GTX 680m for M17x R4 (some questions)

Smyken

Hi

I currently have a M17x R4 with a GTX 675m that started to BSOD on me a month ago when I installed at that time latest Nvidia drivers.

From what I have been reading is that NVIDA screw a lot of people with that card as I can find a lot of post with mad people with broken 675m cards.

So I'm thinking of a GTX 680m.

My question is this:

My 675m cards processor is rectangular and I see a lot of GTX 680m cards on Ebay with a square processor.

Will my heatsink fit ?

When my new/used 680m card arrives then I would like to stress-test it to see that it works 100%.

So I would like to ask what's the best way to test a GPU and know that it runs flawless, some graphic test program or just try to play a game at ultra settings for couple hours ?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Thanks a lot.

Found a 680m together with a heatsink that fits my R4 so I ordered.

Hi,

I also have a 675m and it starts to give me headache as well like many owners.

I am also looking to make an upgrade. How is your purchase of the gtx 680m so far? Have you notice any BSOD since replacing with your old card?

• Thumbs Up 1

As well as the 240W PSU you'll need to track down a 100w (triple pipe) heatsink.

If he had the 675m for sure he has a triple piped heatsink (beacuse 675 m is rated at 100w tdp)

For 660m it might have only because it's an R4 but i would not bet on it.

If he had the 675m for sure he has a triple piped heatsink (beacuse 675 m is rated at 100w tdp)

For 660m it might have only because it's an R4 but i would not bet on it.

Ahh, Don't know the TDP on the 660m but it's an easy eyball job to check what HS it has. From what I've seen the PSU supplied is the indicator. 180W=75W GPU, 240W=100W GPU

Ahh, Don't know the TDP on the 660m but it's an easy eyball job to check what HS it has. From what I've seen the PSU supplied is the indicator. 180W=75W GPU, 240W=100W GPU

The tdp of the 660m is 75w..check if you have the triple heatsink... btw 680 is not realy a 100w gpu but for safer reasons is better to have the triple heatsink and as well a 240w psu

The tdp of the 660m is 75w..check if you have the triple heatsink... btw 680 is not realy a 100w gpu but for safer reasons is better to have the triple heatsink and as well a 240w psu
Realy? Guess it's just it's specified upper limit? It does run super cool, best I have ever used so it probably is not drawing that much current.

I have seen two-pipe heatsinks being re-used on the 680m (twice) and nobody reported overheating issues but they may not have had the sort of overhead I have for overclocking. I go around +35% and it increases in-game temps to 75c from 66c :D.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the 120Hz 3D screen.

If I put a Clevo GTX680M 4GB in my R4, will 3D Vision work as if it was a Dell card?

Will I need a certain v-bios?

Will I need to 'inf' mod drivers?

You should only need to mod the driver, The 2gb v 4gb thing is transparent to the driver (or it appears the vbios). With the clevo card you can overclock it over the +135 limit dell set.

3D should work fine unless the card vendor ID missmatch causes the validation to fail. Then you just flash any dell vbios to give it a dell vendor AFAIK. and reinstall the driver.

And, 3 pipe is safest. Sorry for the delay, this NV cra* is taking all my energies!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, ordered. And you use only this one size? I saw some videos and it looks that there is also 1mm or 0.5mm.

Oh sorry, you're right. I had the larger ones for most of it and there are the three raised bits that I used thinner ones on. I think it was the 0.5, but I can't remember.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh sorry, you're right. I had the larger ones for most of it and there are the three raised bits that I used thinner ones on. I think it was the 0.5, but I can't remember.
thermal pads for M17X R4's GPU GTX 680M | NotebookReview

The two thin pads at the top are around the 3mm mark and if you look at my pic dell use some sort of thermal putty there. As I recall the memory was .5mm (or 1mm) and most of the rest 2mm

HTH

thermal pads for M17X R4's GPU GTX 680M | NotebookReview

The two thin pads at the top are around the 3mm mark and if you look at my pic dell use some sort of thermal putty there. As I recall the memory was .5mm (or 1mm) and most of the rest 2mm

HTH

Thanks, I used Fujipoly Extreme 1,5mm, 11W/mK and also thermal paste because 1,5 was not enough, then 3mm and 5 mm. IC Diamond 7 for GPU. Temperature 3°C higher like on old 660M but I think it's minimum difference. Bad is that I cant use it on 100% because one eBay seller send me broken 240W ac adapter so I still waiting for new one and using old 180W which is not good. BIOS always showing me warning and asking me to change it for 240W

I have black screen with new GTX680. If I use also HD4000 then I see everyting. OS found new graphic card and I install last drivers but when I press atl+F7 to swich for GTX680 after restart all what I see is black screen. What should I do? Flash VBIOS or what?

actual vbios version: 80.04.33.00.32