Re-pasting y510p

sarlatan

For people that have experience in re-pasting CPU, GPU + ultrabay GPU in y510p to give some more info:

What paste have you used?

What are expected gains in re-pasting(temps)?

Is it hard to get to the CPU/GPU/ultrabay GPU?

Thank you!

P.S. I am planing to follow the instructions in:

• Thumbs Up 1

I have non SLI version, so I don't know anything about ultrabay GPU, but repasting cpu and internal gpu was pretty easy, compared to my older asus g73sw. I used noctua NT-H1 and the cpu is now around 10-15 °C cooler under heavy load, it was reaching 100°C before and thermal throttling. GPU is also few degrees cooler, but it wasn't overheating before.

You can download y510p hardware maintenance manual from here http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410p_y510p_hmm.pdf where you have step-by-step disassembly guide

Also you will void your warranty, because there is a sticker on one screw under the keyboard

• Thumbs Up 1

I used GELID GC-Extreme and temps difference is 15 C degrees, and if undervolting, even 20 C degrees so it was worth it. To get to main gpu and cpu you have to dissasemble pretty much whole computer :D. Just follow the video you posted and you will be allright.

PS: It took a day or two for paste to get optimal effect but you can turn computer straight after repaste. So far I am happy with this thermal paste. Just dont miss out any cooling pads when you take off heatsinks.

I repasted the ultrabay with Arctic MX2 and did the "unshrouding" of the vents, as shown on this thread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/7346-unofficial-y5-410p-cooling-thread-well-mx-4-notepal-x3-testing.html

I got zero results. GPU was still maxing at 97-98C. CPU and main GPU were always below 83C so I never touched these. I hear it's a bit more complicated to repaste because you have to disassemble all of it.

Repasting the ultrabay is super easy though.

Regarding the temperature of the ultrabay, I only managed to bring it down by flashing the unlocked VBIOS and undervolting it -112.5mV with nVidiaInspector. It now maxes at 82-83 without any significant performance impact.

I have the single-GPU Y410P, stock everything. So it's pretty close to the stock Y510P.

Disassembly and access is easy. I repasted the CPU and GPU.

I repasted with Arctic Silver MX-4. I saw no change in idle temps, and about 2C drop in CPU under load, but it still reaches the point of thermal throttle. The GPU dropped about 4C under load, but I have never used it at 100% anyways.

Overall, not a big difference. I'd look into other methods of cooling along with repasting.

Same here, stock everything... even the thermal paste. When i run Crysis 3 sometimes get thermal throttle... I want to undervolt but i'm not sure if i know how...

You need the modified bios which comes with the modified vbios for the onboard gpu and then you have to flash the vbios for the ultrabay gpu, if you have it. Then you have to get nvidia inspector and set your voltages. I use -112mv but i was able to get to -125mv stable which reduced my temps from throttle 97C stock voltage to 84C at -112mv. Using IdeaFan would probably reduce this by another 1 or 2C and the case mod would probably reduce it another 3-5C of so.

Edit: My ultrabay was the one that was maxing at 84C, my onboard would stick at about 82 or 83C

Deepcool Z5, generic thermal paste 5 degrees of celcius reduction. i'm thinking of arctic mx-2 or mx-4 for next repasting. well, opening your laptop voiding your warranty, do this if you sure enough. opening y510p quite different from another laptop, a bit confusing first time but i get used now. remove the screws from back cover and take it off, loose another screws behind. then take the keyboard off. flip your laptop and take off its inner back cover, you should see the heatsink behind it.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently repasted my y410p with Arctic Silver 5. You can get it from radioshack if there is still one around you for about $12 or go online and order it for about $9 and have to wait. I had 10 deg less for cpu and 5 for gpu. I did notice that there wasn't much in the way of how to lay the thermal compound on the mobile intel chips and just settled on a straight line down the middle from parallel to the longest sides. I also cringed when I saw videos of people smearing the paste around with a plastic bag or credit card. The best method is to let the heat sink spread it when you screw it down. That way there aren't any air bubbles that trap heat. And as I finish typing this I noticed that this is a post from a month ago so I guess its more for archival purposes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys, i've got the solution!!!

Thermal repasting or cooling pads do not help that much and aren't a acceptable solution. By undervolting your graphics card (which are factory overvolted or something) you will get lower temperatures without crashing and performance loss. Here the link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mdlmr2zz9kbzzbv/<wbr>NvidiaInspectorForY510p.rar. just double click on the file for your card. Thanks to the creators of this files... it fixes the Lenovo y510p. :D

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to repasting my y410p (very similar on tear down) and got some great results. CPU is temps dropped nearly 10c and GPU was a few C lower. This allowed me to bump up my throttlestop multiplier to 32T with 4 cores running (modified in XTU) while gaming. I run -80mv undervolt on the CPU and it hovers around 85 C while playing witcher 3. Made a huge difference while gaming.

I used Gelid GC-Extreme and cleaned the old stuff off with articlean. Took about an hour to tear down and repaste, and the results were pretty much instant.