Interesting audio tidbit on the Y500.

emeraldnext

For anyone interested in (or enjoys the placebo effect of) audiophile topics, I found this interesting note when trying out different audio-output modes on my Y500.

The integrated speakers are fantastic, I could imagine putting on music for a small room with it, and intend to for an upcoming game of Paranoia. (PnP RPG)

But, the problem is when outputting via WASAPI rather than directsound, or checking, "disable all sound effects", in playback devices, the sound from the integrated speakers becomes much more tinnier. I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to anything audio, but I do care very much about it.

It's definitely not related to the Dolby Processing suite there (ugh, compression - I leave it disabled) and seems to be driver based - some kind of EQ that seems to be quite necessary to get anything decent out of these speakers, since installing new drivers tends to muck up the sound.

Doesn't affect jacked-in devices, but there is often a significant amount of noise coming from the motherboard (i.e., static when nothing is playing, regardless of volume) not audible with the integrated speakers.

My two cents on the topic.

Interesting. I thought Skype was making everything from my laptop sound weird. I re-enabled the audio enhancements and everything was back to normal.

I will warn anyone using a USB device plugged next to the headphone jack, it "leaks" over to the headphones. (IE: I am using and charging my wireless mouse and hear buzzing and beeping when ever i move the mouse or let it go to standby.)