2014 15" MBP GT750M + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [tre87]

Hah sorry for all the questions! Should I use a right or left angle riser? I can quite get my head wrapped around it. I feel it needs to be a left angle riser but all the implementation pics I see they say they are right.

Well that totally depends on the case/system you want to use. E.g. the CoolerMaster Elite 130 needs a right angle riser to support a molex powered flex riser as well. One user cut open his case on the bottom part to avoid using a angle riser and just go with the flex one.

Here you can see (guess) the way I used the right anle riser, it's just to turn the PCIe connection of the graphics card by 90° to the right (to the back of the picture):

post-26280-14494999176588_thumb.jpg

I was hoping to get my package with my replacement PSU before the weekend in order to install it and to take alot more pictures and add other info and how-to's. Unfortunately they lost my package in the local postoffice and the site where I bought it has to make a case for that item and a lot of other stuff before they can send me a new one :(

I might just order somewhere else and return the replacement PSU once they sort it out :\

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned that. I'm thinking a 970 FTW, that seems to be the PSU everyone has the last problems with. I like EVGA do that's a plus.

I have also been trying to find if the AkiTiO is better than the ViDock +4 and I can't seem to find much, only that the vidock MAY be running only TB1 speeds with the AkiTiO using TB2. Is there a difference.

Great work also! I have been looking at buying a gaming laptop but the stumbled upon this and it seems I can keep my macbook for when I'm not home.

Hi th3v3rn

My 970 runns with the vidock but its crap. the benchmarks are good but when you play games you notice that it doesnt bring the power throuh the adapter. for example. dragonage inquisition should run on ultra on 1080p with 70 to 80 fps. i get just 35 to 40 but the card runns on 100%. second example watchdogs. should rund on ultra max 1080p with 70 fps. it does just 30 with the vidock. third example BF4. max settings 1080p should do 80 fps. it does just 40 -50....

so you better dont buy a vidock. its just a waste...

• Thumbs Up 1

I managed to build my eGPU unit at the weekend with a Zotac GTX 770 2GB from eBay. The rest of the set-up was the same as described here. Couldn't have been easier. I'm running both Windows 8.1 in Bootcamp and OSX 10.10.1 happily with no problems.

I sourced the RH 90 degree riser adapter from here: http://www.boston.co.uk/products/rsc-r1u-e16r.aspx

The powered riser cable from ebay here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201099227577

I didn't need to power the Akitio motherboard using this set-up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi th3v3rn

My 970 runns with the vidock but its crap. the benchmarks are good but when you play games you notice that it doesnt bring the power throuh the adapter. for example. dragonage inquisition should run on ultra on 1080p with 70 to 80 fps. i get just 35 to 40 but the card runns on 100%. second example watchdogs. should rund on ultra max 1080p with 70 fps. it does just 30 with the vidock. third example BF4. max settings 1080p should do 80 fps. it does just 40 -50....

so you better dont buy a vidock. its just a waste...

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered the AKiTiO. Risers, 970, Elite 130, and an Antec 520m. Everything should be here by tomorrow and I couldn't be more stoked!

I bet you can sell the Vidock and buy an AKiTiO with out much loss.

So I should be getting everything tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited.

I am checking that I have everything downloaded and updated before so that I don't have any holdups. I have looked over the steps to make sure I am not missing anything. I made sure my install of windows is UEFI and it is. I just updated my NVIDIA drivers to 347.09.

Anything else I can do in prep? Thanks!

I am on a rMBP late 2013 15" with 750m.

So I should be getting everything tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited.

I am checking that I have everything downloaded and updated before so that I don't have any holdups. I have looked over the steps to make sure I am not missing anything. I made sure my install of windows is UEFI and it is. I just updated my NVIDIA drivers to 347.09.

Anything else I can do in prep? Thanks!

I am on a rMBP late 2013 15" with 750m.

Hi th3v3rn

i dont know :-/ i made a mbr implementation via windows 7. just make sure at the begining that the setup 1.30 runs good and the chainloader works fine. @Nando is really the man for this if you have any problems with the implementation. he knows everything :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there a reason he might need setup 1.30? Worked for me without! :)

@Akkarin is using Win7 rather than Win8.x. The bootcamp installion of Win7 uses a MBR installation hence why Setup 1.30 is used to pre-allocate the eGPU to eradicate error 12. Win8.x installed in UEFI mode, as is the default on this system when using Bootcamp 5.x, resolves error 12 with it's newer drivers.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi!

