M17x R2 770m Upgrade - Onboard Audio Conflict

Ralkef

I recently upgraded from a 580m to a 770m on my M17x R2. I have the card working perfectly however I have to disable the onboard HD audio for it to work or else I get the dreaded white screen like so many others have also reported with this upgrade. I have have been doing a bunch of digging around on this site and others to see if there ever was a GPU BIOS (vBios) or system (Alienware) Bios update anyone had come up with the resolve this issue. I have seen others request this as well but I have not come across a solution.

I have seen threads for the R3 and R4 where people did swaps of video cards to eventually get their onboard audio to work however I have never see anyone report success with that on the R2.

Many thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Same problem I have. I dont remember how I did it on a friend's R2 but I upgrade to W8 and I have that problem.... Luckily, his old HDD has W7 and working good. I will try today what I think it did: use old card, install w8, install all drivers, expect sound card (his working w7 is using windows's drivers) and then swap the video card.