980M seems to be compatible with EM series

zhubonan

• 4 months later...

hey guys,

i wanted 2 ask u which driver ur running and how 2 update the driver on our 980m em systems.

im running 358.50 driver which is incompatible to BF1 on the other hand prema said that the newer drivers wount work with our laptop.

is there any workaround or something?

also driver installation on my laptop is not so easy, i tried running the newest driver and it doesn t work which had ma roll back to 358.50

what bios and vbios are you using?

im on prema bios v3 and vbios v2 and i can use the newer drivers just fine. haven't installed the latest but im currently on 373.06

if your on prema vbios im assuming your using v1 as v2 has a fix for the driver issues

Edited by InfectedSonic

im on v3b bios, i download the newest driver, run the installtion procedure, restart, driver is gone....

when i open nvidia experiance it wants to redownload the driver and reinstall the driver

if i do that, story repeats itself again...

so trying to install the newest driver leaves me with no nvidia driver :D

so just for fun i treid everything:

the above, most common way, downloading the new 1 installing it =no work

deinstalling software reinstalling = no work

deinstalling all software even in the system manager =no work

deinstalling everything going offline so windows cant install shit and cleaning with DDU = no work

device manager shows me that therre is a problem with my driver....

just spent 2 hours trying 2 install a new driver :D just epic, win10 + nvidia....

now rolling back 2 the old stable system

Edited by chap

4 hours ago, chap said:

im on v3b bios, i download the newest driver, run the installtion procedure, restart, driver is gone....

when i open nvidia experiance it wants to redownload the driver and reinstall the driver

deinstalling everything going offline so windows cant install shit and cleaning with DDU = no work

just spent 2 hours trying 2 install a new driver :D just epic, win10 + nvidia....

Just run DDU and use 372.54 drivers. Should be fine.

Also, ugh, W10. Hate that thing.

On 10/31/2016 at 10:49 AM, chap said:

what vbios are you on? as in what bios you have on your 980m.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, I think I'm having the same problem as Chap: I can't use the new versions of the drivers. It recently got worse because I can't find a way to install the old versions anymore. Here is the whole story:
About one year ago, thanks to the info I found in this thread, I decided to upgrade my Clevo P170EM and replaced the 680m graphic card with a 980m I bought on Eurocom.
I replaced the hardware, used the two files Eurocom sent me "P170EM_EC12.zip" and "Neptune_X_v3.zip", followed their install instructions and got the new card to work.

Later, this summer, I upgraded the OS to windows 10 and I noticed I couldn't use the Nvidia drivers installer anymore: the old version (359.06) that was working before said my computer was not compatible (probably because of windows 10) and the newest versions gave me a blue screen of death after the reboot. I found a way to get it to work anyway: use the driver from Windows update, as it seemed to be an older version, still compatible with my card.

Unfortunatly Microsoft recently updated their Windows update version of the drivers for the 980m and now my card gets stuck with a "code 43 error" and I can't even rollback to the old version. Game over.

So I'm here, thinking that I might need to upgrade the vbios on my 980m. The problem is I don't know what version of the vbios Eurocom gave me. GPU-Z doesn't display the bios version either (probably because the drivers are not working). The bios on my motherboard seems to be v3b, since in the bios setup menu I can see BIOS: 1.02.17EC v3b, but I have no idea for the graphic card.

I downloaded the v2 vbios from Prema's blog, started the ModMe.bat and got the following warning message:

WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.110B)
  does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1558.7481).
Current      - Version:84.04.22.00.F1 ID:10DE:13D7:10DE:1558
               GM204 Board (Normal Board)
Replace with - Version:84.04.88.00.C1 ID:10DE:13D7:10DE:110B
               GM204 Board (Normal Board)

So I canceled the install and thought I should ask here before going further. Shall I ignore the warning and go on, or is there something really wrong?

UPDATE:

Right after I posted, GPU-Z finally decided to show me a BIOS version for the graphic card. I'm puzzled...

