980M seems to be compatible with EM series

zhubonan

Good luck with your new 980M.

Depending on where you ordered your new 980M, you will also need to by a sheet of thermal pads (I brought 1mm and 0.5mm) to build up the required thicknesses.

Also, check that the GTX675 heat sink fits the 980M correctly. The GTX680M did (same form factor and component layout), so hopefully yours will to.

Question: I have the 680m now with proper fitting thermal pads. Would I need ADDITIONAL pads to make the 680m heatsink work on the 980m?

Thanks in advance for any and all info, the more info the better, as I am considering buying a 980m (or 970m) without a new heat sink.

Edit: If you have pics of the card and heatsink that you installed that would be helpful too!

Edit2: It seems a lot of the answers can be found by looking at the heatsink configurations here: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/vgas%281%29ec The new P170EM heatsinks (are basically P170SM ones) have an additional copper pipe for the GPU die which will no doubt offer better cooling. However at the same TDP as the 680M, the 980M should at least run comparatively hot with same 680M heatsink and pads. New pads may be in order for new style heatsink, but not even sure if that's true.

Anyone knows where I could purchase a GTX980M? The only one I've seen so far is from upgrademonkey through ebay which costs about 900 bucks.

Check out my post above, Eurocom has them as well, specifically for the EM's. Eurocom VGA

Add coupon code 150131AW10EB in the order's Notes section for a 10% discount this month. (note Canadian retailer, CAD prices by default, but they do export)

Edit: rogueagent6 beat me to it. But at least now you got the coupon code. :)

Question: I have the 680m now with proper fitting thermal pads. Would I need ADDITIONAL pads to make the 680m heatsink work on the 980m?

Thanks in advance for any and all info, the more info the better, as I am considering buying a 980m (or 970m) without a new heat sink.

Edit: If you have pics of the card and heatsink that you installed that would be helpful too!

Edit2: It seems a lot of the answers can be found by looking at the heatsink configurations here: Eurocom VGA The new P170EM heatsinks (are basically P170SM ones) have an additional copper pipe for the GPU die which will no doubt offer better cooling. However at the same TDP as the 680M, the 980M should at least run comparatively hot with same 680M heatsink and pads. New pads may be in order for new style heatsink, but not even sure if that's true.

Unless you buy 980M upgrade kit that has all the extra bits (heat sink, thermal pads and thermal paste), you will need some extra thermal pads (and paste);

GTX980M. post-32196-14494999363254_thumb.png

If you compare the highlighted area, you can see that the top section of components on the 980M is wider than the 680M. While the heatsink will cover this whole section, the existing thermal pads wont, extra pads will be needed.

post-32196-14494999363604_thumb.jpg GTX980M installed in my P170EM using existing 680M brackets, screws and heatsink. Additional thermal pads needed and new thermal paste.

I replaced all the old thermal pads with 11.0watt/mk rating Fujipoly/ModRight pads and Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound, and so far no heat issues.

It would certainly be easier to get everything as a kit if the price is right.

hope this helps.

Cheers.

post-32196-14494999362848_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Edit2: It seems a lot of the answers can be found by looking at the heatsink configurations here: Eurocom VGA The new P170EM heatsinks (are basically P170SM ones) have an additional copper pipe for the GPU die which will no doubt offer better cooling. However at the same TDP as the 680M, the 980M should at least run comparatively hot with same 680M heatsink and pads. New pads may be in order for new style heatsink, but not even sure if that's true.

Yes, you will need one more pad. The 980m has a 3rd power phase, so you should have a thermal pad on that 3rd inductor.

• Thumbs Up 1

When you got yours from rjtech, which clevo model did you select from the drop-down menu? Wondering which one would fit my P150EM.

Selected the p170-sm as I have a 170em. As you have a 150 you should

You'd have to select the one for the P150SM-A (same geometry as P150EM)

I should note that I am yet to receive mine, it cleared customs yesterday so I should have it in my hands late this week or early next week.

I ordered a 980m from rj and it arrived with heatsink and thermal pads already applied as well as the thermal paste on it. i got it with the screwset just incase something was different but it was the same. i have a p370em and ordered for a 370sm-a or whatever model they had that was equivalent. first thing i noticed was that the heatsink was one solid piece vs thold heatsinks where the ram + goodies is a separate piece from the gpu core heatsink. it was the same shape and fit into the case fine. the cover didnt close though so i had to cut it up a lil bit and it closed fine. the gpu works fine but the notebook cant identify it. says empty in bios. windows doesnt know what it is either so you have to modify the nvidia driver inf to install it. Very easy to do and ill be willing to share the inf with you if you cant figure it out.

ive had this gpu in my 370em for about 3 weeks now and its been fantastic. im getting much better performance from one 980m then i was from my crossfire 7970m. heat has gone up as high as 79c but thats as high as ive seen it go.(might be cooler on better paste) i do plan on ordering another 980m for some sli action when i get the money together.

if your not confortable on modding drivers and running your computer with driver signature enforcement off i would hold out on your order until prema can update the bios on the mobo to support it.

my tip for those wanting to do it anyway: "bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" and then “bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON”

• Thumbs Up 2

Recieved and installed my 980m from rjtech this afternoon and can confirm its a straight plug and play with the drivers listed in this thread here

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/8361-980m-seems-compatible-em-series-2.html#post119999

had to use these as drivers from the Nvidia site wouldn't install

pic

post-7765-14494999369361_thumb.jpg

got 8000 in fire strike first run without running ixtu to boost turbo mode and with stock bios

:Banane31::Banane31::bananapartyhat::bananapartyhat::Banane31::bananapartyhat::Banane54::Banane11::Banane43::bananapowerslide::Banane21::Banane10::Banane53::Banane20:

possibly found out why my 675mx crapped out to, seems that one of the heatpipes fractured and pissed all of its blue liquid out

• Thumbs Up 1

toopy one think i noticed with my computer is when im gaming and the power cable unplugs the card clocks itself down like it should for battery use but wont return to normal clocks when plugged back in. only thing that seems to fix it is a reboot. works fine if the power falls out when not under load. just wondering if your does too or if its just me somehow.

