lenovo y510p and gt 755m

Gillis

Hi everybody,

i've just bought a lenovo y510p with 1x nvidia gt 755m; and i want ask some questions:

1) what do you think about nvidia gt 755m? Its sufficent for run the newest games like far cry 4, maybe at medium settings

2) where i can find a second vga, for the ultrabay support?. And also, do came back lenovo to produce this ultrabay support? because its hard to find in Europe ( i live in italy)

3) I've read posts about gt 755m sli and intel hd 4600, but i'm not speaking english very well so, i want to ask you if i understood: if i use the sli i cannot use the integrated card, and there's no solution for disable it automatically: i have to turn off my notebook, remove the ultrabay and reinstall intel driver (evreytime??) of it i have to do just one time?

thank you for the answer

1. For me its good, medium GPU. You should run new games at medium/high settings.

2. You can buy it at Amazon or Ebay

3.You cant use Intel GPU if SLI configuration is enabled. There is no solution to enable it with SLI. If you want to use integrated GPU you need to remove second card from ultrabay, install Intel drivers and reinstall Nvidia drivers. You must do it all time if you want to use HD graphic.

Well for me I have Dual GT750m-s which are almost the same and they run games really good now that more games are coming out with sli support I would recommend to get a second card. Probably the fastest way to find one would be on ebay.

Thanks for the reply, but about the third question, can you disable SLI when you are not in gaming?, or you must reboot your sistem everytime, remove the secong vga and reistall intel driver

3.) you can disable it in bios if using modded bios for y510p without taking it off, BUT it would be still a drain on your power. no need to reinstall driver if you changing configuration from without sli to sli or vice versa, driver installed only once on first use, better to use integrated graphics first then sli to make sure the drivers are installed correctly.

hi sorry for re open this thread, but i have one last question: an ultrabay gpu is compatible with all models of y510p? for example i have the non sli model with screen resolution of 1366x768 max, it works for me? thanks

• 2 months later...

I'm tired of taking my 2nd graphic card out all the time when not gaming. I do it to save battery life when mobile. When SLI is active, you can literally see the battery meter moving second by second (exaggerating a bit).

I will never buy dual graphic cards again. Sticking with one ensures more consistent frame rates and less hassle. I like what lenovo's done with the y50's in that way.

3.) you can disable it in bios if using modded bios for y510p without taking it off, BUT it would be still a drain on your power. no need to reinstall driver if you changing configuration from without sli to sli or vice versa, driver installed only once on first use, better to use integrated graphics first then sli to make sure the drivers are installed correctly.

Could you or anyone else elaborate on that? Do you mean you could disable SLI and run of iGPU without taking out the ultrabay?

• 2 weeks later...

for games it depends on what games you want to play, i can run league of legends on my i5 single 755m at 1080p and very high settings, world of warcraft runs on high settings, colin mcrae runs perfect, other titles like dying light you need to compromise

I have the Intel Core i7-4700MQ with the GT 750m and it plays GRID 2, Titanfall and a lot of others VERY well. I did get a cooler master pad that helps. I was going to get the "sli" card but the performance and battery life are nice with this combo. I didn't want to buy the bigger power supply just to add an sli setup. Would it be that much of a noticeable increase to add the second card?

I've got the same model of this laptop with single NVidia GT755M card. I think, for the newest next gen games you can only play 1366*768 resolution with medium or just low settings if you don't want massive fps drops...

By the way, If you can make fps benchmarks for a few game with this single card, I would really appreciate it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never run low settings, always high or medium but I customize the settings and always have Vsync on. Usually I just optimize with geforce experience. I have played a lot of newer games and am very impressed with this and how the GT750M performs, but on games that need to run on medium I wish I had the SLI setup. I always use a cooler pad and have unparked the cores, none are parked because I usually have it plugged in, and also use ThrottleStop. I run GRID 2 on 1920X1080 with 4X MSAA and VSYNC on. Titanfall runs at 1366X768 but still looks great and have it set on "optimal" on GFE. I sometimes customize Geforce Experience towards performance and that helps. Here are a couple pics with MSI Afterburner FPS capture. I had to resize to be allowed to upload but all was taken fullscreen and default resolution.

post-33332-14494999507418_thumb.jpg

post-33332-14494999506034_thumb.jpg

post-33332-14494999506389_thumb.jpg

post-33332-14494999506747_thumb.jpg

post-33332-14494999507069_thumb.jpg

Details? How do you disable in modded BIOS?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree with everyone above as far as their issues. I have a Y510P with SLI and the battery life drains fast and I have to also switch to a single graphics card by disabling SLI. This can be done with the NVIDIA manager as well. The heating issues are pretty bad too and some games aren't optimized well for SLI. It would have been better for Lenovo to have put a single card that was more powerful like a GTX but the computer was cheaper than most other gaming laptops.

• 2 weeks later...
the dual 755m's work very well, the only problem is the laptop was designed for 650m's, so the ultrabay gpu overheats

Hi foghat617, you can drop temps quite a bit if you replace any paste with high quality thermal pads. GIYF for finding brands that exceed paste performance which is usually 6 Watt/m-K.

HTH