founder

@DR650SE

wow R2 is still in the game with those beasty 6990Ms, at this point CPU is the bottleneck of the system

whenever you can upload your scores to the forms so I can update the ranking, you are obviously first :D

@mw86

hopefully I will do that mod, the question is when...

• Thumbs Up 1

@DR650SE

wow R2 is still in the game with those beasty 6990Ms, at this point CPU is the bottleneck of the system

whenever you can upload your scores to the forms so I can update the ranking, you are obviously first :D

@mw86

hopefully I will do that mod, the question is when...

I'd gladly join and post pics and info on the m18x power-supply... there's already a guide on the R2.. I can adapt from there and buy equivalent handle parts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice score!! Am I right when I assume that you only use one PSU? This will be a limiting factor when it comes to overclock these cards in an r2. Very nice run. Did you use some auxiliary cooling?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
Hi,

My oc'd score: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Old dell's drivers, expected more. Stock score 385x, on 12.1 preview 4164. Is it a good score?

Alienware M17x R2 - 740QM / 6 GB DDR3-1333 / 500 GB HDD / 5870 CF / 17" WXGA+ / Win7 x64 Home Basic

that's a good range for stock clocks I had an R2 got mid 4k stock with an 920xm so sounds good. Nice overclock by the way. most I got my vram to was 1235mhz and 920 or something core its in bench score table for 3dmark11. Your CPU is holding back your awesome overclock. Have you tried baseclock overclocks? Could boost some more. Your pushing those gpus nice could be the dell drivers like you said too. If there wasn't anything running in the background... I'd try the latest AMD.

Edited by mw86

• 2 weeks later...

OK first of all I'd like to say hi :) as its my first time posting on here. im fairly new to overclocking in the sense that i have results but i have no idea how good it is or not when compared with other peoples. ok im running an M17x-R2 with an core i7 820qm processor and DUAL HD4870S IN CROSSFIRE. now ive devoted most of this weekend to squeeze every last ounce of power from my pc. I was trying to break P13K score on 3dMark Vantage and i wouldnt rest until i had done so. THE GOOD NEWS IS. I DID!!! i have know idea whether a score of P13222 is good for dual 4870s in crossfire but as far as im aware its pretty good so im fairly happy lol. i used SetFSB to overclock the 820QM processor to 1.90 GHz. and had both my 4870s overclocked to a core speed of 662 MHz and a memory speed of 1075 Mhz. for cooling i only used the fans on the laptop itself running at the highest rpm possible (forces using HWiNFO 64) so i wont try overclocking anymore cos my cards hit 91 degrees and the prcessor core 1 hit 92 aswell.

but anyway the final result i got to with 3dMark Vantage was P13222 (for dual 4870s i believe that is very good)

post-2695-14494992371302_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, welcome to T|I!

Nice to see someone pushing his system, you got really a good score, almost 14k GPU score. Did you change the voltage of the GPUs? (TriXX seems to be at the limit with the voltage... if you were at 1.15, what is the stock voltage?).

The latest driver might boost your performance a bit... worth a try if you wanna improve your score.

If your CPU was at 92°C it won't really give you Turbo Boost anymore, so if you can keep it cooler it should result in a higher clock speed.

• Founder

Welcome to T|I @kieran2112 and grats for your score! Have you considered repasting your GPUs with some good quality thermal paste and performing the retention mod for some greater down-force of your heatsinks so you can squeeze some extra juice out of your cards?

a few questions about that

1) is there anything you think i could do to push it any further

2) is it possible using any program to overvolt the card past 1.15v (and the stock voltage is 1.05)

3) is it possible to change the turbo boost cap on the cpu so for example when its running in turbo mode it goes to 3.2GHz instead of 3GHz

and 4) also is there any way of auxillary cpu cooling tht u could recommend because thts the thing thats limiting me at the moment.

Added after 3 minutes:

could you post a link to the retention mod pls cos i have heard of it but i have no idea what it is or how to do it lol.

like i say i think one of the main limitations im facing here is that well im running the A10 V1F modded bios tht unlocks cpu overclocking + i can use setfsb a bit more so i could probably overclock my cpu wayy more but the main limitation is it will overheat if i take it above around 1.92GHz so is there any auxillary cooling that you guys could recommend so i could take it a bit further

and also. how do you set a signature so you can put your system specs at the bottom of your forum posts. (sorry im a bit of a noob to forums)

Edited by kieran2112

• Founder

The retention mod can be found here: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/13-m17x-r2-cooling-mod-ashtefere.html

Extra info on cooling here: Alienware M17x Teardown & Cooling Modification | Tech|Inferno

Another GPU repasting example with ICD 24 here: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/913-ic-diamond-24-survey-results.html

1)Repasting and the retention mod will allow you to further overclock. An aircondition unit hitting cold air on the GPUs will help when overclocked during benchmarking but you will need some dry ice or liquid nitrogen to reach extreme levels.

2)You can't go past 1.15V with any software

3)You can't, for that you will need an extreme CPU like 920XM/940XM

4)All that apply for the GPU apply for the CPU as well, for extreme levels though you will have to resolve to extreme solutions.

For the signature you will have to exceed I think 10 posts or something before you can use one.

• Thumbs Up 1