2014 15" MBP GT750M + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [tre87]

Hi tre87, is your setup working on OSX Yosemite ?

Yes it is, but I mostly use Windows. When I do use OS X, it is for long coding sessions in Xamarin and lots of browsing and it's been totally stable in those scenarioes :)

Hi tre87

I just made my GTX 970 work via the ultra crap vidock on my mbp 2013 750m on windows 7. but now o bought your setup :D can you make a little schema how you wired up all that stuff? i cant find out if or where i ned plug the riser molex connector. is it directliy connected to the PSU? im a little bit confused. some people need the akitio psu and some dont. some people talk about a barrel to molex connection. so i dont know what i really need to do and how to wire up.

thanks for your support!

martin

Yes it is, but I mostly use Windows. When I do use OS X, it is for long coding sessions in Xamarin and lots of browsing and it's been totally stable in those scenarioes :)

Excellent build.. I'm also looking into passive cooling options as well.. Corsair RM series and Asus Strix. Do the fans for the GPU and PSU kick in during normal use.. browsing or working (coding, I code on Xcode) ?

What kind of powered riser are you using.. do you have a eBay link or a picture of it ? I've seen pictures somewhere in the forums that a cut out on the PC case base is needed to allow room for the riser cable and the capacitor to passthrough and back into the case, without the cut out on the bottom of the case the capacitor on the riser will not leave enough room for the GPU to sit properly, is yours done this way ?

Is the EGPU setup hot pluggable ? As an everyday use setup question. My macbook usually stays at home but occasionally I will take it out to work outside from home, I almost never shutdown my Macbook and I usually put it to sleep mode even when I’m travelling with it in my bag. My question, when getting home and reconnecting the macbook to the EGPU do you need to restart OS X in order for the EGPU to be working or is it simply by reconnecting the EGPU thunderbolt cable OS X is able to detect the EGPU without requiring a restart ?

Hi tre87

I just made my GTX 970 work via the ultra crap vidock on my mbp 2013 750m on windows 7. but now o bought your setup :D can you make a little schema how you wired up all that stuff? i cant find out if or where i ned plug the riser molex connector. is it directliy connected to the PSU? im a little bit confused. some people need the akitio psu and some dont. some people talk about a barrel to molex connection. so i dont know what i really need to do and how to wire up.

thanks for your support!

martin

Hi Martin/Akkarin :)

I'll answer your question first: Yes, the powered riser has a molex connecter which you plug in to the PSU.

To explain a bit more, some GPU's requires less power directly from the PCIe port and therefor the PCIe port combined with the AKiTiO adapter and the PSU will be enough. For this setup though, that caused it to be unstable due to the lack of power and I didn't like the idea of having to use 2 power outlets/PSU's. So I got the case and mounted it all up and used a powered riser. The powered riser adds standard spec power to the PCIe port and the AKiTiO board without having to use the AKiTiO adapter. So not only does it improve stability (for my setup) to use a powered riser, it also removes the need for 2 power outlets and relying on the AKiTiO adapter.

I'm planning on updating my guide a bit very soon as I've changed a few things. I'm just waiting for the last part to arrive at my doorstep, hopefully it will be here today. Once it arrives I can update my guide with a lot more details. Don't hesitate to ask more questions though, my guide doesn't cover everything and your questions provides me with stuff I can update it with :)

Excellent build.. I'm also looking into passive cooling options as well.. Corsair RM series and Asus Strix. Do the fans for the GPU and PSU kick in during normal use.. browsing or working (coding, I code on Xcode) ?

What kind of powered riser are you using.. do you have a eBay link or a picture of it ? I've seen pictures somewhere in the forums that a cut out on the PC case base is needed to allow room for the riser cable and the capacitor to passthrough and back into the case, without the cut out on the bottom of the case the capacitor on the riser will not leave enough room for the GPU to sit properly, is yours done this way ?

Is the EGPU setup hot pluggable ? As an everyday use setup question. My macbook usually stays at home but occasionally I will take it out to work outside from home, I almost never shutdown my Macbookand I usually put it to sleep mode even when I’m travelling with it in my bag. My question, when getting home and reconnecting the Macbook to the EGPU do you need to restart OS X in order for the EGPU to be working or is it simply by reconnecting the EGPU thunderbolt cable OS X is able to detect the EGPU without requiring a restart ?

