980M seems to be compatible with EM series

zhubonan

I'm not sure if my experience is the same as everyone else, but I have tried the modified vBios on 3 separate occasions (and then re-flashed the stock vBios back)and have tried it with; 344.91345.20, 345.20 Mr Fox346.87347.12347.52and none of these drivers and the Modified vBios has been as good as the stock vBios and 347.52 (or 347.71).Any driver I have tried with the Modified vBios has resulted in a Fire Strike score of between 5800 and 7850, mostly the lower end.Using Stock vBios and 347.52 I consistently get between 7950 and 8100.If someone can recommended non347 driver to use with the modified vBios I would love to hear which one. cheers NightFX
If that is GPU score then all those results are too low. A stock Fire Strike run is around 9700 GPU score (with vBIOS and BIOS Mod and on stock clocks):NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,EUROCOM Neptune 2.0

If that is GPU score then all those results are all too low. A stock Fire Strike run is around 9700 GPU score (with vBIOS and BIOS Mod and on stock clocks):

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,EUROCOM Neptune 2.0

Thanks for the reply Prema,

Those Fire Strike scores that I quoted were the total scores, not just the GPU score, which on best run was GPU 9550 using stock vBios and 347.52, and as mentioned above, all other combinations resulted in a worse score.

The only thing I haven't tried is your Bios V3, I am using your Mod 1.02.17PM v2 Bios

My Fire Strike GPU score was 7285 using 345.20 Mod Bios V2 and Mod vBios V1.

cheers...

• 2 weeks later...

I have look the subsys of my gtx 970m and she have a strange subvendor 0371.1558 . But if i look in the official driver the first code is 0376.1558 . Is it for that if it's not possible to put all drivers ?

for me in fire strike i have just 6421 and the gpu 7431 only . With 347.XX 344.XX .

Hi all, one question: it is possible to make the 980M upgrade on a Clevo P170EM that comes with a AMD 7970M installed? I already have the P170EM_17_12_PM_v2 PremaMod system bios installed (and if i buy the 980M from Eurocom, from what i have been reading here, it comes already with a vBios prepared to my laptop, if not i should flash it with CLEVO_8GB_GTX980M_OC_PM_v1 graphics card bios)

Many thanks!

I have look the subsys of my gtx 970m and she have a strange subvendor 0371.1558 . But if i look in the official driver the first code is 0376.1558 . Is it for that if it's not possible to put all drivers ?

for me in fire strike i have just 6421 and the gpu 7431 only . With 347.XX 344.XX .

You have to change the 0376 to 0371 in the driver .inf. until the Mod gets a public/stable release.

Hi all, one question: it is possible to make the 980M upgrade on a Clevo P170EM that comes with a AMD 7970M installed? I already have the P170EM_17_12_PM_v2 PremaMod system bios installed (and if i buy the 980M from Eurocom, from what i have been reading here, it comes already with a vBios prepared to my laptop, if not i should flash it with CLEVO_8GB_GTX980M_OC_PM_v1 graphics card bios)

Many thanks!

Mythlogic and Eurocom will send you a v3b system BIOS and a compatible vBIOS. Alternatively you can use that Prema Mod vBIOS.

hi prema , i'm little busy . I wrote a new line, instead of modifying that existing . Thanks that work . Is it possible for you later of create bios and vbios for the compatibilty card gtx 970m with P370EM clevo or not ?

hi prema , i'm little busy . I wrote a new line, instead of modifying that existing . Thanks that work . Is it possible for you later of create bios and vbios for the compatibilty card gtx 970m with P370EM clevo or not ?

We are beta testing P370EM atm to make it work 100%...

On e of the issue I have with my P170em is that my CPu is now running at full speed in 3D games. It wasn't the case with my previous card (675mx) but actually the 980m needs to be fed much faster, and actually I dpo not loose too much performance by reducing the frequency, and then save watts for CPU and GPU... It actually depends on games, but BF4 is clearly demanding much.

