980M seems to be compatible with EM series

zhubonan

yep, could also be that ur gpu model was missing in the .inf :)

Ah yes, it would seem that it my haste to get this done I copied over the mod files while they were still zipped. Anyway, I got the driver installed. Device manager now shows 980m.

So how do I get it to start working? I disabled intel graphics but the 980 didn't take over. Device manager claims it's working properly.......

Ah yes, it would seem that it my haste to get this done I copied over the mod files while they were still zipped. Anyway, I got the driver installed. Device manager now shows 980m.

So how do I get it to start working? I disabled intel graphics but the 980 didn't take over. Device manager claims it's working properly.......

You shouldn't have to disable anything, the NVidia Optimus program should switch from your Intel VGA to the GTX980M as required.

Which driver did you use?

A couple of screen shots might help as well. eg

post-32196-144949995871_thumb.jpg

Cheers NightFX

post-32196-14494999586893_thumb.gif

Which driver did you use?

A couple of screen shots might help as well

I went with the 345.20 driver with the modded files:

Mr. Fox's GeForce 345.20 Desktop Driver Mod for Alienware and Clevo Mobile GPUs | NotebookReview

Here you go:

3lfEDGf.png

I went into Nvidia control panel and set it to enable if I started Steam just as a test. Nothing happened, just stayed on integrated intel....

I went with the 345.20 driver with the modded files:

Mr. Fox's GeForce 345.20 Desktop Driver Mod for Alienware and Clevo Mobile GPUs | NotebookReview

Here you go

I went into Nvidia control panel and set it to enable if I started Steam just as a test. Nothing happened, just stayed on integrated intel....

I think you might be having the same problem that I first had. Where several drivers installed OK, showed the GTX980M in the Device Manager, but Optimus was not switching from the Intel VGA to the 980M, regardless of the "Manage 3D Settings" in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

If you like, you could try this;

1. Fully uninstall existing NVidia drivers
  2. download and install this 347.12 diver and modified INF from v347.12 Windows 8 64bit | NVIDIA Desktop/Mobile OEM - GeForce r346 series - LaptopVideo2Go Forums (This diver seems to be very happy to work well with anything)
  3. From what I understand, using any 347 driver and Prema's vBIOS you will get a 10% drop in performance, and this seems correct from when I tried those two together, but at least you will discover if its a Optimus/driver problem, and not some other issue.
  4. If this dose solve the problem you can either flash the STOCK vBIOS back and install the another 347 driver like the 347.52 and mod INF (which is what I did to get back the 100% performance on stock clocks).
  5. Or, keep the modified vBIOS and keep trying other divers that get Optimus to work on your configuration.

Hope this helps,

Cheers NightFX

From what I understand, using any 347 driver and Prema's vBIOS you will get a 10% drop in performance...

Nope, if you do not use the mod, then you can only use 347 driver or you get a 20% performance drop.

Nope, if you do not use the mod, then you can only use 347 driver or you get a 20% performance drop.

Thanks Prema,

My head hurts just thinking about this. Lets see if I can get this correct.

Stock vBios + 347 driver = 100% performance (but not able to OC).

Stock vBios + non 347 driver = Drop in performance 20%

Prema vBios + other driver, (pre 347 driver) = 100% performance and able to OC.

Prema vBios + 347 driver = 100% performance (but not able to OC).

Can you please correct the above statements as needed.

thanks NightFX

I think you might be having the same problem that I first had. Where several drivers installed OK, showed the GTX980M in the Device Manager, but Optimus was not switching from the Intel VGA to the 980M, regardless of the "Manage 3D Settings" in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

If you like, you could try this;

1. Fully uninstall existing NVidia drivers
  2. download and install this 347.12 diver and modified INF from v347.12 Windows 8 64bit | NVIDIA Desktop/Mobile OEM - GeForce r346 series - LaptopVideo2Go Forums (This diver seems to be very happy to work well with anything)
  3. From what I understand, using any 347 driver and Prema's vBIOS you will get a 10% drop in performance, and this seems correct from when I tried those two together, but at least you will discover if its a Optimus/driver problem, and not some other issue.
  4. If this dose solve the problem you can either flash the STOCK vBIOS back and install the another 347 driver like the 347.52 and mod INF (which is what I did to get back the 100% performance on stock clocks).
  5. Or, keep the modified vBIOS and keep trying other divers that get Optimus to work on your configuration.

Hope this helps,

Cheers NightFX

Yeah thanks, that seems to have gotten it going for me.

7h2KW2h.png

I ran 3DMark Fire Strike and got a score of 1280; not great I take it? Also my CPU turbo was lower than stock..........so that was weird:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,CLEVO P150EM

I'd try going back to stock vbios as you say but it may have slipped my mind to back up my original...........

From my side it's better but not ideal. I re-install a full W8 and tried many drivers (DL'ed from laptopvideotogo with modded inf file) but none of them succeed to install, it stops while installing (it passes the detecting step), all except 347.12. anyway it's not a bad driver, I can reach 75 fps in ultimate on tomb raider bench, which is awesome anyway.

Maybe it has something to do with eurocom vbios.

From my side it's better but not ideal. I re-install a full W8 and tried many drivers (DL'ed from laptopvideotogo with modded inf file) but none of them succeed to install, it stops while installing (it passes the detecting step), all except 347.12. anyway it's not a bad driver, I can reach 75 fps in ultimate on tomb raider bench, which is awesome anyway.

If you bought your card from Mythlogic or Eurocom they also send you a system BIOS.

You can install any driver you like with that without the need to mod the inf.

Actually this is the theory ;).

They sent me a Vbios but it doesn't really fix this issue. I am wondering if the operation finally succeeded although it was telling so, and I also see a modded bios version in nvidia inspector.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to buy one for my 980m for P170em, where recommended to buy the 980M?

I live in Italy

It happened sweet with eurocom, and you have a 10% discount if you have an ebay id, which is mitigating their high price in regards to other sellers.

I'm not sure if my experience is the same as everyone else, but I have tried the modified vBios on 3 separate occasions (and then re-flashed the stock vBios back)and have tried it with;

345.20 Mr Fox

and none of these drivers and the Modified vBios has been as good as the stock vBios and 347.52 (or 347.71).

Any driver I have tried with the Modified vBios has resulted in a Fire Strike score of between 5800 and 7850, mostly the lower end.

Using Stock vBios and 347.52 I consistently get between 7950 and 8100.

If someone can recommended non347 driver to use with the modified vBios I would love to hear which one.

cheers NightFX

sorry little up. For the uefi , is it necessary to change the bios in uefi and re-instal w7 ? Because i have buy a gtx 970m at "ceg hardcorecustome" and they have send me this message : We sell only original card from Clevo with original bios from Clevo. Many customers buy from us and flash for custom bios. What I know, you need OS with UEFi boot and mod drivers.

what about you?

I just succeed to install a non-347.12 driver thanks to prema who indicated me the good bios version. I could install a 345.20 version with overclock support. I didn't make so much measurements else thank TR that gave a incredible 82fps avg (without overclock - I had 73fps on 347.12), But I don't feel I'll have room for improvement with overclocking. I run at more than 80degres on BF4 with fan almost at max... I need to recheck mounting and how thermal paste was applied, but anyway...

I need also to check 3D options, as I feel I had double buffering enabled on the 347.12 benchmark.