980M seems to be compatible with EM series

zhubonan

A v3 beta version is available when you purchase the GPU from one of these shops (public version will follow once I get time to breath...):

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/8663-%5Bgpu-upgrades%5D-gtx7-8-9-p-em-hm-series.html#post118184

God Prema.... always changes impossible thing into possible one. Always supporting you. Thanks a lot

After a few days of testing I seem to have come across some "anomalies" regarding MSI Kombuster furmark (torus).

First off, using the latest drivers 358.91, win 7 64bit Ultimate;

1. With stock vbios furmark gets 115-117 fps

2. With prema vbios 1.1.1. furmark starts at 135-137fps, then, slowly drops to similar fps to stock bios EXCEPT the gtx980m will heat-up until system crashes (119-125fps). Performance loss starts at around 66C.

My GTX680M 4GB card in kombuster furmark gets 55-56fps so at stock the gtx980M is over 2x faster. The prema bios gives a nice boost to furmark, but, isn't stable and performance rapidly deteriorates until its similar to stock except gpu over-heats. This didn't happen with gtx680m which would run around 70C+ stable. Certainly the fps seems more stable with gtx680m while gtx980m performance will slowly go down as it heats up.

Also, using stock bios and NVidia inspector to overclock core +135mhz, there are artifacts at the start of nearly every test in 3dmark 11. No artifacts using prema bios to do the same thing.

Any thoughts on this? I would like to maintain performance. Already using a Cooler Master U3 with additionl CM 12cm fan and bottom of laptop off.

UPDATE: This setup right now will happily play CSGO match after match no problems maintaining GPU temps of around 50C. On the other-hand, I've now come across a game that will make the system crash similar to torus furmark; Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. COD:AW will run and performance will deteriorate until it just stutters and crashes system. Might need to look at heatsink again and see if results change. What puzzles me is at idle, the gtx980m goes down to 22C and actual gaming temps seem ok...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,I was reading this thread carefully, but after all tries, I didn't manage to get the card running.

I removed the AMD drivers (via DDU) and mounted the new graphic card. Then, I successfully flashed the Bios as explained and updated the vBios of the 980M to 84.04.2F.00.79. After that, I installed the 347.12 driver as in this thread they seem to be the most reliable (followed by 347.52. I tried it both with unchanged and changed nv_disp(u)i.inf.

Now I wonder why it doesn't work. Do I have to update the EC as well? Is it the wrong driver?

If so, which file would I need to change in the newest (358) driver? I couldn't find a nv_dispi.inf over there. Or do I have to create a new disp(u)i.inf file?

And why does it show only 3GB? Is the GPU broken, or is it a bug?

I am asking that, because I bought the GPU on ebay from a user who wrote that he didn't succeed to get the GPU running in an Alienware (SLI) but both ran on a Clevo P650SG. And if it is broken, how could I check that?

I posted some screenshots below. Sensors of the NVidia don't work either.

System stats:Clevo P170EMi7 3840QM (@2,8-3,8GHz not OC | Intel HD 4000

24GB RAM

NVidia GTX 980M (AMD Radeon 7970M worked fine before)

Win 7 Professional 64bit

driver.png

I hope that you can help me out somehow.

Update: With the 347.52 driver (I extracted the .exe with 7zip as I found no other way to edit the .inf), the GPU won't be recognized in GPU-Z.

stormyandcold said:
Have you got a picture of your card without heatsink on?

I'm sorry for my late response. Two days after the flash, my laptop started beeping and shut down automatically. I flashed the EC various times (power+battery off for 5 minutes + pressing the ON-key to make sure), but it didn't help.

I even reflashed Prema's Bios and reset the EC but it didn't help. I can't really imagine that this is the graphic cards fault as the notebook continues shutting down even without graphics card.

Anyways, the requested images:

With old termal pads (moved the AMD ones around)

IMG_20151201_232238.jpg

Without thermal pads

IMG_20151201_233159.jpg

I get Arctic Thermal Pads (0.5mm/1.0mm) tomorrow, so I can try it again with new pads. If you have recommendations, please go ahead.

Thank you for your answers. I am using my Radeon 7970M at the moment, because it shuts down eighter with the GTX 980M or no card at all (as Khenglish mentioned before).