I am waiting a 3920xm in replacement of my 3630qm. This will not save watt but may be get some more juice from the 980m.

• 3 weeks later...
Mythlogic and Eurocom will send you a v3b system BIOS and a compatible vBIOS. Alternatively you can use that Prema Mod vBIOS.

First of all I wanna give a huge wow to Prema for the dedication to making upgradability happen for laptop users when mobo, nvidia and retailers themselves are slacking and obviously have the ability but just don't wanna.

Second I don't wanna rain on the parade but I just spoke about an hour to a sales rep at Mythlogic and he said a purchase included these things:

1. Nvidia GTX 980M VGA Card

2. X-Bracket with matching screws

3. Thermal Pads (for VRAM chips)

4. P370EM Heatsink

I asked about the bios and vbios specifically and he specifically said that all the modding had to be done yourself and no pre flashed cards nor bios came with the purchase.

I have seen this being mentioned in every thread I have been reading now so I am a bit confused as to what I would have to do if I buy the card.

Thirdly the more I have read the more confusing it's become as to what bios or not to use. I understood it as first flash MOD to premas BIOS for my P370EM, switch cards and flash premas vbios = play with any Nvidia driver and be able to OC further or how is it?

There have become so many stock this mod that now that I for one isn't sure what would give me the best performance if I swap my 680m to 980m in my P370EM Clevo

Again thanks Prema for making it possible!

On e of the issue I have with my P170em is that my CPu is now running at full speed in 3D games. It wasn't the case with my previous card (675mx) but actually the 980m needs to be fed much faster, and actually I dpo not loose too much performance by reducing the frequency, and then save watts for CPU and GPU... It actually depends on games, but BF4 is clearly demanding much.

I am waiting a 3920xm in replacement of my 3630qm. This will not save watt but may be get some more juice from the 980m.

The reason your CPU Turbo kicks in now is not the GPU, but the Mod BIOS. CPU Turbo is entirely broken on Ivy Bridge refresh CPU on stock BIOS regardless of the GPU used.

First of all I wanna give a huge wow to Prema for the dedication to making upgradability happen for laptop users when mobo, nvidia and retailers themselves are slacking and obviously have the ability but just don't wanna.

Second I don't wanna rain on the parade but I just spoke about an hour to a sales rep at Mythlogic and he said a purchase included these things:

1. Nvidia GTX 980M VGA Card

2. X-Bracket with matching screws

3. Thermal Pads (for VRAM chips)

4. P370EM Heatsink

I asked about the bios and vbios specifically and he specifically said that all the modding had to be done yourself and no pre flashed cards nor bios came with the purchase.

I have seen this being mentioned in every thread I have been reading now so I am a bit confused as to what I would have to do if I buy the card.

Thirdly the more I have read the more confusing it's become as to what bios or not to use. I understood it as first flash MOD to premas BIOS for my P370EM, switch cards and flash premas vbios = play with any Nvidia driver and be able to OC further or how is it?

There have become so many stock this mod that now that I for one isn't sure what would give me the best performance if I swap my 680m to 980m in my P370EM Clevo

Again thanks Prema for making it possible!

Don't worry, they will send you the cards with the proper vBIOS Mod, but the reason for them not to promise you the BIOS Mod is that they don't have it yet as the P370EM Mod is still in beta testing...

[to assure proper behavior in SLI under all power states (standby resume/ battery/GPU power saving etc)].

The reason your CPU Turbo kicks in now is not the GPU, but the Mod BIOS. CPU Turbo is entirely broken on Ivy Bridge refresh CPU on stock BIOS regardless of the GPU used.

Don't worry, they will send you the cards with the proper vBIOS Mod, but the reason for them not to promise you the BIOS Mod is that they don't have it yet as the P370EM Mod is still in beta testing...

[to assure proper behavior in SLI under all power states (standby resume/ battery/GPU power saving etc)].

