Pushing an i7 920xm to new levels by increasing the CPU core voltage

This CPU can really do crazy stuff when there's enough voltage and power (and cooling, lol):

post-80-14494988362458_thumb.jpg

Vantage and the 1024M wprime were done at 30x, the 32M at 30x with a raised BCLK (137.8MHz).

post-80-14494988361289_thumb.jpg

post-80-1449498836193_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks bro! I was hoping to crack 16k Vantage, but my GPU was always at 400/900... no idea why. Tried several drivers etc... haven't found the solution. Will investigate a bit, but for the moment I'm annoyed, was hoping for a cool bench session and I only had troubles. At least I managed some crazy CPU scores. :)

thats beyond crazy , dam that score is friggin amazing. just got my new r3 in today, but been busy as heck so i haven't had the chance to mess with it yet. one thing i noticed though is the bottom panel and heatsink is improved. not gonna have benches for awhile, too busy with family stuff.

Yeah, quite a killer score... heat was overkill as well. Without dice I think I would've melted the mobo.

Once you have some time, let us see some pics of your beast when you have it set up with the green casing. And some pics of the interior... :D

SVL7 did you know how close you are to DR650SE's 1024M score for wprime and thats with DICE... I bow to you lol!

Well, my runs were with dice as well, no chance that I can run 30x with a 200mV core voltage increase without extreme cooling, would've melted my mobo. I tried to beat his 1024M score, but it's pretty hard to find a sweet spot with the BCLK, it always crashed halfway through the test. 30x without BCLK increase was very stable, no crash.

• Thumbs Up 1

did you increase the memory voltage as well?

No, I tried this once with the M15x and ended up in an infinite boot loop... my system doesn't seem to like it, and I'm still on stock RAM :)

Yes, most of the time it was the memory crashing, maybe the HyperX memory will accept the voltage increase. I'll probably do some more CPU benches when I got the new RAM.

• 1 month later...

The thinnest solder wire I have is 0.5mm in diameter and that's definitely too big. Also usually solder wire is rather fragile, you don't want the wire to break when you insert the CPU.

Yea thats what I was thinking about. It's very fragile. Where did you get the copper braid? I might be able to strip some CAT 5 line. If I can get this done, it will mean rerunning benchmarks on the 520M, 540M, and other chips. Not sure if the 540 will be an issue with heat, but breaking out the dice cup would be necessary for the 940XM.

Just hit me, I can use speaker wire. I think essentially your just connecting the pins right? I mean when you jump the two holes, the socket still slides into place once the chip is locked in so essentially it appears your just jumping the pins.

Edited by DR650SE

Where did you get the copper braid?

I used a wire from a defective power adapter:

post-80-14494991692727_thumb.jpg

It's copper, pretty thin, but much less fragile than for example solder wire. For the +200mV mod I used two pieces as you can see on the picture in the first post. The second time I used only one, works fine.

• Thumbs Up 2

Im going to try this tonight. Looks like the easiest thing. Biggest pain is diassembling the system. Ill bet i can put up some big numbers with my 540m. That thing is a beast overclocker. Ill put it on dice if temps are crazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

As I told you in the PM, you might have to measure the voltage of the 540m at load first, if it is significantly lower than the voltage of the 920xm, the VID4 mod might have no effect at all and may require a different pin to increase the core voltage.

For example if the max stock voltage of the 540m is somewhere between 1.0 and 1.1V, the VID4 is already set to 0, so this mod wouldn't have any effect at all.

You need a multimeter and some thin wires, the cool thing is that there are VSS and VCC pins directly at the edge of the socket. They're not the most accurate points for measuring, but more than sufficient. The best would be the VSS_Sense and VCC_Sense pins, the VSS_Sense is at the edge, the VCC_Sense just behind it, which makes it hard to use those two.

I simply used a regular VSS and VCC pins, as you can see in the pic here.

You could also use the VSS_Sense which is at the edge and just any VCC pin somewhere at the edge.

Then start a wprime 1.55 or similar with the max possible thread count and measure the voltage. The value won't be 100% accurate, but a quick look at the VID table will reveal the actual value, just use the one which is next to the one you measured.

After this you can figure out one or more suitable pins for the mod.

• Thumbs Up 1

May have to get a multi meter tomorrow. Any sort of documentation that would give the voltage or program that shows it? I know old core 2 chips read voltage in Cpu-z

Edited by DR650SE

No, there's no known way to read out the VID, unclewebb doesn't know how to do it either, there's nothing to be found about this in the Intel documentation and there's no program which could read out the VIDs. That's why I've come up with this: -first-gen-intel-core-i7-series-core-voltages.html#post9695"]http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/827-[solved]-first-gen-intel-core-i7-series-core-voltages.html#post9695

It's a pita, but it's the only way to do it as far as I know.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well tomorrow I'll get a multimeter and feed you my results. Hopefully they will be good. I can get the 540M up over 4GHz, now I want to get it higher because it's the best chip I have for global points. I'll also be picking up some dice tomorrow and bench the chips with that using the dice cup. Heat won't be a factor, So maybe I can use the full 150mV on the chip. Best thing for me to do would be test on the 520M since that will be a stock chip. if it dies, I'll just call dell :D;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks. Going to be doing it tomorrow afternoon. Also downloaded team viewer. May let johnksss tinker with it a bit. If this works i should be able to pick up some hwbot boints :D Your free to tinker with it too as soon as i get the vmod done. It'll probably be after 1pm my time on the east coast.