eGPU with Octane Render is A+

garytyler

There isn't much info on this board about using eGPUs for GPU based 3D animation software like Octane Render. I just thought I would post that my experience is great so far. I wasn't able to find much evidence prior to my build so I figured I would make a post incase someone is curious how effective this is in the future. Here are my stats:

–2014 MBP Retina w/ 750M

–Thunderbolt Monitor plugged in the second TB port

–OS X 10.9.5

–Octane Render 2.1 Cinema 4D plugin

–EVGA GTX 780 3 GB

–Akitio Thunder2 without any riser, just a bent open case and the card inserted and the stock power adapter

–RM750 PSU

The only imperfection is that my Thunderbolt Monitor is a little bit less reliable as far as being detected, but it has always been a POS. If I plug it in during the login screen, it always gets detected. I learned this trick before the eGPU but I think the reliability does drop when using the GPU. Either way, it's pretty much a non-issue.

As far as enhanced graphics, I have no idea what that involves to be honest. The GPU renders my animations great and that's what I care about.

Also, after reading this forum a lot, I thought I needed Boot Camp installed for some reason. I didn't completely understand why but I spent a day getting it installed then realized I don't even need it and everyone on here is just talking about it because they are gamers. More power to you guys, though! Thanks for figuring this out and sharing the knowledge!

• Thumbs Up 1

@garytyler another interested to eGPU for rendering here.

My experience started with the mindset of upgrading my business subnotebook for 3D modelling, animation, VFX, rendering.

For cost/benefit reason I choose an AMD card (HD 7950 Boost 3GB), that is working good with C4D, HitFilm and Indigo Renderer.

Problem is I underestimated the time for the availability of OpenCL pure GPU renderer able to work with C4D, so will look next year if maintain my AMD card or go for Nvidia.

How did you work with Octane? Able to offload totally rendering to GPU?

• 2 weeks later...
@garytyler another interested to eGPU for rendering here.

My experience started with the mindset of upgrading my business subnotebook for 3D modelling, animation, VFX, rendering.

For cost/benefit reason I choose an AMD card (HD 7950 Boost 3GB), that is working good with C4D, HitFilm and Indigo Renderer.

Problem is I underestimated the time for the availability of OpenCL pure GPU renderer able to work with C4D, so will look next year if maintain my AMD card or go for Nvidia.

How did you work with Octane? Able to offload totally rendering to GPU?

Yeah. It works really good. I'm pretty sure Octane is only working with Nvidia cards right now :(. There is more info on my newer setup with a Titan Z here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8469-%5Bwip%5D-2014-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-titan_z%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-osx10-10-a.html

I don't know much about Indigo Renderer but it looks pretty nice. No integrated plugin though, right?

Yeah. It works really good. I'm pretty sure Octane is only working with Nvidia cards right now :(. There is more info on my newer setup with a Titan Z here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8469-%5Bwip%5D-2014-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-titan_z%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-osx10-10-a.html

I don't know much about Indigo Renderer but it looks pretty nice. No integrated plugin though, right?

Indigo it's an unbiased renderer same as Octane.

Hybrid CPU + GPU so far, the pure OpenCL version it's just passed to full time development, I did expect first public beta beginning next year.

Will work on any OpenCL available device such as CPU core, multiple GPU (one reason I did go for it), first on the market if Thea didnt catch up.

Did have plugins for 3dsm, Blender, C4D, Maya, Sketchup, Revit, I just tested it on C4D.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.