Thanks for your reply!

So if I buy it what I have to do is flash my BIOS first then it should be plug n play (proper assembly, pasting of course)? Or am I missing something? Your vBIOS mod is already flashed to their cards?

Best Regards

Brokendown

Thanks for your reply!

So if I buy it what I have to do is flash my BIOS first then it should be plug n play (proper assembly, pasting of course)? Or am I missing something? Your vBIOS mod is already flashed to their cards?

Best Regards

Brokendown

Abit of an off topic here, but may I ask how much was the 980M they offered?

@brokendown

IF you order a card for EM they will flash a special version of my vBIOS Mod to the card. The BIOS Mod will come soon (so that you don't need an .inf Mod and get proper behavior of the cards).

It doesn't matter when or in which order you flash the BIOS/vBIOS, before or after installation is fine.

@Prema

I know this is a little off topic but I also have an Ivy bridge processor with an updated NVidia gtx970m but with a different brand... With your permission (to the thread starter and Prema), can you update my bios so that I don't have to modify .inf drivers for my Videocard ? I know you can.. Thanks

post-7316-14494999754897_thumb.jpg

@brokendown

IF you order a card for EM they will flash a special version of my vBIOS Mod to the card. The BIOS Mod will come soon (so that you don't need an .inf Mod and get proper behavior of the cards).

It doesn't matter when or in which order you flash the BIOS/vBIOS, before or after installation is fine.

AIght! Thanks. Perhaps best if I await your completed BIOS for 370EM. No rush for me. If I didn't tell ya earlier I gotta do it again! You sir are awesome for making us able to prolong and better our longgivity on the expensive laptops we've already bought!

Let's make devs of GPU's and mobo's and retailers know that they should make the laptop market more customizable like desktops! That's the future or we make it so ourselves with guys like Prema and others!

- - - Updated - - -

Abit of an off topic here, but may I ask how much was the 980M they offered?

If it's allowed to post pricing then it was 725$ plus 90$ shipping to Sweden and customs tax if I wanna buy it. Otherwise moderators just delete this message

• 2 weeks later...

I bought already the GTX 980m for my Clevo P170EM and I'm looking at the Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads.

My question is about the size of the pads and the thickness.

1) The thickness I can buy areplacement 0.5mm, 1mm or 1.5mm. Which one will I need?

2) The size of the pads I found is 100x15mm. Not very big. How many of this will I need?

Thank you

That's probably because even though we can now use 980m; it's still an expensive upgrade. Baring in-mind those who are doing their research before doing it like me and things needed;

1. Those who do this will want to pair it with best cpu. I chose 3920xm £283 used.

2. With new cpu I also bought full copper heat-sink £56

3. Coolaboratory liquid metal pads for laptop kit £20

4. GTX 980m 8GB is around £600+ full eurocom kit.

5. Thermal pads for 980m (unknown variable until I got card).

6. Power-supply. Need 230watt to be on the safe side. Modded power-supplies seems to be the only way right now. Cost is approx. another £100 + 1x now useless 180watt power-supply.

Upgrading from 3610qm + 680m 4gb to 3920xm + 980m costs over £1100. Those lucky enough to have one of the better cpus already will only have to get the 980m. For an additional £300-400 you can actually buy a whole new system so I guess many p150em users are finding it very hard to justify the expense.

Do you need a new processor? My P170EM has a 3630QM and it seems to be handling the card just fine. Already had the 230W power supply so the upgrade only cost a little over $700. Seems to be a decent deal for hopefully extending the life of the laptop another year or two.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone that has put a 980m in a P150EM comment on fan speed? My current 680m spins up the fan pretty regularly just browsing the web. It is a little annoying so if the noise was less it would be another reason to upgrade.

Not sure how often you clean out the fans but might be the time to do that, it's fixed that problem for me in the past.

Otherwise I upgraded mine from a 675m to the 980m and have no issues with fan speed doing regular browsing, etc.