Macbook or PC for video editing

SuperstarJ

Question

11 answers to this question

With a 1500$ budget for a macbook it will be hard to get something enough powerful to do advanced video editing, so look for a pc in my opinion

I think it's a preference, i've always loved pc's perfs but i've always loved weight and design, easy to use and "bug-free" mac

• Thumbs Up 1

with your budget i would say get a regular laptop. for $1,500 you can get a good laptop with the right specs for 1,500 or less but with mac you are looking at a higher price. Now as for the programs my friend says mac has better video programs compared to windows but if you get a regular laptop you can get it for cheaper and have more money for a good program so go regular laptop

Apple’s operating system can therefore make presumptions about the hardware it will be functioning on because Apple can extensively test its operating system with every piece of hardware it releases. Microsoft doesn’t have this luxury, as dozens of manufacturers create hardware for Windows.

I thinky for 1500 you will end up with a pretty good PC that is far more flexible for than a MAC book. If you are only planning on using it for video editing then Mac is the way to go but like the other posters say you may need to bump your budget.

PC if far more flexable and you will be able to do almost anything with one in your 1500 range. I usually comment to people unless you have a very specific need for a MAC stay with PC, better price, better flexibility.

For college students Macbook air is more than enough. It is also a eye-turner and a conversation starter. But if you would like to do something more than just a regular college based work(Like gaming and any other flamboyant stuffs) I would recommend the the PC. Plus with your budget getting a PC is a more viable choice.

I would go with I PC if your main flow is premiere pro. Only con is the Prores codec exporting is Mac only. Still there is a workaround to export Prores directly from Premiere/AME in Windows. PC is very customizable, and robust at your price of 1500.

An: I7 4790K, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GPU NVIDIA 970GTX without any big storage, and optical drive would cost from Newegg $1.515 without tax.

If you don't live in New York you could probably find most of this parts in BH Photo Video and not pay tax or shipping.

• [*=1]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 - $399
[*=1]MOB: ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 - $139
[*=1]RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB DDR3 (X2 KITS 32gb) - $165
[*=1]GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 GTX 970 4GD5T Titanium OC 4GB - $309

• [*=1]
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III - $89
[*=1]PS: Thermaltake PS-TPD-0850MPCGUS-1 850W 80 GOLD PLUS - $119
[*=1]CAS: CM Storm Trooper - Gaming Full Tower - $149
[*=1]MON: LG 25UM56-P Black 25" IPS HDMI ULTRAWIDE 2K - $199

Its just an example, you could go for the newer socket 1151 / skylake. But I don't justify the poor performance gains with the new intel i7-6700k. Plus the ddr4 memory is extremely expensive compared to ddr3 and not worth it at the moment.

Besides judging how intel is basically just improving energy efficiency / shrinking dies instead of increasing performance, feels not so promising to invest more on a platform that just wont give you much performance for the extra bucks that you are paying.

I personally built a desktop and got another cheapo laptop for my other usages.

Gotta consider for the long term - for any other upgrades or faulty parts, the laptop is pretty much defective entirely.

Build a desktop however, if that one part is faulty, change that instead.

Speaking from experience, my laptop's keyboard broke and I had to lug another keyboard around. Defeats the purpose of a laptop entirely.