Hey jagung :)

Regarding cooling, yes everything is dead quiet if you're not gaming or watching HD movies. HD movies causes the rMBP to make some noise, while the Asus Strix and PSU remains quiet. Even when playing games like Hearthstone the PSU and GPU doesn't turn on the fans. Playing some DayZ/CS:GO/Arma 3 will make them start spinning, but not alot compared to the rMBP itself. So when gaming there is some fan noise, but while coding, browsing and the likes everything is dead quiet :)

For the powered riser I originally bought one from Sintech (see main post for link) because it was angled and easier to fit. However the PCIe cable on that riser was a tiny bit too short and had me worried so I ordered one that looks like the one Akkarin was so kind to link. However, I bought mine via DealExtreme. Here is a link: PCI-e 16X to 16X Riser Card Extender Ribbon Cable w/ Molex Connector - Black + Grey (23cm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme and if you want to use it in a CM Elite 130 case without cutting you are also going to need a PCI-E Right Angle Riser Card - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

It's not hot pluggable in Windows, and I haven't looked into what it takes to be able to do so yet and if it is even possible. Haven't tested in OS X either yet, but perhaps some other eGPU owners on these forums know? So please make a post in my thread if you manage to find out if this is possible or not and if so how to do it :)

Hi jagung

i can just answer you one question. here the link to the riser i ordered: PC-Ostschweiz - PCP.CH PCI Express 16x Riser-Kabel inkl. Molex-Stromkabel - 19cm i know its not ebay but now you have a picture ;)

Yes, like this one! But as I mentioned in my answer above he also needs a so called "angle riser card" in order to avoid cutting in the case.

Hi @tre87

Thanks for the information. now i understand a littlebit more :D i had an other question witch you nearly answered in you reply to jagung ^^ its because of the angle riser. i dont understand what you mean with "use it in a CM Elite 130 case without cutting". is it a mechanical problem? i can do a lot of custom steel work on the case so my question is if the Angle riser is needet to make it work.

Martin

Hi @tre87

Thanks for the information. now i understand a littlebit more :D i had an other question witch you nearly answered in you reply to jagung ^^ its because of the angle riser. i dont understand what you mean with "use it in a CM Elite 130 case without cutting". is it a mechanical problem? i can do a lot of custom steel work on the case so my question is if the Angle riser is needet to make it work.

Martin

Hi again Akkarin :)

The problem here is that the powered riser and GPU combined is to high to fit in the case and mounted at its designated place. The powered riser's connector goes directly onto the GPU's connector and therefor the powered riser cable goes downwards and makes unable to fit.

To solve that you have 2 options:

1. Cut a hole in the bottom of the case so that the powered riser and connector can fit.

2. Buy an angled riser which angles the powered riser and its connector 90 degrees in order to fit inside the case.

It would be best to find the smallest available and one with a "right" oriented insertion. They don't look to have a right insertion version though, but I just measured and there is plenty of room for a left insertion version and it will still solve the problem. Just make sure that you place the AKiTiO PCB close enough for the riser to reach both the AKiTiO PCB and the GPU :)

So go for PC-Ostschweiz - Delock Riser card PCI Express x16 angled 90° left insertion

It would be best to find the smallest available and one with a "right" oriented insertion. They don't look to have a right insertion version though, but I just measured and there is plenty of room for a left insertion version and it will still solve the problem. Just make sure that you place the AKiTiO PCB close enough for the riser to reach both the AKiTiO PCB and the GPU :)

So go for PC-Ostschweiz - Delock Riser card PCI Express x16 angled 90° left insertion

ah perfect. so i didnt get anything of the parts i ordered but i hope i will get all the stuff soon. when i get the Case i will better understand the space problem with the angled riser i think ^^

im very looking forward to see your updated thread with (i hope) some more detailed photos of the wireing and maybe a schema.

ah perfect. so i didnt get anything of the parts i ordered but i hope i will get all the stuff soon. when i get the Case i will better understand the space problem with the angled riser i think ^^

im very looking forward to see your updated thread with (i hope) some more detailed photos of the wireing and maybe a schema.

Yes, just try mounting the GPU in the case with only the powered riser cable attached and you will see why the angled riser is needed :)

Regarding my post, I hope to get it updated in the weekend, but that requires my package to arrive today - fingers crossed :frog:

And just ask if you have any another other questions or something comes up.

Yes, just try mounting the GPU in the case with only the powered riser cable attached and you will see why the angled riser is needed :)

Regarding my post, I hope to get it updated in the weekend, but that requires my package to arrive today - fingers crossed :frog:

And just ask if you have any another other questions or something comes up.

haha i wish you all the best :D but what are you changeing on your setup?

an other question, i made it work via the vidock and all the benchmarks are really good but the game benchmarks are not as expected. i got a score of 8066 with the fire strike benchmark. because i will have the exactly same setup as you have, can you do some benchmarks when you got the time? that would be great

No wait! Fot the Elite 130 you need this riser: Delock Produkte Delock Riser Karte PCI Express x16 BTX rechts gerichtet

I used that in my old Elite 130 build: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7879-%5Bguide%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-a.html

oh ok. thanks! i couldnt order the left one anyway... paypal doesnt work at the moment...

haha i wish you all the best :D but what are you changeing on your setup?

an other question, i made it work via the vidock and all the benchmarks are really good but the game benchmarks are not as expected. i got a score of 8066 with the fire strike benchmark. because i will have the exactly same setup as you have, can you do some benchmarks when you got the time? that would be great

My PSU had some coilwhine so it had to be replaced and I want to paint the plasticboard where the AKiTiO PCB is mounted :)

The card can give more when it gets the full 16Gbps speed over Thunderbolt and not using ViDock. One thing is also score/points in terms of benchmarks, the other is actual performance and "feeling" in games and GPU load-heavy applications.