7uh.png

Edited by Thymoglobule

Update:
I spent some time searching, reading the forum and more generally getting documented on the subjet and I finally concluded that it was normal to have the "PCI subsystem missmatch" warning in my case. So I flashed the vbios and BAM: everything works :)
A big thank you to Prema for his awesome work.
I'm now using the latest version of the NVidia drivers (375.70), it works perfectly and I'm about to loose good a part of my life playing Civilization VI.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Thymoglobule said:

Update:
I spent some time searching, reading the forum and more generally getting documented on the subjet and I finally concluded that it was normal to have the "PCI subsystem missmatch" warning in my case. So I flashed the vbios and BAM: everything works :)
I'm now using the latest version of the NVidia drivers (375.70), it works perfectly and I'm about to loose good a part of my life playing Civilization VI.

i applaud you for actually reading and finding out the answer on the mismatch, not many people would do that even though it would risk the card lol

but yeah i kinda figured thats what the problem was as i read alot of that issue back when that update came out that didnt work. i personally didnt experience it as im a procrastinator on the drivers. that reboot to enable sli just takes too long.

Edited by InfectedSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6.11.2016 at 1:20 PM, Thymoglobule said:

Update:

so you went from v3b to v2 and that solved the issue?!

didn t @Prema say that the v3b bios is the one where you can choose the drivers as u want and have no modding issues n stuff?! im puzzled

so eversince i cant install any newer drivers i should also go to v2?! i dont get it, maybe prema can give us some intell

side questin, does the p170em support dp1.2?! i read some pages and some say 1.1 some say 1.2 i think that comes from the 580m and 680m compatibility

@InfectedSonic i am on v3b

Edited by chap

6 hours ago, chap said:

didn t @Prema say that the v3b bios is the one where you can choose the drivers as u want and have no modding issues n stuff?! im puzzled

so eversince i cant install any newer drivers i should also go to v2?! i dont get it, maybe prema can give us some intell

side questin, does the p170em support dp1.2?! i read some pages and some say 1.1 some say 1.2 i think that comes from the 580m and 680m compatibility

@InfectedSonic i am on v3b

Your confusing system bios with vbios (video card)

the v3b bios is for the motherboard

the v2 bios is for the video card

from what i understand (correct me if im wrong) the v3b bios allow the system to utilize the 900 series gpu also it lets you use them without having to modify the video cards inf which means not having to disable driver signature enforcement. the v2 bios for the video card changes a few things (you can find what exactly they are from prema website) but it also fixes an issue with newer drivers.(i cant recall exactly what the issue was though)

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, chap said:

No, as InfectedSonic explained I upgraded the bios of my graphic card (also called "vbios") to v2. v3b is the version of the bios for my motherboard and I didn't changed this.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5.11.2016 at 4:32 PM, Thymoglobule said:

UPDATE:

Right after I posted, GPU-Z finally decided to show me a BIOS version for the graphic card. I'm puzzled...

7uh.png

so i got the same vbios version as u got, means i should update 2 version?

didnt know prema released something new?! maybe this will also fix my alway on gpu, would be awesome...waiting so long

wow i cant believe it, new driver is installed.... :D

thanks a lot 4 the help guys

i didn t get that a new vbios was released

still my gpu fan spins up so the nvidia gpu is still active while idle... but i wasn t having much hope on this 1

just to sort things out, after u freshly installed the nvidia driver, is there anything u change? which will put the dgpu fan 2 sleep

Congratulations on your vbois upgrade.

About the GPU fan spinning even when it's idle, I don't have this behavior.

Prema added something in the v3 bios for the motherboard: if pressing fn+9 will toggle max fan speed on and off. You should try pressing these keys.

Edited by Thymoglobule

yeah that was the problem with the 7970m not shutting the fan off. that worked like a charm.

but mit gpu fan turn on and off once in a while and with becoming hotter and hotter after bout 30min it just keeps spinning. i completely reinstalled win7 then win8 then win10 always witht he hope it ould finally just keep shut off but it just doesnt.

pressing full fan mode just cools down the gpu a little so it takes longer time to finally spin up again.

there is no program running that uses the 980m, the gpu activity symbol of the nv driver says there is no activity but still its in idle and doesn t completely shut off....

i seem to be the only1 having this issue and times ago i changed every setting in the nvidia controls and windows enrgy contorl but it just kept spinning, so i kinda gave up on this on ultimately making my buy an ultrabook for office work and stuff because the nois of the gpu fan is annoying af in the long term

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, where can one find the v3b BIOS for P170EM or P150EM?  Cant see it anywhere?   THanks.  (Trying to get 970M working in W10, and I am not sure if Eurocom will send me the bios in a pinch etc.  [think i got the 970m from them on ebay but cant recall 100%])