I ordered a 980m from rj and it arrived with heatsink and thermal pads already applied as well as the thermal paste on it. i got it with the screwset just incase something was different but it was the same. i have a p370em and ordered for a 370sm-a or whatever model they had that was equivalent. first thing i noticed was that the heatsink was one solid piece vs thold heatsinks where the ram + goodies is a separate piece from the gpu core heatsink. it was the same shape and fit into the case fine. the cover didnt close though so i had to cut it up a lil bit and it closed fine. the gpu works fine but the notebook cant identify it. says empty in bios. windows doesnt know what it is either so you have to modify the nvidia driver inf to install it. Very easy to do and ill be willing to share the inf with you if you cant figure it out.

ive had this gpu in my 370em for about 3 weeks now and its been fantastic. im getting much better performance from one 980m then i was from my crossfire 7970m. heat has gone up as high as 79c but thats as high as ive seen it go.(might be cooler on better paste) i do plan on ordering another 980m for some sli action when i get the money together.

if your not confortable on modding drivers and running your computer with driver signature enforcement off i would hold out on your order until prema can update the bios on the mobo to support it.

my tip for those wanting to do it anyway: "bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" and then “bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON”

I manage to get hold of a 980m to test this out and I got the same result as well, the bios cannot detect the card. May I know should I modify the drivers for my P150EM to make it work?

driver .inf mod is necessary, otherwise the driver install wont detect compatible hardware. bios saying "empty" doesnt really matter though, u can just ignore that :) as long as u get a display output ure good to go!

Is there a guide I could follow to mod the drivers?

Hi InfectedSonic,

Can you please explain what this change dose? Also is this done in DOS, or using CMD.exe??

thanks in advance.

Cheers NightFX

You can try this driver from www.laptopvideo2go.com, I found it worked "as is - stock".

v347.12 Windows 8 64bit | NVIDIA Desktop/Mobile OEM - GeForce r346 series - LaptopVideo2Go Forums

other Drivers will need a modified INF file.

cheers

just be aware that with 347.xx drivers u cannot overclock ur gpu...

hey folks,just found this post by prema, especially after the info i just gave concerning no overclocks on the 347.xx drivers this should be important to know:

- To make the GTX7/8/9 work properly on P-EM series we need to use a BIOS and vBIOS Mod combination.

- Without Mod GTX7/8, will not work at all.

- Without Mod GTX9 will only run with 347-series driver and only on stock clocks.

- By using an OC capable driver it loses 20% speed even on stock clocks, essentially crippling a GTX980M to a GTX970M.

- The Mod will not require any driver .inf mods and achieve full speed without throttle even under heavy overclocks as well as recognize the cards power-states properly (incl battery mode).

Once the Mods are ready I'll re-open this topic!

Until then please stop asking the same question over and over again! RJgAJZdlsYzbjOrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

GTX780M: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2960XM Processor,CLEVO P150EM

GTX980M: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Clevo P170EM powered by PremaMod.com

sooo in the end, its best to use the 347.xx drivers! otherwise u will have gimped performance on your 980M cards :)

cheers

Hi InfectedSonic,

Can you please explain what this change dose? Also is this done in DOS, or using CMD.exe??

thanks in advance.

Cheers NightFX

you do these commands in windows on cmd prompt running under adminstrator

as for the commands here is the jist.

the first cmd disables driver signature enforcement

the second cmd puts the computer in test signing mode so you don't have to remember to boot with driver signature enforcement disabled every time you turn it on.

there are some security concerns doing this but give it a good ol google if your worried about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Heya Peeps!

Sorry I'm gonna be a new CLevo P370EM owner soon and already have a GTX 970M GPU.

I'm reading around but just wanted to get a clear straight answer from the experts here.

I was just wondering if there was anything special i needed to do to make the GPU work.

Do i need to install windows 8 or will 7 work?

Do i need to be running a certain version of the system bios and vbios for the GPU?

Or will it be plug and play?

Anything else i might need to know?

My 1st ever Clevo machine!

Thanks heaps!

To get the most out of the P370EM with a 970M to work you'll need to flash Prema's P370EM bios and his 970M vbios (Available at his site https://biosmods.wordpress.com/ ).

Both need to be done in dos. Read the Instructions on the site for flashing the machine (can be a bit hair raising Clevo's have a bit of a odd bios upgrade system).

As for OS, I have installed Win7, Win8 and Win10 with no issues.

Done mine a week ago took 10mins in all (took longer to make the bootable dos flash drive).

• Thumbs Up 1

The 970/980 Gpu's will work in a P370EM without the bios mod, however the Vbios mod saves you having to edit the driver inf and fixes a few of the card issues like the throttling and adds some other features.

The reason to flash his machine bios is much for the same reasons, fixes a few things like getting memory to run in T1 state and adds turbo fan mode.

• Thumbs Up 1