Generic 3D Printable Enclosure

Leaskovski

Hi Guys,

Not sure if some one has already done this, but I am thinking about giving myself a project to learn a new skill in my lunch hours. Basically, my plan is, to come up with a set of schematics in a file that is compatible with the majority of 3d printing vendors so that the community can use it to print their own enclosure, or to get the started should they need to modify for additional functionality.

So, a couple of requirements from the outset...

• Size must be able to fit an SFX PSU.
  • Size must be able to fit the currently listed Express Card and Thunderbolt adapters.
  • Size must be able to fit a dual hight full length GPU also taking in to account and PSU plugs on the end or side of card.
  • Must have mountable slot rack so that the GPU can be mounted properly.
  • Must have mountable holes for PSU to be attached properly.
  • Must have a switch to drive any internal PSU should one be present.
  • Must have a cable exit point for Express Card or Thunderbolt cable.

Things that I might decide to add in...

• VESA mount holes

Ok, if anyone else can suggest thing, I might try to include them.

This thread might not get updated very often, but it is here as a place holder whilst I try to figure out how I can do this. I have some ideas on layout which I will sketch at some stage, so the next post will probably be those images.

I'm secretly hoping that someone else has already done this!

@badbadbad

Yeah, I've only made my enclosure to fit a mini GTX670 + EXP GDC w/o PSU room.

I'm not entirely sure how the HDPlex actually works, is it a stand alone PSU or does it regulate 19V to 12V from another AC PSU?

Looks like it regulates from another AC PSU

HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply (16V-24V Wide Range Voltage Input)

Near the bottom of the gallery page (will have to click "Gallery") it has is showing an external PSU.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like it regulates from another AC PSU

HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply (16V-24V Wide Range Voltage Input)

Near the bottom of the gallery page (will have to click "Gallery") it has is showing an external PSU.

Hmm, I like the idea!

For me it's all about finding space in the Akitio Thunder2 Box and this would probably not fit.

One part I would like to have from the HDPlex is the DC jack, I would replace the existing one for this one,

then I would a modular thick 4-pin solution to split and hook up straight to the x16 interface and GPU.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I've made this for my PE4C with the intent of 3D printing it.

post-29308-1449500026841_thumb.png

But I got back on my gaming laptop and aren't using my eGPU much lately. So I've drop the idea.

I'm dropping the project files here hoping it could prove useful. It may still need some adjustments.

Here.

PS: I took the first filesharing website I've found.

• Thumbs Up 1

So that's where my post went. I was worried I had broken one of the forum rules ^^

Instead of a generic enclosure, I could make one for Akitio Thunder2 and/or for the EXP GDC if somebody provide me enough pictures.

• 8 months later...

@OPeritel I am really interested on your 3D printable design with the measures for the  PE4C adapter, but I cant find the downloadable files on the filesharing website, as it boots me directly to the main page your link, is it possible that you could post it again?

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I recently build an eGPU setup for the first time with an NVIDIA GTX 1070 (https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10081-early-2015-13-macbook-pro-gtx107016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win1081-nasiryahm/) Absolutely loving it and thankful to everyone on the forum for sharing their knowledge. After building it, I wanted to make it look a little prettier so I went ahead and designed and printed two 3D pieces to vertically stand the GPU and the Akitio board (outside of it's metal enclosure). I wanted to share the love.

I have detailed my build on my blog, here: https://nasiryahm.wordpress.com/2016/07/03/3d-printing-an-egpu-case/

And I have also attached the Sketchup files here. The Lower_3D file is the Akitio PCB mount. So long as your Akitio board looks like mines, it should fit perfectly (I would recommend lowering the heights of the pins though, they are excessive, again see my blog for details). The Upper_3D file is a mount for my GTX 1070. 

All question are welcome.

Nas.

3D_Files.zip

• 4 years later...