Im new to this forum so please bare with me =)

Like so many others (atleast it seems that way) ive ordered exactly the same setup as u. except for the chassi wich i will build my own out of plexiglass. The one thing im missing though is a decent gameplay video with a couple of popular games. like bf4, farcry4,LOL,h1z1 or whatever with a fps clock so i can see for myself what kind of fps i can expect from this setup. Is there any chance u might be able to do this and post here?

many thanks in advance

/David(SWE)

Hi!

Im new to this forum so please bare with me =)

Like so many others (atleast it seems that way) ive ordered exactly the same setup as u. except for the chassi wich i will build my own out of plexiglass. The one thing im missing though is a decent gameplay video with a couple of popular games. like bf4, farcry4,LOL,h1z1 or whatever with a fps clock so i can see for myself what kind of fps i can expect from this setup. Is there any chance u might be able to do this and post here?

many thanks in advance

/David(SWE)

See Diablo III and BF4 videos provided by @Dschijn at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8571-%5Bguide%5D-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html#post116865

Tested BF4 even with Ultra Settings and it's smooth. But to me it's more important to gain 60+ FPS in busy situations so I lower the quality ;)

I am considering buying Farcry 4 soon, so will add a video of that as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi!

Yes, i think ive watched every YT clip there is of eGpu solutions. while Dschijn actually provided the best one so far, im not quite satisfied =S. For example he´s settings i bf4 are kind of messed up in my taste.[And also german ;) ] Are the gameplay recorded on optimus or external screen?

It just feels like the Fps doesnt ad up to the specs that have been presented in this thread.

For example he´s settings i bf4 are kind of messed up in my taste.[And also german ;) ] Are the gameplay recorded on optimus or external screen?

That have been my old gaming settings. Can record Ultra Settings, but that is not the way I want to play. What do you want to see? ;)

Was on an external screen.

That have been my old gaming settings. Can record Ultra Settings, but that is not the way I want to play. What do you want to see? ;)

Was on an external screen.

Hi Again!

Hope im not being a pain in the ass but here are the specs i preffer for maximum fps/vs beauty

Resulution

1920x1080

Vertial sync off

Fov 90

Motion blur = 0

Weapon DOF = off

CB = off

Hudsize = 30

resolution scale = 100

texture quality = high

textture filtering = high

Effect quality = med

Postprocess quality = high

mesh quality = high

terrein quality = high

terrain decoration = high

antialiasing deffered = 2x MSAA

Antialiasing post = off

Ambiant occlusion = HBAO

if u could test like "locker" or some map like that, it would be great =) Thank u in advance!

/D

Don't know what happend at the old recording, but I tested BF4 on Ultra settings now on Hangar 21. Got 60-80fps all the time. Will upload that video now.

Edit:

if u could test like "locker" or some map like that, it would be great =) Thank u in advance!

Here is another try:

Don't know what happend at the old recording, but I tested BF4 on Ultra settings now on Hangar 21. Got 60-80fps all the time. Will upload that video now.

Edit:

Here is another try:

Impressiv indeed!

if u have time i would love a simular video but with the settings i wrote in last message =)

Impressiv indeed!

if u have time i would love a simular video but with the settings i wrote in last message =)

Sure, but you have to wait a week. Will send my card today back to EVGA to get a free step up to the new FTW+, because I already had two RMAs and all 3 cards had bad coil whine. Card is already packed and ready to be shipped.

Sure, but you have to wait a week. Will send my card today back to EVGA to get a free step up to the new FTW+, because I already had two RMAs and all 3 cards had bad coil whine. Card is already packed and ready to be shipped.

No worries, everything u do is much appreciated. I dont get my gear until 10th of feb, couse i live in EU and apparently mail over here is delivered with bicycles from the US. so it takes 2 weeks to get the stuff.

again thank you for your effort!

/D

Thanks, can you say anything about the FPS? Maybe use FRAPS and record it again?

Weird, I used shadow play play to record and I also had the fps counter on but for what ever reason it is not on the video.

I get a solid 60 fps, it does dip down though when I am running through vegetation. There are some stutters but it seems to be common in far cry 4 from the constant loading of the map. I'll try and get another video up.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2014 15" MBP GT750M + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [tre87]