While having the NVidia plugged in, the program NVidia Inspector shows nothing, it's all greyed out as if there wasn't any card existing. The Bios also shows an empty VGA-slot with the GTX 980M, but GPU-Z does recognize the card without problem (as visible on the screnshots before.

This happens without any drivers installed as the notebook shuts down too fast. So if the program NVidia Inspector needs drivers, that could be the reason for it.

Also, the last time I tried installing drivers, it told me that there was no compatible hardware on my computer, although it worked before (and GPU-Z recognizes the card).

What can I do now?

In the last week, when the forum was down, I checked the graphics card on broken/overheated parts and found out that one ram stick was broken at the side. Also, the entire graphics card is extremely dirty and some pins are not golden anymore but silver.

Ram-Riegel_2.jpg

Silber-Pins_.jpg

The seller says that it's my own risk when I buy something out of a private hand, although it was not declared before. I guess, I will open a case on ebay and send it back. If you have any recommendations to make it work anyways, please do tell me.

Thank you in advance.

Flash the stock GTX980M vBIOS available on my blog.

On a side note: The seller can not have tested the card on Clevo P650SG because that system doesn't even use MXM cards and instead has a fixed soldered GPU.

He just googled a random GTX980M model without knowing what it is. ;)

Is the GPU also soldered on the P650SG? It was this notebook which he mentioned in his auction (which I wrote before).
Or are these the same notebooks? This would help me a lot if it's actually broken.

Also, I only found the vBios on this site: https://biosmods.wordpress.com/gtx9/ (compatible with the P170EM, downloaded the 8GB version) which I thought that it was the stock version. This was already installed before

Where can I find another version?

PS: I edited the posts above so the screenshots are visible again.

10 minutes ago, ichbinsinaction said:

Is the GPU also soldered on the P650SG? It was this notebook which he mentioned in his auction (which I wrote before).
Or are these the same notebooks? This would help me a lot if it's actually broken.

Also, I only found the vBios on this site: https://biosmods.wordpress.com/gtx9/ (compatible with the P170EM, downloaded the 8GB version) which I thought that it was the stock version. This was already installed before

Where can I find another version?

PS: I edited the posts above so the screenshots are visible again.

That's the Mod version...stock version is hosted under "Important" > "stock" section.

Those contacts look indeed a bit "smoked", maybe try to clean them...

Yes, all P6 models have soldered GPU (BGA), none of them could have been used to test that card.

2 minutes ago, Prema said:

That's the Mod version, but you can use that too, for testing...

Yes, all P6 models have soldered GPU (BGA), none of them could have been used to test that card.

Thank you very much. Now I do at least know that I can get my money back if I can't get it to work.

So my current bios is version 1.02.17PM v2, the vBios is 84.04.2F.00.79 (see screenshots above).
Stormy mentioned before, that the versions seem to be fine. Can I do anything now, or is the card definitely broken?

1 hour ago, stormyandcold said:

Just send it back now asap.  Don't do any more with this card. 

I did what you advised me to. Better pay 250€ more for the card instead of wasting time for nothing.
Thank you all for your help, I will be back when I got a new, working card from a reliable (non private) seller.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys n gals, can anyone confirm Nvidia 361.43 drivers don't work with our systems?  I've tried all 3 versions (quadro, desktop and laptop) and all will cause BSOD due to nvlddmkm causing exception errors.  Used DDU to remove old drivers for clean installs with modded inf, nada.  Had to go back to 359.06.

8 hours ago, stormyandcold said:

Hi guys n gals, can anyone confirm Nvidia 361.43 drivers don't work with our systems?  I've tried all 3 versions (quadro, desktop and laptop) and all will cause BSOD due to nvlddmkm causing exception errors.  Used DDU to remove old drivers for clean installs with modded inf, nada.  Had to go back to 359.06.

361.43 runs fine for me. I am running PMv3. You're running PMv2?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a clevo p370em with x2 670m sli, i've just bought a 980m that was in an alienware 17r5 they purchased the card as an upgrade kit from HIDevolution. From what after reading here and on biosmods I should then flash the vbios by prema on biosmods and this will let me use the card without a driver mod but i cannot overclock, is this correct? or I will also need specific drivers?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...