Edited by bn880

On 11/13/2016 at 10:08 AM, chap said:

yeah that was the problem with the 7970m not shutting the fan off. that worked like a charm.

but mit gpu fan turn on and off once in a while and with becoming hotter and hotter after bout 30min it just keeps spinning. i completely reinstalled win7 then win8 then win10 always witht he hope it ould finally just keep shut off but it just doesnt.

pressing full fan mode just cools down the gpu a little so it takes longer time to finally spin up again.

there is no program running that uses the 980m, the gpu activity symbol of the nv driver says there is no activity but still its in idle and doesn t completely shut off....

i seem to be the only1 having this issue and times ago i changed every setting in the nvidia controls and windows enrgy contorl but it just kept spinning, so i kinda gave up on this on ultimately making my buy an ultrabook for office work and stuff because the nois of the gpu fan is annoying af in the long term

I've noticed this lately as well. Even when running an Optimus bios with eDP disabled my GPU is no longer shutting off when idle. Not sure if it is a driver issue or if the disabled dDP is still keeping it active somehow.

Have you tried older drivers?

19 hours ago, bn880 said:

Hey guys, where can one find the v3b BIOS for P170EM or P150EM?  Cant see it anywhere?   THanks.  (Trying to get 970M working in W10, and I am not sure if Eurocom will send me the bios in a pinch etc.  [think i got the 970m from them on ebay but cant recall 100%])

It should work without the v3b mod. You'll need an .inf mod. People have been having issues with the latest drivers though without the v3b mod.

16 hours ago, Khenglish said:

I've noticed this lately as well. Even when running an Optimus bios with eDP disabled my GPU is no longer shutting off when idle. Not sure if it is a driver issue or if the disabled dDP is still keeping it active somehow.

Have you tried older drivers?

It should work without the v3b mod. You'll need an .inf mod. People have been having issues with the latest drivers though without the v3b mod.

Yeah, actually I got the v3b from Eurocom and flashed, installed a bunch of different forceware drivers (new) that still didn't fix optimus).  Then finally I went with 364.51 with latest Intel driver and Optimus works brilliantly, FPS are good.  Except one thing... now i get hard freezes ever 1 to 3 hours with artifacts on all monitors, and this is with or without running any apps on Dgpu.  Also Flashed Vbios to prema mod V2 at the same time.  Not sure what it is.  Verified TIM and temps are decent on CPU (60-70) and great on GPU (~55-65) when doing more intensive stuff or gaming.

Considering downgrading v3b to another bios to eliminate it as cause.  I have NEVER had a totally hard freeze like this on the P170EM prior to the 2 bios flashes and new drivers.  Tried a different Intel driver and this did not help either.

Edited by bn880

• 5 weeks later...

@Khenglish what do u mean by optimus bios?

unfortunately my dgpu was active eversince i got the 980m, used 3 diffrent windows a plentora of nv drivers and intel drivers, the gpu always worked but was always active and even changing nearly everything in the nv driver menue didn t change a thing.

the nvidia gpu activity panel says tehre is no program using the dgpu but still the fans spins up again and again...

but im going 2 sell my clevo anyways

3 hours ago, chap said:

@Khenglish what do u mean by optimus bios?

unfortunately my dgpu was active eversince i got the 980m, used 3 diffrent windows a plentora of nv drivers and intel drivers, the gpu always worked but was always active and even changing nearly everything in the nv driver menue didn t change a thing.

the nvidia gpu activity panel says tehre is no program using the dgpu but still the fans spins up again and again...

but im going 2 sell my clevo anyways

By optimus bios I mean a standard bios. Prema made me some special bios that makes the dgpu the primary gpu instead of the igpu.

• 4 months later...
What max temps 980M SLI gives on max load? 
I upgraded my P370EM3 heatsinks to SM-A and 680M SLI temps were similar or even cooler on slave GPU. After upgrade to 980M SLI I see up to 13*C higher on slave GPU (73*C and 86*C). Idle temps are cooler on slave tho (33*C and 34*C). I tried different mods (lapping, added extra heatpipe with fins) and even got a new fan but no improvement. I just mention that my CPU cooling is not shared with slave GPU as original EM heatsinks were designed.