Y510P Bios Chip Replacement

elementalfx

Hi. Did anyone attempted to solder new bios chip after bricking?

I have seen that some company is selling bios chips for our laptop. I am probably going to buy it. I havent bricked my laptop(jet) but just in case it happens I will have those chips.

BIOS Chip:LENOVO Ideapad Y510P (Dual chips) | eBay

I have also seen other seller but its for Y510, they look same but I dont know if they are actually same, as they come preprogrammed already.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510 (15303) Bios-Chip24.com

Also I am looking forward to buy this programmer if the chip will be compatible. I contacted the seller that I want to make sure what is the part number for bios chip of our laptop. I am too lazy to dissasemble my laptop again to look what part number it is :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPI-Flash-Programmer-WINBOND-ST-PMC-MXIC-ST-SST-ATMEL-/290587546215

Edit: It seems like chips in our laptop are Winbond 25Q32FV and Winbond 25Q16DV And they are pretty cheap to buy on aliexpress.com even if you buy them in bulk so in any case cost of chip plus programmer is cheaper rather than sending it to lenovo.

I ordered one of those chinese programmers. SP8-B SPI Programmer to be specific as it supports the chip we have in y510p and tommorow I am gonna order chips. I have to buy 10 of each but they are cheap. At least I have spare ones just in case.

• 5 months later...

I have seen that some company is selling bios chips for our laptop. I am probably going to buy it. I havent bricked my laptop(jet) but just in case it happens I will have those chips.

I have also seen other seller but its for Y510, they look same but I dont know if they are actually same, as they come preprogrammed already.

Also I am looking forward to buy this programmer if the chip will be compatible. I contacted the seller that I want to make sure what is the part number for bios chip of our laptop. I am too lazy to dissasemble my laptop again to look what part number it is :D

SPI Flash Programmer WINBOND ST PMC MXIC ST SST ATMEL | eBay

Edit: It seems like chips in our laptop are Winbond 25Q32FV and Winbond 25Q16DV And they are pretty cheap to buy on aliexpress.com even if you buy them in bulk so in any case cost of chip plus programmer is cheaper rather than sending it to lenovo.

I ordered one of those chinese programmers. SP8-B SPI Programmer to be specific as it supports the chip we have in y510p and tommorow I am gonna order chips. I have to buy 10 of each but they are cheap. At least I have spare ones just in case.

hi may i know the status of your bios replacement?

SPI Flash Programmer WINBOND ST PMC MXIC ST SST ATMEL | eBay

The EC Bios DUMP for write in a SPI Programmer in Winbond 25Q16DVIQ

y510p EC BIOS 25Q16DVSIQ.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I recently desoldered my BIOS chip and was able to read and write to it using a universal programmer. I flashed it with the modded firmware (hoping everything would reset the bios settings but keeping the modded firmware) but it didn't work. The only solution would be is to buy the BIOS and EC chip and replace both of them for good measure. At this point, I have tried multiple things, such as trying to boot with only one of the chips on the board and swapping the chips with each other. Nothing worked. I have tried almost everything I can think of or what others have suggested but I the only thing that I have hope for is replacing the chips. I highly doubt Lenovo would be able to provide those chips so I'll have to order them from a 3rd party supplier. I have tried contacting chip24.com and waiting for a reply about a few questions I had concerning the compatibility of the chips they had in stock. I will be updating my progress on this form and a few others that are floating around on this site. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this.

On 4/25/2015 at 8:24 AM, godlikebob said:

The EC Bios DUMP for write in a SPI Programmer in Winbond 25Q16DVIQ

y510p EC BIOS 25Q16DVSIQ.zip

I tried to use this dump by programming it to my EC chip which is the same model as you mentioned but it didnt work.

I reprogrammed my Winbond 25Q32FV chip with my backup bios (which I created before flashing the modded bios).

I reprogrammed my Winbond 25Q16DVIQ chip with the dump you provided and it didn't work.

When I try to boot, my laptop turns on, and seconds later it turns off and then turns on again with the fans at full speed and then turns off again and stays off.

Not sure what to do at this point, I know that my 25Q32FV chip has the right file programmed to it since I'm using my original backup, but I don't know if the EC dump you provided works.

Do you have another clean dump, or anything you could provide concerning the EC chip?

^^That goes for anyone else that is reading this.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

After patiently waiting for my BIOS and EC chips to come in, I finally received them today. I rushed to my laptop, unsoldered the old chips an soldered in the new ones. I was relieved when I saw the Lenovo screen and a single tear of joy ran down my cheek. I learned a valuable lesson not to play around with BIOS and ECs or else I wouldn't have been able to recover my laptop. 

For some weird reason when I tried to boot into my windows system it took forever and I received a blue screen with an error stating "POWER_DRIVER_STATE_ERROR". Not sure if it's because I don't have my battery plugged in or if it's because of something else. I did have my laptop hard drive plugged into my desktop PC (so that I could access my files) when my laptop was down. I had some file permissions changed so that I could access some directories but I highly doubt it could be because of that.

After it reboot itself a few times, it gave me a few recovery options. I decided to boot into safe mode which allowed me to boot my OS and log in. I looked through event viewer to see what could be causing it but I didn't really find anything. Could anyone shed some light on what could be the problem here?

Fixed it, turns out it was the previous video card drivers I had installed. After doing a clean install of the driver for my internal graphics card, I was able to boot back into my os. All is back to normal. I guess I learned a valuable lesson not to play with BIOSs and what not. I guess I'll buy a desktop PC and slap my graphics card into that.