[GUIDE] Making a molex-to-barrel adapter

jacobsson

Hello.

I'm new here, and i've been reading up on all the info regarding eGPUs. I'm very nervous about how to make a barrel for the powering of the aikitio. Is there any way i can buy a completely finished edition of the cable, or 2 components that just needs to be connected to each other? i've searched through the forums, and it seems all the links are dead now. I looked at http://www.ebay.com/itm/RockMiner-R-Box-Power-Cable-2-PK-12v-PCI-E-to-3x-5-5mm-x-2-5mm-DC-barrel-plugs-/252249359994?hash=item3abb3bc67a:g:GRYAAOSwnDZT6Udv  but i dont know if this can be used for that purpose?

Kind regards Chris.

Could I buy something such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RockMiner-R-Box-3ft-Power-Cable-2-PK-PCI-E-to-3x-5-5mm-x-2-5mm-DC-barrel-plugs/252249359993?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140602152332%26meid%3D7abd8ff08a634895b766ef3464a79517%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D261644107927

And plug in the respective 6 pin ATX psu connectors to power the akitio in order to make use of the psu power for a more powerful card?

Though, I'm not entirely sure why there are 3 barrel connectors on the other end, I assume you only use one.

Edited by Samurai

Hey if this helps I had a conversation with  scryptminer64 on ebay and asked him to make me a '2 x molex to 12v 5.5mm x 2.5mm DC barrel plug':

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/262278312736?

He said he'll make more for anyone who needs it, just incase your squeamish about making wires, like myself.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2016 at 0:27 AM, Dschijn said:

That are barrel plugs for bitcoin miners and other hardware.

Yes it would work, but you would send up to 90W across one 12V and one ground rail… That 20$ could be spend better.

I'm not concerned with the money factor, I just want something that works and don't have to worry about making.

Though would you need to do the molex adapter version in order to obtain more wattage?

Thanks for your omnipresence support!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

On 2/3/2016 at 3:00 PM, davidexD said:

@Enanoi'm on the software part right now, a damn hell! 

If it fits properly without the pinks, don't worry about it.

Since you are already on the software part, i wouldn't mind helping you out. Send me a direct message so that we don't extend the thread which is intended solemnly to the molex to barrel hard ware mod.

Hi guys,

I ordered one of those "screw terminal" barrel plugs mentioned here.

I see everyone here using molex plugs to attach the barrel plug to. Would it be possible however to use the yellow and black wires coming straight from the PSU? I am going to use a 450W SFX PSU with fully modular cables. I have attached a picture of the cables it comes with.

5614_16_silverstone_st45sf_g_450_watt_80

Could I just use the CPU plug for example, dismantle it, and plug two (or 3 if they fit) black and yellow wires from the CPU plug straight into my screw terminal (the other end connected straight into the PSU)? Or is it better/safer to use molex plugs first, and plug those into the cables going into the PSU?

Thanks!

@maarten Sure, you can (like I did) use the cable on the lower right. That is the 8-Pin EPS ATX power cable for the mainboard with yellow (12V) and black (ground) cables.
 Since that cable is especially to give a lot of power to the CPU I would say it is perfect to use for the barrel plug. The load from the AKiTiO and PCIe slot can be more than 90W.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12-2-2016 at 11:23 AM, Dschijn said:

@maarten Sure, you can (like I did) use the cable on the lower right. That is the 8-Pin EPS ATX power cable for the mainboard with yellow (12V) and black (ground) cables.
 Since that cable is especially to give a lot of power to the CPU I would say it is perfect to use for the barrel plug. The load from the AKiTiO and PCIe slot can be more than 90W.

Thank you Dschijn for your answer! How does this look?

I have attached two yellow wires of the 8-pin EPS ATX power cable to the Positive side (+) of the barrel plug connector, and two black wires of the same cable to the Negative (-) side of the barrel plug connector. (some of the little wires inside got bent out of shape a little bit, it was tough to get them all in at the same time)

The other side of the cable goes straight into the PSU. The Unused 4 pins of the 8-pin EPS ATX power cable are just left into their original, unused connector.

I don't have a multimeter to test the voltage.. Should this be safe to plug into the Akitio Thunder 2?

Thanks a lot!!

IMG_20160220_151913374.jpg

IMG_20160220_151930716.jpg

IMG_20160220_151950598.jpg

Edited by maarten