GTX 9xxM overclocking thread

chap

For those of you who dont know, on the 19th it was officially announced that overclocking will be available again soon on the new drivers for mobile pc's

https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-enable-overclocking-on-geforce-equipped-notebooks/u/9736256

nVidia respresentative wrote:

As you know, we are constantly tuning and optimizing the performance of your GeForce PC.

We obsess over every possible optimization so that you can enjoy a perfectly stable machine that balances game, thermal, power, and acoustic performance.

Still, many of you enjoy pushing the system even further with overclocking.

Our recent driver update disabled overclocking on some GTX notebooks. We heard from many of you that you would like this feature enabled again. So, we will again be enabling overclocking in our upcoming driver release next month for those affected notebooks.

If you are eager to regain this capability right away, you can also revert back to 344.75.

We all know this but nVidia is now shipping new cards with a locked vbios.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes. One of them is mine. Its weird since this is the most beastly machine I have seen... A 4790K and comes with a locked vbios?

It'll be much more of an issue next month, when systems with a yet to be announced new GPU are released.

Those have no known earlier OC-enabled vBIOS available that people could simply return to:

post-1023-1449499953739_thumb.jpg

If nVIDIA doesn't change course and they are shipped to end-user in their current state, everyone who wants to OC these upcoming new GPU models will be forced to use a vBIOS Mod (if possible) regardless of the driver they use.

The sad part is, there will be plenty of ignorant bubblegum gamer-boys that don't know anything about it, and buy this piece of excrement GPU out of total ignorance. Then, when they start using it they will realize that they were gently sodomized in their sleep and infected with the NVIDIA AIDS virus.

you were right, in the Firestrike Benchmark the tests were showing proper OC rates. went to 7300's points on firestrike from 6630.

+135Mhz core clock and around +688Mhz Memory clock. Memory clock has some room to go up but didnt test too much yet, it seems more unstable then Core Clock. Temperatures were fine.

Thank you all! :) will be testing and will update what works best on this system in the near future.

this is an MSI GT60 Dominator GTX 970M model laptop.

Careful pushing the memory so high. Like the VRMs, we don't have a way of knowing how hot the chips are getting and if you push memory too far you'll kill the card in the blink of an eye and have permanent artifacts. I've done it on two cards, one from ATi (Radeon 9800XT) and one from nVidia (260M GTX).

best thing is to properly test how much bandwidth the core needs at its given overclock. that way ull only be overclocking the vRAM as much as it "needs to be" ;) thus, determine the max. stable core clock and vRAM clock, then determine at which clocks u get the highesr benchmark results :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a Clevo (subvendor ID 1558) 960M. Picture caption even says "GTX9X0M.jpg" (GG Prema ;)). So it confirms 960M is a rebadged 860M with higher core clock. Old 860M boost is new 960M base. 79 MHz is a pitiful OC though.

Wow... I could puke... I thought the 960m would at least have more shader cores available (840 pipelines or so, just something in between 1024 cores (965m) and 640 cores (860m). Hope dies last. Hope died right now. Wanted to buy a new midrange laptop next month. Not anymore. Don't know what to buy. Certainly not that renamed crap of a 860m which is over 1 year old at this point. This is ridiculous.

And AMD has nothing to offer for competition, so Nvidia can just f*** around all they want. Nvidia f**** around with bad news until now and keep f**** around. Again... I could puke. If the mod is not publishing this comment because of swearing I would understand it. I am just so frustrated.

Wow... I could puke... I thought the 960m would at least have more shader cores available (840 pipelines or so, just something in between 1024 cores (965m) and 640 cores (860m). Hope dies last. Hope died right now. Wanted to buy a new midrange laptop next month. Not anymore. Don't know what to buy. Certainly not that renamed crap of a 860m which is over 1 year old at this point. This is ridiculous.

And AMD has nothing to offer for competition, so Nvidia can just f*** around all they want. Nvidia f**** around with bad news until now and keep f**** around. Again... I could puke. If the mod is not publishing this comment because of swearing I would understand it. I am just so frustrated.

Yeah disappointing. A 768 or 896 shader GM206 would've been much better. Or even an underclocked 965M which is a halved GM204, similar to how 760M was an underclocked 765M. There's no reason to get a 960M now over an 860M, esp. if its vBIOS is clockblocked.

I have unstable issue with GTX980M with or without OC when IPlay game like Ghost Recon Phantom. Core clock is up and down drastically and caused laging issue. I'm on 344.xx driver with mid vbios V1 prema, my internet 200mbps.. Pls advised. By the way this symptoms also happen to original vbios with 347.xx as well.

I have unstable issue with GTX980M with or without OC when IPlay game like Ghost Recon Phantom. Core clock is up and down drastically and caused laging issue. I'm on 344.xx driver with mid vbios V1 prema, my internet 200mbps.. Pls advised. By the way this symptoms also happen to original vbios with 347.xx as well.

If your temperatures aren't too high, bump the voltage up. I've noticed that Maxwell has really odd throttling behavior when it needs more voltage than its getting and it gets stuck doing that... I watched a 1222MHz core run twice without issue in 3DMark Firestrike and then suddenly throttle both cards on the third run to get the average and I've seen it in games. I'm on 344.75.

If that doesn't fix it, it's possible it's a game issue.

Yeah disappointing. A 768 or 896 shader GM206 would've been much better. Or even an underclocked 965M which is a halved GM204, similar to how 760M was an underclocked 765M. There's no reason to get a 960M now over an 860M, esp. if its vBIOS is clockblocked.

Exactly that. Similar to what happened to the 760m/765m, or a gimped down GM204... any of these solutions would have been better than the worst and cheapest of all: a slightly overclocked 860m.

Exactly that. Similar to what happened to the 760m/765m, or a gimped down GM204... any of these solutions would have been better than the worst and cheapest of all: a slightly overclocked 860m.

Well they won't cut down GM204 any more than 965M already is, so it would have to be GM206 if it has fewer than 1024 shaders. I'm just surprised there is no mobile GM206 at all this gen by the looks of it.

Hi all,

I have a P170em with prema's vbios. Which driver version would you advise for best performance and/or small overclock?

I have been using 347.12 until now as I didn't get the eurocom vbios installed, but now it's done. And I couldn't install Mr Fox's 344.75.