There is some benchmarks in my original post, but I will post some new ones once my PSU has arrived :frog:

- - - Updated - - -

oh ok. thanks! i couldnt order the left one anyway... paypal doesnt work at the moment...

Yes, that one is the right insertion version which I also mentioned. However, the left insertion riser also works, you just need a bit more cable and you can achieve the same thing. You just double back the cable underneath the GPU :)

My PSU had some coilwhine so it had to be replaced and I want to paint the plasticboard where the AKiTiO PCB is mounted :)

The card can give more when it gets the full 16Gbps speed over Thunderbolt and not using ViDock. One thing is also score/points in terms of benchmarks, the other is actual performance and "feeling" in games and GPU load-heavy applications.

There is some benchmarks in my original post, but I will post some new ones once my PSU has arrived :frog:

Whaaaaat? why the hell would you do that?!?! xD the colour of your board is awesome!

yeah i think the card is never under full load. and it has a bit of coilwhine but i think when i mount it in a case, i wont hear it anymore.

uuuh cant wait to compare :D hope my akitio will ship soon ^^

I was wondering what the minimum wattage you need in a PSU, I am just trying to do this with a tighter budget (wife and all) and was wondering if the RM450 would suffice. Thanks in advance.

Well that totally depends on the graphics cards you want to use. But in general the RM450 will be fine (most of the time a overkill, but it's hard to find low wattage PSUs with 2x 6/8Pin PCIe connectors).

Well that totally depends on the graphics cards you want to use. But in general the RM450 will be fine (most of the time a overkill, but it's hard to find low wattage PSUs with 2x 6/8Pin PCIe connectors).

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned that. I'm thinking a 970 FTW, that seems to be the PSU everyone has the last problems with. I like EVGA do that's a plus.

I have also been trying to find if the AkiTiO is better than the ViDock +4 and I can't seem to find much, only that the vidock MAY be running only TB1 speeds with the AkiTiO using TB2. Is there a difference.

Great work also! I have been looking at buying a gaming laptop but the stumbled upon this and it seems I can keep my macbook for when I'm not home.

I have also been trying to find if the AkiTiO is better than the ViDock +4 and I can't seem to find much, only that the vidock MAY be running only TB1 speeds with the AkiTiO using TB2. Is there a difference.

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7939-villagetronic-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-vidock-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-unit.html

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned that. I'm thinking a 970 FTW, that seems to be the PSU everyone has the last problems with. I like EVGA do that's a plus.

EVGA is great, but not the most silent ones. If you go for a EVGA GTX 970 get the new SSC (careful, there is an old one with the same name) and the (not yet released) FTW+. The old cards have coil whine/buzzing problems.

Like Tech Inferno Fan linked, the ViDock isn't a good option at all.

Great work also! I have been looking at buying a gaming laptop but the stumbled upon this and it seems I can keep my macbook for when I'm not home.

Are you familiar with MacOSX? There are some new and interessting eGPU Windows Laptops just released:

- MSI: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7626-msi-egpu-dock-works-gs30.html

- Alienware/Dell: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8142-%24300-alienware-graphics-amplifier-%5Bdiscussion%5D.html

EVGA is great, but not the most silent ones. If you go for a EVGA GTX 970 get the new SSC (careful, there is an old one with the same name) and the (not yet released) FTW+. The old cards have coil whine/buzzing problems.

Like Tech Inferno Fan linked, the ViDock isn't a good option at all.

Are you familiar with MacOSX? There are some new and interessting eGPU Windows Laptops just released:

- MSI: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7626-msi-egpu-dock-works-gs30.html

- Alienware/Dell: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8142-%24300-alienware-graphics-amplifier-%5Bdiscussion%5D.html

Thanks, I saw the SSC ones but how do I know they are the new ones?

And I was actually reading an article on those when I came across the eGPU mentioned in the article. It was the cheap ones that go through a wireless port on the laptop. Then I found the ViDock and Nando's warning on their Facebook page. I've only had macs due to their build quality/battery life/ and resale value so I'd like to stick with a mac. The msi's and alienware's are too dang unsightly.

I am familiar with Boot Camp cause I play titan fall and shadow of mordor. I have just been disappointed in the 750m, hah.

So I just ordered the 970 you just linked, the elite 130, the cx500m (this will work right? From what I could tell it has 2 x 6+2 pci connectors) a riser with mole connector (does it matter what side the molex is on?)

Thanks

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2014 15" MBP GT750M + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [tre87]