Sony Vaio Z(2011 edition)

jeffreybaks

<object height="510" width="853">Very cool design, love the hinges on this laptop. Here is the review, this is the first laptop I have seen come to the market that has an external discrete graphics processor built into the external docking station that all models come standard with.

</object><object height="510" width="853">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D81Dr4hVSac?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="510" width="853"></object>

<object height="510" width="853">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx1Q5Maw7Ao?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="510" width="853"></object>

<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqaHcz5usJY?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqaHcz5usJY?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Edited by jeffreybaks
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Founder

I almost bought that laptop, its very nice. I just couldn't pass up on teh price for my XPS 15z though and its form factor + design. That Sony is definitely nice and the discrete external is a nice touch.

Nice but expensive... The 6650 should be a good medium/med high card to support gaming. I think the 2620 is a dual core (4 thread) I7. Im looking it up now on Intel's site to be certain. That's the only draw back in my book.. Everything else looks like a clear WIN.

yep, dual core (4 thread). Would seriously kick butt with a 2630.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52231

Yeah, nice machine, and the official external GPU solution seems very neat, but I can't stop thinking that they should've been able to put a 6650m directly into the system instead of an external box. The GPU box is pretty pricey, they should at least put something decent in it, like a 6970m. 6650m isn't that good after all.

Nice but you can do DiY-Dock and any other laptop much much cheaper and get a much better performance. I'd say it would be much better if they threw in a desktop GPU with AC power in there since it's already "external" (I'm thinking 6970). Other than that, looks amazing. Except for the price ofc.

Edited by unreal25

Cmon people, throwing in a desktop GPU is completely out of the picture and you know it. As much as it is nice to think about the performance gained by that, and I my self have wanted to throw together a dock with a 5970 ATI card, its very much not realistic when it comes to a business notebook like the z. Who wants a dock in the first place to outweigh and be larger then the laptop it self, this machine is all about its sleek design, if a desktop gpu was added it would be massive, almost as big as a small TV. Its small enough, the dock that is, that you could take it off its stand and carry it with you to some place if need be but if it was any larger it might become a problem.

Also really like the GPU they selected for this laptop, its nice to see AMD getting some love with all the hard work they have put in to making there graphics solutions reasonably affordable with a good power punch packed in.

So thrilled with this laptop, first external dock featuring a GPU, Im sure it will do well as everyone loves there Z's.

I like how the reviewer in the second video mentions his take on the laptop, he says its the most powerful laptop hes ever used in its class.

Edited by jeffreybaks

Meh, I wouldve rather had the old style with the dedicated GPU built in :\

They probbaly couldve gotten rid of the DVD drive and thrown in a 550M in the machine itsself instead..

no no nooo.... way..... AMD all the way for middle class discrete graphics processors. Really digging this laptop, so so much!

In some ways I'm not surprised that I didn't know sony was releasing a new Z untill just now, I remember when everyone was still debating if sony was going to be coming out with a new one and the general consensus was that they were not but Im very much glad they came out with what they have now. Id be hard pressed on what to buy though, a new Z or a signature series SA. I don't think I could even chose.

One drawback of the SA is that its vent is almost all the way covered to let out the heat from the back of the unit but thats how it goes sometimes although when I first saw the SB's I said to my self Id never buy a laptop designed like that cause it cant even remove the heat in the laptop since its covering its own outlet but now I want one again. Funny how your mind changes so quickly.

Edited by jeffreybaks