What PC Games or Ports do you think work best with a console controller?

emeraldnext

I've found platformers to be much more enjoyable with a console controller - I don't get the point of flying planes with a console controller, however, apart from the analog Yaw input compared to mouse and keyboard. Seems to be a bit more faithful to actual joysticks, however.

Super Meat Boy is pretty much unplayable without a console controller, personally.

I do find that games like Shadow of Mordor work well for sitting back and ignoring any framerate drops since you're not feeling it as directly when using a mouse - I do better with a keyboard, but a console controller is the more enjoyable but uncomfortable experience due to the unwieldiness of performing button combos which would otherwise be assigned to letters on a keyboard. QTE's are also a bit more challenging, too.

Definitely not for anything twitch focused, of course. Your thoughts on the topic?

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel there are two classes of control for games. Relative and Absolute, Relative being joystick control as in a gamepad and Absolute being direct positioning like with a mouse.

Racing games I feel like I can't play at all with a mouse and keyboard, and I completely suck at FPSs with a gamepad. It's partly personal, but I've seen it adhere pretty much to that.

• 1 month later...

Pretty much all racing games that support a controller, on a keyboard you either go flat out on the throttle or don't give any throttle, while a controller allows for much more precise throttledosing. I've played F1 2014, that game is basically unplayable when using keyboard and mouse, they didn't even bother to put in mouse support in the UI, so a controller would have helped me out there.

I prefer to play any game with controller, there are some exceptions (star craft, diablo, etc.) since thanks to my profession I spent way to much time with a keyboard and my hands/arms needs a different position so that I can be relaxed while playing.

I like to play sidescrollers/platformers/racing/fighting/action adventure MELEE COMBAT type games with a controller. But the best is when a game lets you swap between controller and keyboard by simply using the controls of the input device. I did that with Sleeping Dogs; controller for melee/driving/interacting and KBM for shooting times. It was great.

Also, Dark Souls. Controller. I need not say moar.

I like to play sidescrollers/platformers/racing/fighting/action adventure MELEE COMBAT type games with a controller. But the best is when a game lets you swap between controller and keyboard by simply using the controls of the input device. I did that with Sleeping Dogs; controller for melee/driving/interacting and KBM for shooting times. It was great.

Also, Dark Souls. Controller. I need not say moar.

I second to that, I also enjoyed playing RAGE with both keyboard for shooting FPS parts and controller for the driving parts

Platformers, fighting games, and I find games that require any kind of precise movement are better with controllers. Oh, and racing/driving games thanks to the ability for analog input for throttle sensitivity. I could never get into playing a racing or open world GTA-style game with a keyboard because of how on/off driving is thanks to the lack of analog input.

So precise movement control goes to a controller. Precise aiming goes to a mouse and keyboard, hands down. My opinion is general and I'm sure there are people who've made exceptions to the general idea.

I've been using KBAM and gamepads since C64, and each has its place, but I tend to prefer KBaM for everything. That's just personal preference but if you're too lazy to go pick up the gamepad off the shelf like me, then even most racing games and such you can manually PWM the button (tap it at various speeds rather than hold it) on keyboard to approximate an analog control. Probably the biggest thing keeping me from using a gamepad more often is games which require a mouse to navigate the menus.

I use a proper HOTAS joystick, throttle, and pedals for flight sims, and I use a DS3 or 360 pad for console ports that were poorly ported for keyboard controls or for emulated console games.

For awhile I played racing games with the keyboard...definitely frustrating times. Then i got a G25 and used that a lot...but later on there were a lot of times I was too lazy to connect the wheel and just used a 360 controller for racing games. Its also helpful on Arma 3 for controlling the UAVs.

I'd agree,I have used a 360 controller for racing games on the PC (although I manage quiet well with the keyboard), not only is throttle control better but steering is also smoother. The PS2 Emulator also works much better with a controller, simply because the controllers are familiar.

I would like to see uncharted on pc...

I'd agree,I have used a 360 controller for racing games on the PC (although I manage quiet well with the keyboard), not only is throttle control better but steering is also smoother. The PS2 Emulator also works much better with a controller, simply because the controllers are familiar.

I agree racing game are better with controller. But FPS is a different story for me if you could custom button is better ex i try playing COD black ops on 360 but there button layout suck (But i thing the pc version allow control to button to be map to any button) but i like the keyboard better..

Generally, anything that has a controller version (e.g. the game was also released on consoles), I prefer to play with a controller. I'm playing Dragon Age: Inquisition on the PC with a controller and loving it.

I have to agree about Dragon Age Inquisition. I started playing it with the KB +Mouse, and it was frustrating and didn't make sense. Then I plugged in a controller, and it was like a totally different game. All sorts of design choices made sense.

The choice of platform/controls actually has a significant impact on certain design choices and game play elements.

play pc games with controller if it support. some games developed for console today much more easy to play like elderscroll and batman. I recommend xbox controller or logitech gamepad(it's cheap!!).

XCOM: EU and EW play surprisingly well with a controller, I actually prefer it over KB+M, which is rare for a strategy game. Smite plays really well with a controller too. Other than that it's usually emulators and third person open world games (GTA, Shadow of Mordor, etc.) that get the most controller treatment.