980M seems to be compatible with EM series

zhubonan

the fan for the 980m keeps spinning up istead of beeing off, and the longer i use the laptop the more frequent the fan spins up unti it almost doesn t shut off anymore, thats what grinds my gears because the noise level is so much higher than before with the 7970m which was always quiet until gaming

the fan for the 980m keeps spinning up istead of beeing off, and the longer i use the laptop the more frequent the fan spins up unti it almost doesn t shut off anymore, thats what grinds my gears because the noise level is so much higher than before with the 7970m which was always quiet until gaming

The EM with GTX980M we tested on was dead silent when GPU was not in use. (Tested also on W10)

Maybe you need to update the Intel GPU driver manually to the latest version as the old versions have a bug in combination with newer NVIDIA driver that keeps switching the dGPU on and off constantly...this includes the versions on Windows update.

Take a look here:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=select&id=108&lang=en

If your are not using ClevoControlCenter (if you do, then do it in there) set the system in Windows advanced Power management options to power saving whenever you don't need it for bigger tasks.

If we keep it in performance mode that will also keep the dGPU "awake".

so the driver i am using is the right one? because im just reinstalling win10 for the last time^^

i have put the laptop in power saving mode, the windows one as i dont use the clevo center, the gpu kept alive and the fan was spinning

I don't remember which Intel GPU driver version we where using, it may have been a 15.40... modded to work with HD4000 as there was no official W10 driver for it at that time...

The FAN will always spin but very very low in power-saving mode and with dGPU in low power/sleep state.

The CPU FAN be be louder anyway...

could you provide me a link for donloading it?

i cant seem to find the proper one and as i try it for the last time i dont want to make a mistake :D

edit: i now dowload the 15.33.38.64.4252 as this version appears after i click to download the 10.18.10.4252

btw. i love how much power intel uses to confuse their users ;D

It won't be off, just spin on low and silent to the point that the CPU FAN will much louder. It never switches off unless its really cool. It works the same on GTX680M etc...

-.- what the ....?! i could use my p170em for 5 hours without the gpu fan spinning up once with my 7970m and when i just browsed the web the cpuu fan would spin up every 5-10min or so.

so ur telling me that the fan spinning up with 980m is normal? :D

new win10 installed with the drivers u recommended me first thing happen gpu fan spins up...on low mode, which never happened with my 7970m but as i understand u is normal with the 980m...thats so sad

yeah i checked everything, and when win10 is new installed there is no such thing. only windows the intel/nvidia driver and that it, and the fan fan spinning up. but as i understand prema the fan spinning up is normal....

the 7970m fan was never spinning up

@chap:

I didnt see you reply to Premas Question. Did you cheak the heatsink contact? If your problem is not software related it might be that the card is not getting enough cooling from the heatsink...?

If that doesn't work to keep the FAN on low in Windows "Power saver" mode, you may wanna check the heatsink contact with the card.

temperatures in gaming and benchmarking stay below 70°C

and the card is getting cooled in idle mode, so normally it should stay so cool even without proper heatsink contact as the card should be shut off so far taht it only consumes some watts.

my 7970m got like hand warm when it was shut off

@Prema, would it be possible to allow undervolting in your vbios? i cant undervolt with nvinspector, so i would at least be able to underclock and undervolt the card in idle state, because it gets ,865 in idle wich is way 2 much

• 3 weeks later...