Budget upgrade?

Magister Mundi

Hello all,

I have two SLI'd GTX 660s, and although they've served me well, I'm starting to reach a point where they're the bottleneck of my system.

I don't really want to spend a ton of money, but I also don't want just a marginal increase. So, what do you guys recommend? Single-card? SLI again? Other?

• 2 weeks later...

Single Card vs SLI - today depends in my mind only on the budget u have. If u want for right now the best u need to go with SLI. If u can live with good situation a single card top tier is fine and u can of course add a secound one later. About the profiles and the lacking support for SLI today it mostly only occurs at console ports when they are made bad. SO in 90% cases u will be good with SLI. I generaly buy a higher tier single card today, and a year afterwards look onto ebay for someone selling his single card to upgrade to the newer one. That way u can mostly get the card at a half price and u will be fine.

So for now i suggest a single card. What card depends just on ur Fanboying (nvidia, ATI) and ur budget. U could go with a 780TI, or 980 if ur budget is enough. an r290x isn't really that expensive at the moment and also a good solution.

It also depends on ur needs, like u want a silent system, or u want to use low energy.

U should give more informations or look up the benchmarks and infos urself about the Heat produced which will lead to noise because of the cooling and and and.

I usually prefer single card. It's usually easier, more compatible, and (if you buy a good card) it is generally better just to jump to the next single card by the time you want to upgrade (instead of buying a second for crossfire/sli).

That said, if you have a multimonitor setup you may want multiple cards for more output.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Single card is always better IMHO. The only reason to go with sli is if the fastest card on the market isn't fast enough for you. Typically cards are priced competitively enough that you're spending the same amount on two cards as one fast one. However there is no overhead performance drop with a single card and a lot less power draw. I recommend a 970 gtx + a 640 gt or something for physx if that's you're thing.

• 3 months later...

Id pickup a better single card option. The price/performance of SLi is still not justifiable for the performance gain. You will get better overall performance with one single more Powerful card. Trust me. This is coming from a guy who had a Triple SLI 570 setup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

get a single card, like most people recommend: go for the single card unless there's no single card powerfull enough for your needs, only then i would get SLI or CrossFire, cause in a lot of games it will cause issues or have barely any performance improvement.